The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Outlook Express
John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2009 5:03 pm    

Why would Outlook Express send out ten of the same message to one person --all at one time , when you forward something to another .? I don't intend to do that !! Is there a setting that is messed up or what ? I use Windows home XP OS.

Would appreciate your help and suggestions as to why this is happening and how to stop it !

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 3:17 am    

Are you sure it was you or the person that received it. I've seen multiple messages but usually it's the receiving end that is the problem.

If it is was a one time occurence I wouldn't worry about it.

A scenario that can affect either sending or receiving: When something is sent, if there is no acknowledgement from the other end, it is assumed it did not get received and it's sent again. Thus, if you are sending and Outlook Express (in this case) does not get an acknowledgement from your ISP's e-mail server, for whatever reason, it assumes it was not received and sends it again or as many times as needed until it gets the "ack". Same way on the other end, if the ISP's server sends a message to the recipient's e-mail program and doesn't get an ack it assumes it was not delivered and resends it.

John Hawkins

Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 10:02 am     Outlook Express

Jack ,

I received your usual good advice ! I will not worry about it now after your message . It only has happened one time so I guess it was on my end !

Jack -- the Forum members thank you , for all the good things you do for us regarding these computers. You along with Wiz,have not doubt, have saved us a lot of money by helping us solve computer problems through the years .

We appreciate it a lot !! Just so you know !!

Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 10:37 am    

It also could be that the forwarded message was large and the setting below for Mail was enabled.

From Outlook Express Help:
With Outlook Express, you can send large messages or files to e-mail and news servers that have size limits, by breaking the messages into smaller ones. When the group of messages is received, the e-mail program combines them into one message.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.

John Hawkins

Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 10:58 am     Outlook Express

Jon,

Thanks a lot for you advise ! Will check that out and correct the settings !

Your reply and setting directive is appreciated !