The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slanting advice
Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 11:03 am    

I need some help. I'm learning to play lap steel using DeWitt Scott's book "Basic C6th Nonpedal Lap Steel Method" which is a great book with the exception of no pictures of left hand technique and little explanation. A few of the songs call for a slant with the bar on an upper string as well as the two adjacent lower strings one fret back. For example, on "Amazing Grace" there is an F7 chord with the second string (C) fretted at the ninth fret (A) while the third and fourth strings (A & G) are fretted at the eighth fret (F & Eb). How do I pull this off?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 11:38 am    

That's a tough one.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 12:41 pm    

That particular slant is a tough one, and its success, plus or minus, can depend on scale length and string spacing. However, to approximate correct intonation on slow songs like Amazing Grace, a wide vibrato is called for, so that at any given time, two out of the three notes will be in tune. At least, I think that's the way the Hawaiians did it.

------------------
members.aol.com/herbs10178/index.html

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 7:05 pm    

we just call it "fudging"...Vibrato can hide your sins and trick your ear...use sparingly,
Aloha,
Mike

Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 7:41 pm    

Gentlemen,
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm just glad somebody didn't say "Oh, you just bend the bar a little". Seriously, I wish someone would publish a definitive beginners guide to lap steel with profuse illustrations, chord charts, a play-along CD, and maybe an accompanying video or CD-ROM.

Dennis Boyd

Suisun City, CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 7:54 pm    

Don,
It sounds more like that dominant (F7) was intended for a string pull behind the bar instead of a bar slant. With the bar straight on fret 8, pick the 3 strings and pull string 2 up a half step to get the 3rd or A note.

Dennis

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 8:57 pm    

The bar slanted to the right but with the rounded end pointing toward your body - splitting the 3rd and 4th strings at the 8th fret, while hitting the 2nd string at the 9th fret! Hard to imagine a "basic" C6th book including such a thing. Maybe Scotty meant to omit one of the notes? e-mail him? If all else fails - play what sounds best to you.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 10:28 pm    

Here is a couple of alternative F7 chords for ya using some easier slants.

(F7) (F9)
E(1)_____|__3_|
C(2)__12_|__3_|
A(3)__12_|____|
G(4)_____|__2_|
E(5)__11_|____|
C(6)_____|____|

Hope that helps you some.

------------------
Ricky Davis
ICQ# 62060713
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 11:30 pm    

It sounds like Scotty IS pulling the 2nd string in a straight 8th fret position, work on that for a pedal effect or just skip the 4th string the first time and the 3rd for the 2nd time,
Mike

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 6:16 am    

Don,

The Hawaiians started it of course. But even had they not, I feel it was an enevitable necessity. We must never forget that the Hawaiian guitar evolved from the spanish guitar.

As such, it did not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the only way Hawaiian guitar players could get certain "multi-note" chords was to slant the bar.

The world's greatest "slanter" is of course Jerry Byrd. He was so good as to do, what for many of us, is impossible! His execution and intonation was flawless. Still is.

Now to your specific question, that slant is impossible with perfect intonation. The poster's suggestions of wide virbrato, etc is correct.

To give you some practice, do this until you can do it without thinking about it. You are going from a C7 chord to an F (tonic) chord. Place your bar in a backwards slant on strings 1 and 3 (assumes E as the top string)at the 12 and 13 fret respectively.

Now pick strings 1 and 3 together and go immeidiately while the strings still ring to a forward slant on frets 13 and 12.

You are doing a figure "X". It is very difficult to do. And do not move your wrists. Just your fingers!

When you master this one, I will give you a JB cap.

Go with our lord,

carl

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 9:56 am    

Excellent! Lessons on line. The next best thing to having good teachers in person, of which there's a complete void in my part of town. Keep it commin'. Thanks Carl, SW

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 2:37 pm    

This forum never ceases to amaze me.
I worked through the same book and had the same problem !
I opted for the vibrato option.

Am about to attempt a string pull.

An excellent thread.

Thankyou

Don Sutley

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 6:33 pm    

Thanks again for all the replies. This forum is just too cool!