The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Well, You Wanted To Hear Me Play...
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2011 5:07 pm    

I have had a number of people who wanted to hear me play (I don't know why. I never claimed to be any good). I have posted a song I recorded call "Standing Room Only". This is an old Barbara Mandrell song. I played all the instruments. The piano, bass, drums, and some rhythm guitar were played on a Korg Triton Le88 synthesizer. The (crappy - I am not a guitar player) lead guitar playing was played on a Fender MIM Tele with EMG active pickups. Some rhythm was played on a Gretsch Acoustic Electric Guitar. Everything but the acoustic guitar was recorded direct into a Korg D3200 digital recorder. The into, fills, turn-around, and ending were played on a Carter D10, and the verses and choruses were played on a Williams D10. Of course, this was done a while ago, and I may have those guitars listed backwards.

Click on the link below if you want to hear it.

Standing Room Only

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2011 5:23 pm    

And if that didn't make you throw up, I'm sure these YouTube videos will. These are of one of the bands I play regularly with. The quality isn't real good. It was taken by one of the audience members on a small cam corder (you can even hear him trying to sing along on a part of "Neon Moon" - please excuse that) and he was right in front of my amp. There is some distortion on the sound tracks. This was not one of my better days.

This one is called "Unchain My Heart"

Unchain My Heart

This is "The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall"

The Bigger They Are

This is "A Fire I Can't Put Out"

A Fire I Can't Put Out

And lastly, "Neon Moon"

Neon Moon

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2011 6:56 pm    

You did real good Richard. I really like the version of A fire I cant put out, nice. I wish more forum members would put up some of there playing for us to listen too. Its great to hear our hero's and the A players but also good to hear forum members that are out there playing live weekend gigs or just in there Steel Caves. Good job. Thanks
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2011 7:21 pm    

I've always enjoyed your playing live, Richard. Nice to finally hear a recording. Good job.

Matthew Warman

here and now
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2011 1:23 am    

the youtube clips of your band really capture the feeling of a typical live gig at a local club, I could just about smell the beer. good band, I'm sure you guys have a lot of fun.

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2011 5:34 am    

Richard, Very nice job on both the recording and the live sosngs. Sounds like you guys have been together for awhile. I've been with my primary band for almost exactly 29 years now. Do you still have
that beautiful blue Sho-Bud Professional you bought from me? I really miss looking at and playing that one.
Billy

norm mcdaniel

waco tx
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2011 8:21 am    

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Richard it seems to me that you are your own worst critic. That was pretty good stuff. But I know how you feel cause I dont have the guts to post any of my stuff. Keep going

Norm IN Waco Tx Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2011 6:51 pm    

Thanks guys.

Billy... Unfortunately, I had to sell the 'Bud. But I sold it to a good friend of mine, so it's real close by and "still in the family".

Norm... You are right. I really don't think I am as bad as I say I am. The live gigs on YouTube were taped when I was getting over the flu and the bass player was just coming down with it. I can hear myself get a little "pitchy" at times.

The band has been together in one form or another for many many years. They held a "jam session" every Sunday for many years. One Sunday night 4 or 5 years ago, I got a call from my first ex-wife saying I should check out the band and the jam. So, the next week I went down, checked them out, and the following week took my stuff down there. I went and jammed almost every Sunday. They had a 2nd guitar player, and after about a year, he got married and left the band. Since I was always there and becoming a part of their sound, they just started paying me. What is nice about this band is that they play everything from country (not so much classic - I play with the guitar player in another band that is more classic country)to rock, to oldies, motown. Good musicians. In this whole time, we have only rehearsed one time as a complete band. Unfortunately, the jams ended late last year, and I only get to play with this band maybe once or twice a month now.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 12:51 pm    

I wish there was a band like yours in my neighbourhood.
I would come everytime I could!