The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with "Setting Bar One"
Tim Herbert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2010 2:17 pm    

Hi guys, I'm a fairly new BIAB user (Version 2009), and I primarily want to use it to import MP3 and WAV files and have it analyze the chords, so I can practice along with the song. I can import a song and run it thru the Chord Analyzer with no problem, but I can't figure out the "Set Bar One" - I consistently get it wrong, and then can't find a way to back my attempt out and try again, without having to do the analysis all over again. Suggestions please? Thanks! Tim

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2010 10:23 am    

I've got an old trial version of BIAB and am thinking of upgrading to the new version just for that chord analysis feature. How well/accurately does it work?

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2010 4:22 pm    

Hi Guys........

I have used the ACW a few times with pretty fair success. I usually set bar one at the first down beat. Not at the first 2 or 3 pick up notes in the intro. You will have to make minor adjustments for the first few bars but the more adjustments you make, the rest of the bars usually line up quite nicely. It's not perfect, but it will get you real close, and then you can make the few chord changes that may be needed on a case by case basis.

Good luck.

BTW, the audio wizard section of the help file in BIAB is pretty detailed in the operation of the ACW. Just do a few practice songs until you get the hang of it.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Tim Herbert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2010 4:44 pm    

Thanks Robert. After considerable fumbling around and consulting the manual, I've got the Set Bar One process figured out. It's not difficult (once I figured it out!), it just takes some playing around to get familiar with it.

James - the Chord Wizard does a reasonable job of figuring out the chords, and I'm using it to send songs to BIAB so I can practice to them, and also to generate lead sheets. You will find that there's a certain amount of editing required, as some chords can get a little "scrambled in translation", but it's not hard to correct. The BIAB program itself is so wide-ranging that it's easy to be overwhelmed - I learned the hard way that you just have to work your way through it step by step, and the manual and help files are your best friends. I did call the vendor twice for some advice. The good news is that they are not hard to reach; the bad news is that one of the two guys I talked to seemed unsure of what he was talking about. The other guy was excellent. Hope this helps!