The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Supro/National/Oahu 8 string?
John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 13 Oct 1999 9:55 pm    

Does anyone know if Valco (they made steels for National, Supro, Oahu, etc.) made an 8-string steel with the string-through pickups? These are the pickups with the magnets on the sides of the coil. I've had several six-strings and currently play a double-six Oahu Jolana (Iolana?) that has unbeatable tone - it kills my '50s Fender Deluxe 8-string. I would really love to find one but I've never seen one. I understand that Ry Cooder uses these pickups in at least one of his guitars. Anybody know if these exist? Thanks, all.

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 1999 10:49 am    

Yes they did. I saw a '60 or so Supro S8 on Ebay. It was the same model as my S6 - exactly. The S8 was near mint but sans legs. It sold for an astounding $625!!! I'v also seen a D8 version of this same steel.

All these steels have the string thru "Ry Cooder" style PU. Personally, I don't care for some aspects of it. The magnet near the 1st string adversely affects the string balance - the 1st string is noticably louder than the 2nd. Also, I wish the steel cut thru a bit more.

I'm about to take delivery on one of the new Mellobar "Stringmaster" type steels with interchangeable necks.

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 14 Oct 1999 2:22 pm    

Mike, thanks for the info. Now at least I know they exist. All I have to do is find one. If anyone sees one or knows of one, e-mail me at .

Road Runner, I don't know where you could get a pickup, but I was considering contacting Seymour Duncan or Lindy Fralin about constructing one until I heard from Mike that they made an 8-srting. You might look for an old beater to rob one out of. I see 6-strings for $100-300 all the time up here in Ohio. Good luck.

John

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 1999 2:39 pm    

Quick FYI, I figure to be selling my Supro S6 shortly. The PU cover and bracket are MIA (bracket was removed by drilling thru spot welds - argh!). Other than that, it's in pretty darned good shape. Call it "good" condition with OHSC and orig legs (orig tuners are still in great shape as well). If you want "that" sound, this one's got it.

I want to net $300 for it. That's slightly less than I paid for it 5 years ago. I'll post it here before I go to Ebay. Interested parties can also e-mail me direct.

Brett Habben

Spicewood TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 1999 5:42 pm    

Brad,
Do you know what pickup is under the cover on this Supro from your page?
http://www.well.com/user/wellvis/steels/Supro/SuproConsoleEight.JPG
I have a 47 National Special like this below and can vouch that it does not.
http://www.well.com/user/wellvis/steels/National/NationalSpecial.JPG
Holler if you've got the real McCoy because I've never seen one.
Brett

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 14 Oct 1999 7:01 pm    

Brett, I sold a Supro just like the one in the photo earlier this year. It did not have the string-through pickup. It was an 8-string but had a "conventional" pickup. I've seen several single and double neck versions of these.

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 1999 6:13 am    

Brett, that Supro S8 on Brad's site is the same model as my S6. It has the string thru PU.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 17 Oct 1999 5:07 am    

I have an 8-string Supro exactly like the one on Brad`s page and it doesn`t have strings through pick ups;they go through the body behind the bridge.Anyway it`s ABSOLUTELY perfect for the Lindley overdrive stuff:never met an amp it didn`t conquer.
Lindley has one and he told me not sell it ever and to buy a D-8 version if I find one.

Ollie

[This message was edited by Olli Haavisto on 10-17-99]

[This message was edited by Olli Haavisto on 10-17-99]

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 17 Oct 1999 11:35 am    

The strings don`t go through the body,the ballends go into small slots(?)behind the bridge.
Olli

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 19 Oct 1999 8:57 pm    

Olli, that's just like the one I sold. It was nice but I prefer the sound of the string-through pickups. Thanks, everyone for the help and interest.

Bob, I think we can close this thread. Thanks.

John Borchard