The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big Balls in Cowtown a la Leon Grizzard & AATW
Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2010 5:49 pm    

It's been a nice holiday season for me, I got to stay home and play and learn lots of new stuff this week. I was really inspired by Mr. Leon Grizzard's Western Swing rhythm guitar lesson link posted in the "Archtop Setup" thread in the Music section of the PSGF. (wheh that's a mouthful). Anyway, I am also very grateful for all of the hospitality and generosity I've received from forum members, so I felt it was my turn to give back a bit.

I've tried to use the descending and ascending bass lines that Mr. Grizzard so nicely lays out on his videos. I then programmed them into BIAB. Here are the chord sheets (I believe chord sheets are not copyrighted, but if there is any problem forum moderator, please don't hesitate to delete them). This is pretty close to the chord arrangement by Asleep at the Wheel on their Bob Wills Tribute album and as laid out in the nice lead line lessons in Fred Sokolow's book "Western Swing Guitar."

If you want the BIAB files, send me an email (through the forum please!).

If anyone has any suggestions on different voicings and such, don't hesitate to let me know. I've got Ida Red chords programmed in BIAB too and will throw that in as a bonus (trivial, but fun to play over)!

Happy New Year all!

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2010 4:55 am    

Scott,

To the best of my knowledge, you are correct in saying that chord progressions are not copyright protected. I'll leave this up, at least until someone proves us wrong.