The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rittenberry steels
Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2011 8:32 pm    

Any Rittenberry owners / pickers that can critique your experience of the quality , tone , and playability , of the steel ? Thanks ,

Skip

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 4:07 am     I love mine!

Hi Skip,
I have played for many years and owned most of the classic brands - Emmons, Sho Bud, Mullen, etc. and all I can say is I LOVE MINE! I still own a Mullen Rp but it serves as a back up as I play the Ritt every second I can! In fact, I just sent Gary a deposit for a second one. In a nutshell - the build is perfect - Gary really goes to great lengths to get it right. The sound is very similar to an Emmons p/p but just a bit more refined. The guitar sounds fantastic live and records amazingly well. Hope this definition helps you decide. I have never regretted buying my D-10 - the Rittenberry is at the top of the heap.

Jim

Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 4:38 am     Rittenberry steels

Skip I have my second new Rittenberry steel and loved them both. They play soooo Smooth and easy and sound fasntastic. Great workmanship and Gary is really into his work and customers satisfaction . He takes alot of pride in his Rittenberry steels. Very knowlegible steel maker.If you can find one to try you would be hooked. Maybe attend a show where he is at and talk with him and try one out and see for yourself my friend, always welcome to come try mine

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 7:11 am    

Hi Skip. I half to agree with Jim & Dennis 100 percent.
I've had 3 Ritts, and the 4th one is being built now. Very Happy
After trying so many great steels, these are the finest
I've ever owned. The pedal action is so smooth & quiet.
They are built with the most precision I've ever seen yet.
The tone & sustain is super, and they are beautiful too.
Gary's the finest & most caring person I've ever delt with.
Carl "Lucky" Kilmer
[/img]

Dennis Ellerbee

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 9:16 am     Rittenberry

I own two of Gary's steels. Been playing them since 2007. They play and sound great. Use one in the studio and one on the road. Never had any problems with them. If you do have a problem, then let Gary know and he will fix it. Have played just about all the brands, and I love my Rittenberry's the best.

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 10:15 am    

I'm on my second Rittenberry. I do quite a few sessions, and I really like the way my Ritt records, the tone is very transparent and sits well in the mix.
JC

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 10:50 am    

I am currently tweaking and adjusting my first Rittenberry SD10 .. it has an Alumitone on it, 4 & 5 ..
I am getting used to it very fast, there is a sparkle in the top end and some serious string separation and tone in the mids and bottom.

Well built and designed, it appears evolutionary which appeals to me. It is no lightweight standing firm on the floor and it very adjustbale in terms of knee lever angles and height.

I will have an update in a week or two after I get a couple gigs on it.. to see if the 705 is better for the music I am currently playing.

Very Happy

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 1:55 pm    

The best out there.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 2:59 pm    

My thanks to all that responded to my post. I've checked the Rittenberry website and it's full of eye candy and testimonies from happy owners. I hope to try one out soon. God bless you all ,

Skip

Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 8:55 pm    

I was fortunate enough to buy a used Rittenberry from Dennis Lee a few years ago. Serial # 006. Smile
This guitar has incredible tone and is easy to play. I couldn't have asked for a better guitar to learn pedal steel with.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 12:53 pm    

Great sounding and playing guitars. Fit and finish are top drawer. The tone has been accurately described as PP'ish, only better. As for playability, they are smooth and quite. The pedal action isn't as easy as some, but then some are too easy. I'd compare the action to a LeGrande. Not too easy, not to stiff...just right. Gary is great to deal with. Ellerbee...hush!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 1:58 pm    

Great guitars,I really like mine! The finish and attention to detail is excellent. It sounds excellent too. When you look at his guitars, you can tell that Gary really takes a lot of pride it what he does.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 11:19 pm    

To be honest with you , i haven't seen a Ritt on the website that don't look like the builder has a very good touch to detail and fit of body parts. All the colors and combinations of colors are very appealing. Maybe kinda difficult to pick a favorite.
I especially like the detail given to the front apron
by adding a perloid / MOP inlay around the inside of the polished moulding , which is around the mica.
I'll be glad when i can get to a steel show to test drive one. I just sold my Zum and was going to sell everything else but i've changed my tune. Harder to do than i thought. Thanks again guys for all the info and interest .
Skip