The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI players,..come on in...Again (New vid, pg. 4- 4/25/10)
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 5:55 pm    

Look under "Redgold Beauty's History" message and you'll see my guitar.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 6:30 pm    

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 7:25 pm    

I did see your thread a few days ago Brett. She's a purty little sweetie, and know for sure that she's in good, caring hands with you as an owner/player.
I really like my own Ultra too. It stays in tune very well, and is as smooth as a baby's butt to play.
I don't have a name for her yet though.
Maybe you can help me out with that little detail later on.

I hope to get to meet you sometime soon.
Thanks for dropping in again.

Your pal, Dale

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 7:49 pm    

Last edited by Dale Hansen on 23 Apr 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 12:08 pm    

Hi everyone,
I would just like to thank Dale for sending me those washers across the pond to the UK.They certainly make a real difference to the playing feel -changes happen more positively and more precisly-and the lower b pull rod doesnt clatter anymore on the return from c#.Such a simple mod.-easily done and the results are a noticable improvment.
Regards
Dave Hepworth

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 8:52 pm    

Glad to do it Dave, and thank you for dropping in.

I'm gratified to hear of your good results.

The other items you wanted will be shipped off to you tomorrow.

(Just out of curiousity; Are you English folks still mad at us about that little tea incident a couple hundred years ago?)
DH

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 9:17 am    

Hi again folks,
As far as the Boston Tea Party is concerned-you actually did me a big favour-I cannot tolerate caffeine anymore-and so by chucking all that tea into the water you inadvertantly took all of the caffeine out of the leaves for me!!!!I am eternally grateful to you all as I love a good strong cup of assam -anyone for tea?!!
Regards
Dave

Chuck Snider

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 5:27 am    

Dale, I read thru most of the entries a few days ago, so forgive me if you answered these questions already. Your "engineering changes" seem to be very positive and beneficial for the GFI PSG, and it seems everyone that has installed your changes with the washers, was very happy with the results. My questions are:

1. Are these changes appliciable to new GFI models, or primarily older ones that have some wear on them?
    2. Are these improvments aimed at any particular models made by GFI?
    3. Are the folks at GFI aware of your improvements?
    4. If so, will they be incorporating them into the newer models?
    5. If not, would you be able to bring these to their attention, and see if they would consider incorporating the improvements?

GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 5:26 pm    

Bucky Baxter - Nashville 7/30/08:

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 8:50 pm     Catchin' up a bit. ( Dave, Chuck, and Robert)

Dave,

Fortunately for me, I can tolerate caffeine. Via Coca cola, and Coffee. It's just tea that I can't stand. As a youth, while working on a horse ranch, the lady of the house served iced tea at every meal.. morning, noon, and night. I haven't touched the stuff since. If you'd like to ask the Queen to send a couple more boat loads over, I'll come out to meet them at the docks, and personally dump both loads into the drink. If possible, let's do it in Myrtle Beach, S.C., instead of Boston this time around. It's a little bit closer, and my wife likes to go there.

I'm gonna post a tab (the VL thing) up for you a little later. I haven't forgotten it.

Chuck,
You don't need forgiveness for asking me anything. Those are good questions, and I'm just glad that you even posted.
Unfortunately, I might've inadvertently spooked alot of other fellas from posting in my threads, because I tend to poke a little too much fun at em' sometimes.

As to your questions; (#1) I believe this applies to any GFI with a linkage system like the one shown below.

This is either a student, or economy model, which features the same linkage as my own Ultra.

I put the nylon washers on my own (new) guitar within a week or so of bringing it home. There is a fella up in Minnesota, who bought a used GFI earlier this year (05' model). He said that it was practically worn out underneath, and reported later to me that the "mod" had restored it's playability for him. He said that it plays like a new guitar now.
(#2) Nope. Any model with a similar linkage. (#3) I doubt it. I never intended to make a real big deal out of it. I was merely interested in sharing it with other GFI'ers who might benefit from doing likewise. I first mentioned it in a running thread about a year ago. A couple of guys tried it, and seemed to have liked the results. I did drop them (GFI) an email once, to say that I've enjoyed playing my Ultra very much, but I didn't mention any modifications.(#4) I don't think so; I don't have any influence, or ongoing contact with them. I'd be surprised if they've even heard about it. As owners though, we can do what ever we want to do to em'.
(#5) I personally feel that it would be grandiose, or presumptuous on my part to make any recommendations to them. If, by chance they do get wind of it, deem it useful, and incorporate it in later guitars,.. good for them,.. and future GFI owners.
(in the meantime, I do still have several "kits" available for whoever needs em'.)

Robert,

Thanks for posting that photo of Bucky.

So he's playing a GFI these days? Is he still with Bob Dylan?
I met him one time many years ago, when I was first starting to play. He was playing with Steve Wariner. He wouldn't know me from a N.Y. shoeshine boy nowadays, but I did do some work on his Emmons pp, just a few years ago.

Dennis Cook

Maryland (Germantown), USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2008 12:08 am    

Well, it's a long time since the last post, but I'll take a chance and offer my kudos anyway. I'm just starting out at this steel guitar thing, got a student GFI from Ernie Pollock up in Western Maryland, then started reading the forum. I ran across this tip with the washers a while back and made a mental note of it.

Problem is, my attempt at playing is the weak link in the chain, so links rattling didn't come to the surface until this week when I took my guitar with me on a trip to Hawaii where we are staying with my daughter's family. I have to practice without an amp. Now, the squeaks and rattles come to the top.

Anyway, I did the washers and lubed 'er up with TriFlow, and it's great! So, thanks.

Chuck Snider

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 7:28 am    

I had contacted Dale back in August about the nylon washers. He sent me a set and suggested I wait until I had spent some time on my new GFI U-12 before I install his washers. That way, I could hopefully notice any change due to the added washers. So, after playing my GFI U12 for around 3 months, or so, last weekend I installed them.

One thing to mention, a U-12 needs 32 of them if I recall, luckily Dale had sent me some extras, as the usual set contains 22. Dale, you might want to consider two or three different packs, one for single neck (3x4 and/or 3x5), one for U-12 (7x5), and one for double neck (8x4 and/or 8x5), with enough for each respective setup. I suppose the other alternative would be for the person requesting them from you telling you what they have and you merely sending enough washer/clips to cover it.

I did not have to sand/file any of them, they all slipped in easily without any need to alter them. And though there was little, if any wear on the linkage at this early life of my guitar, there was a fair amount of "slop" side-to-side on the bellcranks where the washers install. Installing the washers/clips eliminated nearly all of the "slop", yet did not introduce any binds anywhere, as far as I could tell.

When I tried it out, the difference was subtle so I was glad I waited a while to install them. What I noticed was it was a bit quieter when I worked the pedals and knee levers. It also seemed to be a bit more responsive to movement of the pedal or lever, and a little smoother overall.

Overall, I'm glad I got them and installed them, and I would recommend these to any GFI user. I have to wonder if they might work on ther brands with similar undercarriage linkage. Maybe Dale could comment on whether that is possible. I probably could have lived without them, however the overall operation/action/responsiveness is slightly better. And with less noticable slop in the linkage, it should help minimize wear due to extra side-to-side movement and possible "wallowing" that might occur. On my relatively new guitar the change was subtle, however, I would have to think that if you have a GFI which has a little age or has been used heavily, this should help "tighten" things up in a big way, and probably make a very noticeable change.

Dale, you're a great guy, good musician, and super inverntor! Keep up the great work!!!

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 11:29 pm    

It seems that there is a spark of life stirring in this tired old thread once again. Good.

Thanks Dennis, and Chuck.
I hope the "mods" add some value to the enjoyment of your overall playing experience.

I still have a few kits left for any other GFI'ers who'd like to try em'.

DH

Last edited by Dale Hansen on 23 Apr 2009 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 12:26 am    

I think GFI is an awesome steel guitar brand. They make some really awesome guitars that play very well, stay in tune well, and everything. Another thing I love about GFI is that they build steels for handicapped players. I'm so amazed at the tone my GFI-aka "Redgold Beauty gets through my Peavey Nashville 112. I can see why a lot of us steel guitarists have decided to play GFI steel guitars, they're awesome!

Brett

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 7:25 pm    

Howdy GFI'ers,
As of this evening I have 3 new You-tube videos up.
The flick (below), is the one that's most pertinent to this particular thread.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Goodnooz4U#p/u/0/TriNEV7ZOCg

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2010 3:36 am    

great video, dale! thanks for sharing your ideas!

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2010 6:16 pm     Washers

Dale I Got The Washers from you Some time Ago They Are Doing Great.On My GFI Ultra. THANKS. SONNY.

Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 1:05 pm    

I wonder if this washer-mod would work on my '77 MSA? It has a similar bell-crank setup and is a touch noisy underneath.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2010 4:34 pm    

Howdy fellas,
Sorry for the delay in my reply. I was out of town (Stone Mountain, Ga.) for a CC convention from early Wednesday, until about an hour ago. (Fri, 4/30)

Norbert - Thanks, glad you liked it.

Sonny - I'm pleased to hear that your guitar, (and you) are doing well. Thanks

Ian - I really don't know. Could you send me a couple of good quality, close-up flicks of her undersides?
Nothing kinky here, but it would give me a better idea of what we're dealing with. The good news is: The worst case scenario here, is that it would cost you very little to try it out.
That said, I'd still like to see a rod connector/bell crank flick, and go from there.

DH

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 9:07 am    

I wonder if the correct washers are available using this material?
Nylon MDS (self lubricating)

http://plasticwashers.newprocess.com/product/custom-washers/nylon-washers

Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 10:21 am     Works Like a Charm

Just wanted to revive this thread to thank Dale! I went to Lowes this morning, found the exact washers, came home clipped, and popped them in my Ultra. Works like a charm, takes no skill/time, and really cuts down on any wobbly ferrules!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 1:19 pm    

I recently acquired a 2000 year model Ultra D-10. Its been "used". I installed Lawrence 710 pickups and a new neck switch "on-on-on" type so both necks can be on at same time if wanted like most other guitars.

I found the pedal bar to leg clamps would not stay tight. Adding a lock washer (1/4") fixed that.

I'm going to try the washer trick and see if it helps.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 4:01 am    

TTT. Some really great info from years ago that many people might be able to use.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 9:12 am    

I just finished installing these on the GFI EXPO S-10 I bought last week. It took 2 trips to Lowe’s to get enough nylon washers to do the job. Some have 1/4” holes, and some 9/32 - both work. I found just two bell cranks too tight to use or need a washer. There was one pull on the RKR I couldn’t easily get too, and it really didn’t need it. The pulls with longer rods seem to rattle the most, but even then, not that bad. I found this quite easy to do, and I like the results a lot. Home Depot didn’t carry these. 4 in a pack for $1.00 at Lowe's.

This works exactly as advertised. Everything is smooth and quiet. The only mechanical noise I'm hearing now is the pedal rods on the brackets. Not sure how to deal with that, but it doesn't bother me.