The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  scheerhorn bar
gerry szostak

windsor,ca,
Post  Posted 3 Nov 1999 8:12 pm    

i saw a scheerhorn bar made from stainless steel in an eldery catalouge. would appreciate any info on tone,bar wear and string wear. at $75 a pop i need a second opinion

------------------

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 5 Nov 1999 9:03 pm    

The Scheerhorn is an extremely well designed and beautifully manufactured bar. It fits the hand more comfortably than any other Stevens-style steel I've tried, and with its wider bottom radius also gives much better control (let the bar go and it will simply rock on the strings; any other bar falls over). The sound is excellent, and the plating very good, although not nearly as durable as a BJS. The extremely sharp leading edge gives very clean pull-offs. A great bar all around, but as with all Scheerhorn items, very pricey.

[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 11-05-99]

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 8 Nov 1999 3:06 am    

I bought a scheerhorn bar a few weeks ago. It is a plated one rather than just plain stainless.
The only worry I have is that since my strings are lower then most lap steels ( I use a high strung National Polychrome) I may hit the fretboard when tilting the bar - a bit of a sharp edge too.
However, that aside - it is the third bar I have tried and it seems to give a better tone as well as being easy to get a gently vibrato due to the large radius.

I couldn't get one in the UK and had to deal with Paul Beard at Resophonic Outfitters.
Good to deal with !!

Get's my recommendation anyway

Bill
"aspires to play beautiful instruments in a mediocre way)

David T

Post  Posted 12 Nov 1999 9:53 pm    

Î bought my Sheerhorn bar for about $40 US from Elderly's this summer. I love it. A very smooth playing bar and I agree with Bill that you seem to have a bit more control. They are sharp and I must say, having fumbled it onto the top of my guitar once that it can nick pretty good. Seems to fit my hand better. Not so straight up and down. Perfect weight for me. - Dave Tanner, MN

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Nov 1999 6:07 pm    

i've started using a shubb-pearse SP2...nice and fat with good design----one rounded end, one squared.....wide bottom. i think it's the one dobroist pete grant designed. anyway, i dig it.....under $30