The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Custom Built MahoganyTele w/P-90 VZ Custom >>SOLD>&
Bud Veazey

Lawrenceville, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2010 7:10 pm    

>>>SOLD 8/4/2010 THANKS TO THE STEEL GUITAR FORUM<<<

$695 or make an offer. Included Tweed hard shell case. Shipping $30 to lower 48 states only.
I built this custom Tele in my shop in Lawrenceville, Georgia. The body is solid mahogany. It is finished in clear nitrocellulose lacquer. The unfinished body was made by Jamerson/Musikraft.
The mahogany 21-fret neck was also made by Jamerson/Musikraft. The neck is finished in clear nitrocellulose lacquer. The width of the neck at the nut is 1-5/8". The fretboard radius is 10". Frets are medium #6105. The fretboard features black top markers and side markers. The neck shape is medium “C” and the profile is .83” at the first fret and .92” at the 12th fret. The neck has a dual acting truss rod with access at the heel. Tuning machines are vintage style Kluson Tone Pros. I have cut and installed a bone nut.

The bridge pickup is from a Tradition Guitars Jerry Reid Classic series guitar. I like this pickup. It is hot, but to me it doesn’t seem as “thin” as some other Tele bridge pickups. The neck pickup is a new P-90 from GFS. Like the bridge pickup it has high output and nice tone overall. Pickups are very subjective things. If you buy this guitar and have a favorite bridge pickup or P-90 you would like to substitute, sent it/them to me and I will install at no charge.

The electronics consist of a Fender 4-way pickup selector switch, 2 full size CTS pots, an orange drop cap and a Switchcraft output jack. I have installed the so-called Merle Haggard mod on this guitar. In this 4-way mod the first three switch positions are standard Telecaster configuration: Position #1= bridge; Position #2= bridge and neck in parallel; position #3= neck (P-90). Position #4 (the “mod”) connects the bridge and neck pickups in series resulting in a louder, fuller humbucker-like tone.

The bridge is my favorite, a Joe Barden vintage style. This bridge has three compensated brass saddles and a heavy base plate. It is a breeze to intonate. Whenever possible I use the Joe Barden vintage on VZ Custom Teles.

Every guitar I build is one of a kind, with a unique look and sound. I usually turn out one of two VZ Custom guitars a month. I look for good deals on top quality new and used parts for my guitars. This guitar is as good as or better than any $1,200+ cookie-cutter factory-built guitar. All of the parts used to construct this guitar were brand new. Any guitar is only as good as its setup. I spend a lot of time setting up VZ Customs for optimal playability. I set the action as low as possible without encountering fret buzz. I set the neck for minimal relief. The nut slots are cut for optimal distance between the bottom of each fret and the first fret. I always check for high frets and level if necessary. I check fret ends for smoothness. The final step in the set up is to check the intonation of each string and adjust where necessary.
Included with this guitar is a brand new hard shell Tweed case.
I stand behind my work. If you feel the guitar doesn't live up to my description, we'll work out a return or repair. Just remember, buyer's remorse or "my wife won't let me keep it" are not legitimate reasons for returns.

Last edited by Bud Veazey on 4 Aug 2010 6:04 am; edited 3 times in total

Dave Manion

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2010 7:17 pm    

What guage strings is this guitar set up for? Roughly how heavy is it? Thanks in advance, I like your style!
Dave

Bud Veazey

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2010 7:39 pm    

The guitar is set up for D'Addario XL-110s (.010-.046). It weighs in at just under 7 pounds, relatively light for a solid mahogany body. Thanks for the interest.

Mark L. Dunn

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 4:39 am     Tele

pm sent

Wade Medlock

Avondale Estates, GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 4:53 am    

I play a VZ Custom, which I think is a 2007 model. It's my first tele and my daughter bought one for her husband. They are solid, well-built guitars with top line parts. Bud is also a picker in our monthly Goatville Jam in Clarkston. A couple of pickers there are VZ Custom owners, too. Plus Bud Veazey is as honest as the summers are hot, and I hope you'll check him out.

Bud Veazey

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 3:22 pm    

Mark, here are the Tele body pictures. Final sanding and polish are not complete. I laid a pearloid pickguard and bridge on the body to give you an idea of what the finished guitar will look like. As you can see it's not a bright red, but it may still be too red for you. I'll be on the lookout for another Nashville style body and I'll check with my favorite body builder to see whether he can make a birdseye maple Nashville Tele for me.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 4:09 pm    

Really nice work Bud....attention to detail!

Bud Veazey

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 4:51 pm    

Thanks Chris. I learn something new every time I build one of these, like masking off the pickup cavities before I start buffing. Cleaning the compound out of those suckers is not a pleasant task.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2010 5:16 pm    

I thought I recognized painters quick release tape!!

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 5:33 am    

....and here I thought that this guitar was color coded to tell us that this particular guitar was made to play the "Blues" .......That's what I get for thinking !!.....Jim

Seriously Bud,
Nice job on this Tele ....I'll bet this Tele is very resonant wth the weight being what it is ...That Mahog must really sing !!!...... Good Luck with the sale ...Jim

Bud Veazey

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 6:02 am    

"Color Code", now that's funny. Thanks James. Actually, I just sold the guitar this morning thanks to this forum. You'll be seeing more VZ Customs here in the future.

Dave Manion

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2010 10:02 am    

Keep it up! A wonderful balance of features and looks and price.