The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dual purpose steel/guitar amp
Thomas Webb

Prince Edward Island, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2011 4:34 pm    

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on an Amplifier that might serve as a dual purpose amp for a steel guitar and electric guitar. I like the tone of twangy fender tube amps (such as the deluxe reverb)for guitar but realize the issues of them breaking up with volume. Just wondering what you folks have used for both instruments that have or haven't worked for you.

Thanks

Thomas Webb

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2011 6:46 pm    

I use a Peavey Nashville 1000. It is solid state and designed as a steel amp, so not the best guitar amp but works well with stomp boxes in the fx loop.
If you prefer a tube amp designed for guitar, a Fender Twin Reverb is a popular choice since it can clean up for steel well enough.
They're both heavy amps.

Clete

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2011 8:25 pm    

I love my Fender Blues JR. Its kind of small for some, but it works for me and its light. I've heard from some that it is better for lap steel than pedal.
It works great for guitar also.
There are lots of good Fender amps out there.
I had a Peavey Classic Chorus (solid state) that was great. Nice Crisp clear sound. Overdrive was decent. It was just way to heavy for me so I sold it.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 2:38 am    

I doubt that there is an amp that's perfect for both.

I used to have a Peavey LTD 400 with a Black Widow speaker that was great for steel, but not for guitar, and a Music Man HD 212 (which I still have) which was definitely good enough to use for steel, but not as good as the Peavey. However, when I played with Jerry Eugene, in addition to my MSA pedal steel guitar, I also I played Guitar, mandolin, banjo,(I suck at banjo,) Fender Stringmaster non pedal steel, autoharp, and 12 string guitar, and the Music Man handled them all beautifully.

The only problem with the Music Man is the weight. It's over 70 pounds, and I'm tired of lugging it around. I'm using 2 of those new 22 pound ZT amps now, along with a POD to shape the tone. The ZTs are designed for guitar, not steel, but they get the job done.

There are a few guys who use the ZTs now, because they weigh so little. I know one player who has a Webb, but he leaves it at home and uses the ZT because the weight difference.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 6:43 am    

Take a look at the reissued Fender Blues Deville.
It has two channels, clean and not-so-clean.
It has reverb, effects loop and 4-10" speakers.
Quite an amp. Very Happy

Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 7:13 am    

I was wondering what guitar/type of playing are you doing? Strat vs a Les Paul for example will make a difference when shopping for your amp. Twang vs full sound. Good Luck

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 7:24 am    

Peavey Vegas 400 - Still as good as it gets for the money - Or, use single channel amp and run either the guitar or steel through a 10 channel EQ (which I think I have one at home yet that I don't use)

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 9:30 am    

You can do so much with a twin reverb! Take it to a guy who really knows them and he could do things like put reverb on both channels, a half power switch for when you use it with guitar, and one channel voiced for steel. Lighten the load with neo speakers if you want.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 9:49 am    

peavey vagas Smile Smile Smile

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 9:58 am    

I believe the Fender Twin Reverb is the leader of the pack for double duty. Over 50 years on the market and still in our face ! Why would that be ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 10:32 am    

I'm with you Brett. My Twin has a switch that cuts out two of the power tubes and brings it down to 30 - 35 watts - perfect for guitar. Switch it back to full power for clean headroom for steel. I have a tweed tone stack in the normal channel, blackface in the Vibrato channel and reverb in both channels. Classic Fender sound for both guitar and steel in one amp is hard to beat.

Last edited by Tim Whitlock on 21 Apr 2011 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 10:34 am    

I'm looking for the "like" button to Tony's post. The only amp I know that doesn't sacrifice something for one or the other. When I have to take only one amp, it's the Twin. Lexicon reverb into normal channel for steel and tele into vibrato channel. If headroom demand is not too great, disconnect one speaker for an even tighter, more guitar friendly sound.

Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 10:35 am    

I would suggest taking a look at the Vibroverb unless you need the power of a Twin.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 12:41 pm    

I had great luck using an old Lab amp for steel and Tele. L-9?? The one with the 15" speaker. Love 15s for Tele. It actually sounded like a tube amp! I was extremely bummed when I sold it and bought a Vegas. Back to a split Twin with a 15. Happy!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 1:24 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
I believe the Fender Twin Reverb is the leader of the pack for double duty. Over 50 years on the market and still in our face ! Why would that be ?

Tony, don't you also have a Music Man twin (HD-212)?

How would you compare the 2 amps?

David Ellison

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 3:42 pm    

It all depends on what kind of steel tone you want, what kind of guitar tone you want, and what volume you play at.

I like the tone of a Fender amp on the verge of breakup (or just slightly breaking up) for steel... like the early Lloyd Green instrumentals. I don't need it to be super-clean.

I have a Music Man RD50 with a single 12" speaker that I've used for both guitar and steel... I really think it has as much clean volume as a Fender twin. It usually sounded completely clean unless the band was playing really loud. At band volume, it has a punchy midrange sound that works well on stage. It doesn't have all the highs and lows of a Fender though.

On the other hand, I've also owned a solid state Sho Bud amp that I played guitar through, and it sounded great (to me). It was, of course, a very clean vintage country sound I was getting... most likely not what most guitar players would want.

Thomas Webb

Prince Edward Island, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 4:47 pm    

Thanks for all the help guys. Has anyone tried a 65 deluxe reverb reissue for steel? That is the guitar sound I love the best.

Chris Garner

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 5:53 pm    

Thomas, I had the same question recently. Here are the valuable responses I received.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=189399&highlight=deluxe+reverb

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 6:17 pm    

Here's a thought: what about an independent power amp and speaker(s), with a programmable preamp that can provide a variety of tones and possibly amp models with a footswitch?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 6:30 pm    

Thomas,
As a matter of fact, I'm currently using a 65 deluxe reverb reissue into a split power amp with a 15" JBL. I had a post power section line out installed so it amplifies the sound of the whole amp rather than just the preamp.

I was a little worried that this setup would buzz, but so far it's been working great. I also have a revelation preamp that I normally plug into the split, but I'm liking the sound of the deluxe more right now if that tells you anything, and it can be just as loud. I'm using an mxr eq pedal to round out the sound a little, and an rv7 plate reverb with a touch of spring reverb from the amp. I've only used this setup live twice, and I'm so siked about the sound that right now I'm thinking it's too good to be true. We'll see... It's all bouncing around in the trailer right now.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 6:39 pm    

I use a Vegas 400 for the steel and the tele. Two channels, and each channel can be eq'd any way you want. I have two of them in case one goes, I'll still have the back up amp. Larry

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 1:00 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:

Tony, don't you also have a Music Man twin (HD-212)?

How would you compare the 2 amps?

Mike, not anymore, it was the HD130 , 2x12 . I sold it off about a year ago. I liked it enough but I found it to be too strong for the Steel in the 130 mode and for some reason the headroom was a tad shy in the 65 mode, go figure. It's a great amp though and I imagine that if I didn't already have a barn full of amps I would have kept it.

In comparison, the Twin , for me, has a nicer overall EQ, bright with excellent lows without breakup.( Les Paul alert) The MM was a bit strong in the mids and for certain the stock MM speakers were all about mid range. The TR is just so consistent in sound as you head up the volume knob. Now that being said, my band mate just acquired one and used it on the gig last week, Telecaster only, HOT describes it !

I prefer the Twin for double duty but would certainly use the MM 130 if it was just sittin' there !

I have a very narrow opinion when it comes to Fender Twin Reverbs, I think they are overall the best and most important (or significant) combo tube amp ever made by any manufacturer in the history of guitar amps in the 85 / 100 watt category. evidently I am not alone in this camp as the amp is still leader of the pack after just about 50 years ! For me, when it comes to any amp, it's about Telecaster tone first. Any amp that can deliver 100% clean Tele tone at a good clip will have the ability to "kill" with the Steel ! Think clean Deluxe Reverb tone @ twice the sound level...( not watts,real sound )

My current (and only Twin) is a 71, I acquired it in a trade last year and , well, it rocks ! I did own a 70 which I bought new and used it full time right up to around 91 or so, like a goof I sold it...

Last edited by Tony Prior on 22 Apr 2011 1:11 am; edited 3 times in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 1:01 am    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
I'm looking for the "like" button to Tony's post. The only amp I know that doesn't sacrifice something for one or the other. When I have to take only one amp, it's the Twin. Lexicon reverb into normal channel for steel and tele into vibrato channel. If headroom demand is not too great, disconnect one speaker for an even tighter, more guitar friendly sound.

Michael Dulin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 6:07 am     double duty

Tom, maybe the new Fender Deluxe VM might be a candidate for you. 40 watts tube,on board delay and chorus,40# and can be found at most stores for a discounted price.MD

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 7:08 am    

I side with Tony, he nails it--twin reverb all the way. If you can't lift a twin, do the split cab deal. I put the head next to my steel seat, and place the speakers where I want them on stage---it's soooo handy. And yes, tweek one channel for steel, one for tele. Forum brother Rick Johnson made these cabs.