The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner Needs Guidence
David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 10:12 am    

I'm a guitar player in love with the sound of the steel/pedal steel guitar. I want to start playing this instrument but I'm not sure which way to go: pedal or non-pedal. I like western swing (Big Sandy and his Fly-Rite Boys), swing blues (T-Bone Walker) and even surf rock (the Ventures to Link Wray). I'll ask you non-pedal folks first: will the non-pedal steel guitar fit into my musical styles?

Also, are there preferred brands and models of the non-pedal steel? Are volume pedals used? Are there special non-pedal steel bars or are they the same as the pedal steel?

Sorry for the long-winded questions but I really will appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 11:44 am    

Almost everybody uses a volume pedal, except maybe Junior Brown. You should check him out.

Since most non-pedal steels are 6 or 8 strings, and most pedal steels are 10 or 12 strings, you can use a shorter bar on a non-pedal guitar. If you play both kinds, you would probably one big bar for both.

The preferred brands of non-pedal steel (Fender, Rickenbacker, Bigsby) have become collectible and they cost a lot more than they are worth. I think you would get the best deal with a new Melobar. They make a big variety of non-pedal steels.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 6:33 pm    

Non-pedal steel will definitely fit into your musical styles.
The preferred brands for non-pedal steel depends on the style (and who you ask), but Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, and National/Supro/Valco are all good quality used instruments. There are a number of good new electric instruments being made now, with one of my favorites being the Melobar line.
Most non-pedal steel players use a bar that's slightly smaller than a pedal steel bar. I recommend the Broz-o-phonic (made by Latch Lake) or the John Pearse lap steel bar.
A volume pedal can be a useful accessory. I used my Ernie Ball volume pedal up until I bought a Fender volume/tone pedal.
Check out my web site - it might be helpful for answering other questions.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2000 11:42 pm    

David,
Sounds like you're going to be a 24.5" scale Fender D-8 guy to me, judging from your musical tastes....Bar is totally a matter of preference..I use a Pedal steel Bar for everything, (large hands), but you may prefer an 8 string bullet bar or even a stevens...there is no right or wrong its what works for you...and I feel a Volume pedal is a necessity,(altho if you are good, you can use the guitars vol control) and a steel guitar pedal has a different throw and value pot than a standard guitar vol pedal, but perhaps not in all instances...but my Sho-Bud pedal is way different than my ernie ball, Good luck, I think you will love it,
Aloha,
Mike