The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  import squareneck resonator: nut issue
Derek Barlas

Kanata, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 11:28 am    

Looking from some help/advice on a nut issue I'm having on my Chinese import tricone. this is a Canuk brand, which I believe is very similar to the Republic brand. Anyway, the nut is now 'leaning' back towards the body of the guitar. I'm assuming it will eventually 'release' altogether at some point. I imagine the nut on this style must be glued in place more strongly than a regular guitar nut, as there seems to be much more 'down and back' pressure from the strings? I'm just wondering if this is something which can be fixed by a fairly non-skilled person as myself, or is it luthier only skill level?

There are some guitar luthiers in my area (Ottawa, Ontario) but I don't know of anyone who has experience with squareneck resonators.

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 11:45 am    

If it was mine I'd take it off, sand and clean the surfaces and re-glue it. Should be an easy fix.

Ron Yarboro

USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 1:23 pm    

Any decent luthier should be able to fix it. He doesn't have to be familiar with reso's, . I'm no expert but i think that If the peghead face had a veener, It would help keep the nut upright.

Post at one of the luthier forums like mimf or olf for some expert advice if you would like to try to fix It yourself, or do as Steiner suggested. Titebond original wood glue should do It.

http://www.mimf.com/

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/

R.Y.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 6:07 pm    

Ron is right, there is no slot there to seat the nut in. just my opinion. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 6:34 pm    

Notice the angle on the bottom of the nut does not match the angle of the headstock. They need to match, you should also find better tone once fixed.

In other words the bottom of the nut is square and the face of the headstock is not.

Good luck!

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 7:33 pm    

Quote:
Notice the angle on the bottom of the nut does not match the angle of the headstock.

Good eye Jim, looks like they either forgot to plan for a flat ledge before angeling the headstock back, or quite possibly just set the fretboard too far back.
You could try sanding the bottom of the nut down to match the angle and use a little regular old wood glue. A piece of glass or a granite counter top makes a good flat surface to sand on.

Dave Thier

Fairhope, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 9:37 am    

All good advice so far and if it's not a bone nut, now would be a good time to switch.

Dave