The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two Fender Single Neck Laps ?
Peggy Green

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 1999 3:32 am    

I played two Fender 6-String Lap steels today. One, had the recognizable Fender logo we are all familiar with. The frets were numbered. The pickup had a black cover. The knobs were black. The tuning heads were under the chrome slotted plate, that is familiar from Fender pedal steel guitars. Some sort of student model I suppose.

The second did not have the Fender Logo that is common to this day. In a stamped metal plate, it had a electric bolt going through a sphere. Below that on the stamped plate it said saying Fender, Fullerton, California, etc. The body shape was more reminiscent of a frypan/ violin, rather than the rectangular shape of the first guitar. The tuning heads said Deluxe on them, the tuning heads came out the sides, instead of the top. I suppose this guitar predates the Fender logo. Does anyone know the vintage. And can you estimate worth? Please. Condition: Well used, ratty looking and boss sounding. I had chalky dust on my fingers after tuning it.

------------------
www.mp3.com/PeggyGreen
cdbaby.com/green
www.ontonet.com/mpriv/music/PeggyGreen.htm

Peggy Green

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 1999 3:41 am    

From Brad Bechtel's page I can say the second guitar was a Fender Champion. Dates? Value?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 1999 7:34 am    

From your descriptions, I'd say the first one was a Fender Champ and the second guitar a Fender Champion. According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, the Champion was made from 1949 to 1955, and the Champ was made from 1955 to 1981. Values could range between $100 and $400 depending on condition (more if you buy through eBay .

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 10-15-99]