The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin's Uptempo Chord Lesson
Zach Keele

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 6:13 pm    

Has anyone bought this lesson from Mr. Franklin? I ordered a his E9 speed picking courses and the Improv over minor chords, but I wanted to see if you guys could tell me what the uptempo chord playing lesson covers.

Also, is there any good instructional material for backing slow songs?

Thanks guys.

Jeff Colson

Rockford Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 5:56 am    

Hi Zach,
I have The uptempo lesson as well as the speed picking series. What they teach you is some great licks to cover a chord progression in G, but the best part is once you get it you find out you are learning how to use the whole fretboard instead of just the "Stock" positions to play through a chord progression in G. The same is true with the minor chord lesson he gets into how to bring more into playing through minor chords than just the "Stock" positions.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Colson on 15 Mar 2010 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 6:59 am    

I'm equally concerned with accuracies in bar placements whenever there is a considerable amount of glissing over 12-15 frets.

Jeff Colson

Rockford Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 8:01 am    

Hi Bill,
With us playing an instrument without frets Bar placement is a problem and always will be a problem. A great deal of my practice time is spent moving through many fret positions as in these lessons to try to get the placements right. It's tough, but the benefits of expanding your freedom on the neck is well worth it.

Jeff

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 9:25 am    

Hi Jeff,

It's nice to read about enthusiasm in exploring ideas laid down by everyone's favorite, Paul Franklin. I remember listening to Paul's teaching tapes 20 years before the turn of this new century. What more can I say?

Zach Keele

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 9:38 am    

Thanks guys. I wish I could get my hands on a set of those old talk tapes. I guess I'll have my plate full for a while working on what I have already ordered. These lessons hardly ever get sold used. Everyone keeps them, so I know they'll be great.

Jeff,
How much did the speed pickin series speed you up, and did it show a lot of different note patterns. Is that a Show-pro in your pic?

Bill,
Mr. Franklin gave us a good lesson on practicing bar placement a couple of months ago. Search for "bar exercise".

Jeff Colson

Rockford Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 11:34 am    

Hey Zach,
To answer your question on the speed up I can say that the lesson has several practice tracks that go through the chord changes each track goes a little faster until it's up to speed. When you listen to Paul play it up to speed you swear you will never be able to get there. I did eventually play along with the up to speed track quite well. It's most important to practice it slow and CLEAN the capitalization of clean was on purpose. The speed will come, but is usless without being clean. Today I may use bits and pieces of these licks, but the important thing for me was to work on patterns that get outside of the normal positions. Then you don't find yourself trapped in a corner. Yes that is a Show-Pro and I love the guitar.

Bill, I had some of those tapes from decades ago as well, and it was great teaching. Last fall I went to Nashville and sat across from another great steeeler Mike Sweeney my purpose for this visit was to get more stuff that the great steel players did that I didn't Mike delivered great stuff for me to work on, and I've pushed as much of it as I can into my playing. At the same time I went to the Station Inn that Monday night and sat 10 feet from Paul in amazement. I had a conversation with him about practice and he gave me a great tool as well. He told me to practice complicated (or uncomplicated as well) passages with my eyes closed since they would decieve you. This was great knowlege to have and works !

Jeff

Zach Keele

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 11:50 am    

More Patterns is what I'm looking for. Thanks Jeff. The Show Pro looks great.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 12:31 pm    

Jeff,

How are things in Rockford, Illinois? I haven't seen a large number of steel players from your state here on this forum. Speed pickers are a little more rare than those who are located somewhere near midpoint in their efforts to move up. Numbers DECEIVE players in real life, hardly if ever, do they give an accurate account of the strong pickers who may be located in the next block down the road. Shows that feature a variety of players in a selected area, usually are filled with surprises.

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2010 6:27 am    

I have the uptempo chord playing CD, and it, like just about every bar of Paul's instructional stuff is awesome. That guy comes up with more cool ideas on one CD than most of us will in two lifetimes. I can't recall if you said you have the minor chord one or not, but that one is also essential, the way he teaches you to string chords together will change the way you think about the steel and music in general. Essential!!

Also, his tone, even on the instructional stuff is so killer, very, very inspiring to hear Paul play alone.

Thanks Paul!

Gerald

Zach Keele

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2010 7:53 am    

Gerald,
I have minor chord and speed picking 1 and 2 ordered. I didn't want to order uptempo chord playing till I knew what was on it.

Has the Minor CD helped you guys with rock songs, or is it geared toward helping you play through a minor chord in a major progression.