The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB sounds like Carnival Music
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2009 5:56 pm    

I DID have one at the time I did that album...

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2009 9:01 am    

Then you should get another. You're quite proficient at it. I've always maintained that anyone who is proficient on guitar can become proficient on any other plucked string instrument. After all, it's just a matter of getting used to a different tuning, and steel guitarists have to do that all the time.

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2009 10:52 am    

Great tracks Basilh. Great sound, vocals and mixing. Care to share any details as far as equipment, mixing technique, outboard gear etc.

This sounds like they were done in a studio with some top notch equipment. I've done enough recording to know that this is good work. Very impressive.

Rob

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2009 11:48 am    

Thank you kindly Robert.

Done in my sitting room with an Allen and Heath 24 into 8+8 board, a 2" 24 track running @ 30ips. (I forget the name) I've just remembered her name, Studio Magnetics AR2400
A Mac computer running BIAB and E-Magic Logic Notator/Creator, Unitor sync system. Roland SC-155 (Programmer's model,) Oberheim Matrix 1000, Akai S-1000, Only ONE Mike, my pet for all audio work like guitars and vocals, Beyer MC-740...through a Symetrix 528 Voice Processor Preamp and an Orban 111b Reverb and Orban 516-EC De-Esser

Casio PG-380 guitar, Emmons D-10 (1970) Takamine EN-10 and another model I forget. The reverb was a "Great British Spring" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGAvkGd0Qak

All the monitoring was done on a Bose AMA-5 system specially calibrated by the Bose (Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan)technicians in the anechoic chamber. (I knew them and they did it gratis)
Monitor amp was a Crown DC300a

Careful listening and diligent playing and a smidgeon of inventiveness..PLUS copious quantities of various beverages.

Oh yes, the vocals and acoustic instruments were recorded from another room, a converted bedroom with foam backed carpet taped up on the walls.

The 2" multitrack was a B**ch to keep running and it was made by a UK company, I may remember the name but can't at the moment (Probably because I WANTED to forget it) The takeup spool tension servo system kept blowing transistors..

This would be a view of some of the room a little later in the 90's..about 1994

Soundproofing wasn't really necessary because of the location.

The Bass was the Matrix 1000
the drums were the Korg D5 live via midi+sync and also run to tape.
Strings were Akai S1000 + Roland Sc155
Accordian was Fintan Stanley's sampled, and mixed with brendan Shine's 5 row also sampled.
again live on mixdown and mixed in with the taped parts.

1+2 for reverb tape delay.
3 Kik,
4 snare
5+6 stereo kit
7+8 Accoustic guitars.
9 Main Vocal
10 Vox D/T
11+12 Vocal Backing composite.
13+14 Electric guitar
15+16 Steel
17+22 Various sampler instruments doubled
23 empty
SMPTE on track 24

Mixdown to a Revox A77
Audio Magnetics mastering 1/4" tape, BIB Splicer,
and Ampex 2" Grand master tape. (It took 5 reels)

I could give you the make and gauges of the strings used on the various instruments but prefer to keep the description brief
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I think after listening to the vocals and up front instruments that the analogue/digital debate really isn't over yet.

Maybe we all miss the subliminal effect of the almost imperceptible tape hiss being modulated by the lower frequencies.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 2:43 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Basil, you're on a Mac, right? If so, you using any extra sound stuff outside of the Mac's sound processing? Which Mac?

Quote:
I think somebody could make some money making a DVD tutorial about how to use BIAB properly, I keep trying and getting frustrated. Never seem to have time to fiddle long enough, but also I gotta say the interface is still not very intuitive, and cluttered as all get-out.

Hi John, when you buy or upgrade biab it comes with some videos to explain in pretty deep detail all features that are new for that version. Sometimes they have videos you can watch or even download from their site but everytime I buy and upgrade there is always a few videos in the biab folder. Just go to your biab folder and look through it until you see a little biab icon that looks like a film with notches on both sides. They are trying to make it look like an old reel type of video player which has notches on both sides to pull the video tape thru the heads without slipping.

I also want to agree with you on the interface being very cluttered and not laid out very well and I can see why folks have a hard time learning the program.

If you will tell me if you are on a Mac or PC and what version you have I might be able to send you some links to a bunch of videos for your version if it's not to old Smile

One more note John, these videos are any where from 10 minutes to a complete cd full of video. So I won't be able to email any due to their large size but I can send you links but remember to go through your biab folder it's the first folder on your C drive for PC's it's called "bb" if all else fails do a search for "bb"

Bob

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 3:53 am    

Baz. Great sound and very nice vox.

I thought at first you did it all in BAIB...then I saw your set up...wow!

What from the BAIB actually ended up on the tracks?

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 5:55 am    

Hi Bill, well the Rhythm Piano, Bass, and pads. Of course edited a little here and there and the drum parts were from patterns I wrote into the BIAB editor.
A good foundation to use to build upon, get ideas and then either replace partially or even completely with analogue instruments.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2010 4:02 pm    

haha... Tony, mine sounds the same way brother, like the cheapest 80's casio you could find set to autoplay. Its because (as others have said and you no dobubt have grasped by now)the sound card on my computer is very old and lame.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2010 7:24 pm    

Ben Jones wrote:
haha... Tony, mine sounds the same way brother, like the cheapest 80's casio you could find set to autoplay. Its because (as others have said and you no dobubt have grasped by now)the sound card on my computer is very old and lame.

Guys, don't be too quick to blame the sound card. I can make BIAB sound really good on a cheap laptop or $250 netbook computer, and they have junk soundcards. It's all in the setup.

One of my buddies just put BIAB on his netbook too and it sounds great. He's making good music with it.

Phillip Dokes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2010 4:01 pm    

Wow Basilh, what i wouldn't give to have a CD of those demos to play along with. I've had BIAB for over a year and all it leads me towards is more frustration!!

Seriously, somebody should put out a play along CD that sounds as good as that. I think a lot of players (at least beginners like myself) would appreciate that infinitely. Great work!

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2010 4:17 pm     which version of BIAB ?

basilh wrote:
Hi John, I'm using two macs, a G5 and a mini :-

Nothing external in THIS instance.

Hey Basilh .... very nice !

Which version of BIAB are you using?

Band-in-a-Box 12 for (PowerPC Macs) or
Band-in-a-Box 2009.5 for (Mac-Intel only)
???

Best regards,
Kerry

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2010 6:24 pm    

Both versions, with the UltraPlusPAK Hard Drive "Audiophile" Edition on the Intel Mac Mini.
The 12 version is on the Powermac and midi based, I use it integrated with Logic Pro..

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 3:48 pm     Logic Pro and BIAB

Thank-you

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2010 3:17 pm    

Tony,thanks for starting this topic.I have for the most part been of the same opinion as you regarding my own rinky dink efforts to make a decent sounding track using BIAG.

Listening to Basilh's sound tracks,and especially the ones with the vocalists on it just blows me away.As a matter of fact this post is the most inspiring and enjoyable topic and posts I have ever seen on the Forum.

Just recently I purchased the latest version of BIAB including Real Band and Real Drums..In my wildest dreams I cannot visualize having the computer skills or probably even the music skills to accomlpish the sound that Basilh has shown us.

If not I know it is not a BIAB problem,it's mine.

Thanks to both you guys.

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2010 5:58 pm    

Ok, here we go ... more info for your reading pleasure.

'Sound Card':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card

A 'Tone Generator module' also known as a Sound Canvas such as the Edirol or Roland Sound Canvas product line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas
For PC only > http://www.pgmusic.com/rolandvs.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/sd20.htm
http://www.pgmusic.com/ketronsd2.htm

You may be able to find a "used" sound canvas module with a built in midi keyboard ...
Model / Year:
Roland SK-88Pr .... 1999 and the SC-880 with 37 key MIDI keyboard
Roland SK-500 ..... 2000 and the SC-8820 with 49 Key MIDI keyboard

Mac options: If you already have an interface & can find a copy of 'Native Instruments' Bandstand for $100, even though now discontinued, it would be compatible with Mac OS X, but not upgradable.
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/bandstand/
It is still midi instruments but sounds fairly good.
Looks like "VI.ONE" may have replaced Bandstand:
http://www.vir2.com/4DCGI/vir2/products/vione/index.html?1198

For the G5 or Intel-Mac computers you should check this out: http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one.php?show=one

and use it with a Sampler such as:
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-4/

"Learning all the time"

Last edited by Kerry Johnson on 11 Mar 2010 3:17 pm; edited 5 times in total

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2010 8:35 pm     Kontakt

Here's a free version that is not just a demo:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-player/?page=777

Mac Requirements Hardware: Intel® Core™ Duo 1.66 GHz or higher with at least 1 GB of RAM, operating system: Mac OS® X 10.5

PC Requirements Hardware: Pentium® or Athlon XP class running at 1.4 GHz or higher with at least 1 GB of RAM, operating system: Windows® XP (SP2) or Windows Vista® (32/64 Bit)
`

Last edited by Kerry Johnson on 11 Mar 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2010 8:24 am    

John McClung wrote:
Quote:
I think somebody could make some money making a DVD tutorial about how to use BIAB properly.

Yes,I agree,good idea !

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2010 10:59 am    

Do commercially-produced recordings ever have rhythm tracks ? Does anyone use Band-in-a-Box to produce commercial recordings for sale to the public, and, if so, does they contravene any copyrights ?

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2010 9:43 pm    

Quote:
John McClung wrote:
Quote:
I think somebody could make some
money making a DVD tutorial about
how to use BIAB properly.

Yes,I agree,good idea !

There are already dozens
of videos right -> here