The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphone amp with effects and jam along
Stuart Tindall

England, UK
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 4:44 am    

Hi folks,

I'm looking at buying a heaphone amp to avoid upsetting other people in the house. I could do with one I can jam along with, cd or mp3 input with effects such as reverb, equalisation etc.

I'm looking at Digitech 150 (or 155) and Korg Pandora mini, but I'm not sure if the digitech has the jam along.
Anyone tried these two units or have any other ideas please feel free to chip in,

Stuart

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 11:34 am    

If you have an iphone you might find this free app useful;
IK Multimedia has launched a 3.5 update to its amp/effects modeling software, AmpliTube, and introducing Custom Shop. Accessed within AmpliTube, Shop hosts some 200 stompboxes, amplifiers, cabinets, microphones, rack effects. Brands include Fender, Ampeg, Orange, Soldano, Groove Tubes, Gallien-Krueger.
AmpliTube 3.5 is a free download, but limited to 24 gear models including nine stompboxes, four amps, five cabinets, three microphones, two rack effects and a digital tuner.
Extra models can be tested for a period of two days every two months before being bought using gear credits paid for by a customer.
The 3.5 update also implements 64-bit compatibility and an improved preset browser. Among other major additions are new patch slots, sequences for arranging live presets, and improved MIDI control. The software requires a 1.5 GHz Intel processor, 1GB of RAM and Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Supported plugin formats are AU, VST and RTAS.
Credit packs start at $20, but should offer more credits per dollar at higher buy-ins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nod69aTzsM

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/15/review-amplitube-3-5-custom-shop/

J.D.White

Lafayette, Louisiana
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 12:07 pm     Digitech RP vs Korg Pandora Mini

Stuart;

Neither the Digitech RP 155/255 models have auxiliary inputs - the RP 355/500 models do have them > on the plus side - you can edit patches with X-Edit using a USB interface.

The Korg Pandora Mini PXMINI has an auxiliary input for mp3/CD players - but I'm not sure if the software to edit patches is available yet? (note: the editing software is available as of 4/28/11)

J.W.

Gary Chiappetta

San Bruno, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 3:06 pm    

I use the JamHub. With it I can host a band rehearsal if I want to or just use it for practice. I play my steel guitar through a Digitech RP-155 and take the headphone output to the JamHub. There is enough room for lots of other inputs too, like CD player, Computer, etc. I can play as loud as I want, repeat things over-and-over, and nobody will ever throw anything at me because I am the only one who can hear it. It sounds fantastic and makes practice a pleasure. I can play at any hour, day-or-night! http://www.jamhub.com/what/tourbus.html

They have several product offerings, but I chose the top-of-the-line model. I have used all of the features and consider them well worth the extra money.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 3:49 pm    

I use a Line6 Pocket Pod. It has an input for an CD, Mp3 or other player (1/8"stereo phone plug). It has effects and a headphone out.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 4:46 pm    

Get the Tascam MP-VT1 (which I believe is discontinued) or the new Tascam LR-10. I have the MP-VT1 and it is pretty cool. With the MP-VT1, you load the MP3 into it and you can even slow them down. You also plug in and play with effects. The LR-10 does the same, but also records.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 5:16 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I use a Line6 Pocket Pod. It has an input for an CD, Mp3 or other player (1/8"stereo phone plug). It has effects and a headphone out.

+!.

It's cheap, and sounds great with the internal delay for practice.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2011 11:03 pm    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
If you have an iphone you might find this free app useful;
IK Multimedia has launched a 3.5 update to its amp/effects modeling software, AmpliTube, and introducing Custom Shop. Accessed within AmpliTube, Shop hosts some 200 stompboxes, amplifiers, cabinets, microphones, rack effects. Brands include Fender, Ampeg, Orange, Soldano, Groove Tubes, Gallien-Krueger.
AmpliTube 3.5 is a free download, but limited to 24 gear models including nine stompboxes, four amps, five cabinets, three microphones, two rack effects and a digital tuner.
Extra models can be tested for a period of two days every two months before being bought using gear credits paid for by a customer.
The 3.5 update also implements 64-bit compatibility and an improved preset browser. Among other major additions are new patch slots, sequences for arranging live presets, and improved MIDI control. The software requires a 1.5 GHz Intel processor, 1GB of RAM and Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Supported plugin formats are AU, VST and RTAS.
Credit packs start at $20, but should offer more credits per dollar at higher buy-ins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nod69aTzsM

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/15/review-amplitube-3-5-custom-shop/

Hi Ron, I think I'm a little thick headed as usual LOL! When you say "If you have an iphone you might find this free app useful" that caught my eye but as I read on this confused me "The software requires a 1.5 GHz Intel processor, 1GB of RAM and Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Supported plugin formats are AU, VST and RTAS."

So please help me understand if this new 3.5 upgrade is for a computer or an iPhone? Like I said I'm easily confused and I know that ik multimedia makes apps for both platforms iPhone as well as computers. So is this new update for the iPhone or just computers because I only seen the specs for computers. thanks I'm sure I'm the one confused Smile Thanks for the clarification.

Bob Martin

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2011 10:47 am    

I just pasted all those words, Bob, hoping it would be of help while still trying to wrap my own head around it, without an iphone...

Stuart Tindall

England, UK
Post  Posted 5 May 2011 5:07 am    

Has anyone used a Korg Pandora PX4 or the newer PX5?

Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2011 8:18 am    

There are at least two amp and effects modeling apps for iPhone: Amplitube for iPhone, and AmpKit. Either requires an adapter to connect a guitar to the iPhone: AmpliTube iRig or AmpKit Link. There is also a product called Amplitube 3, which runs on a Mac or PC.

If you have an iPad this DEMO is pretty cool. In the video they are using yet another adapter called the Apogee Jam.