The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Chance... a little over a year my friend.
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2009 5:33 pm    

It's been a little over a year since Jeff died. I really miss the guy. I played a ton of jobs with him and he was a true friend. We played and dedicated one of his hits "Heartache on Her Hand" last week.
Jeff was such a stunningly good musician as anyone who ever worked with him knows.

I worked really hard to try to play his stuff just like the record. He was always so forgiving when I didn't. Smile Rest peacefully friend.

Last edited by Steve Stallings on 25 Dec 2009 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2009 5:44 pm    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhWv24CBD8

"Picture on the Wall"

Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2009 5:56 pm     Re: Jeff Chance... a little over a year my friend.

Steve Stallings wrote:
It's been a little over a year since Jeff died. I really miss the guy. I played a ton of jobs with him and he was a true friend. We played and dedicated one of his hits "Heartache on Her Mind" last week.
Jeff was such a stunningly good musician as anyone who ever worked with him knows.

I worked really hard to try to play his stuff just like the record. He was always so forgiving when I didn't. Smile Rest peacefully friend.

Isn't that "Heartache on her Hands"? BTW, Steve, you were blessed to play with such an outstanding artist, I'm sure it was enjoyable. He is certainly missed. I first heard Jeff with the group "Chance", what a great band and thanks to you for bringing Jeff's name up again.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2009 6:01 pm    

Yes... you are correct.... senior moment here. (I'm 1/2 way thru a 24 Emergency Room Shift in Tomball, Texas... reflecting on the past year.) The band I still play in still has two members of "Chance" in it. At one time, we had three other players from "Chance". Currently, only John Anderson remains. He played with Jeff in "The Barons", and Texas Pride... as well as all of the Chance years.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2009 8:50 pm    

Steve
Thanks so much, Doc, for the update on Jeff's remembrance. I knew Jeff since the early 80's, when his band (Texas Pride) and mine (Texas Fever) played the same dance halls. Then we later worked next to each other for a long time with the Bandoleros, backing up Johnny Bush.

I worried about Jeff's health the last few years of his life, since there was always some issue he was dealing with, either physically or emotionally. But his passing was still very much of a shock to me. Way too young a man, with way too much talent, to leave us so soon.

Peace be unto his mom and his kids.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 1:10 pm    

I saw Jeff preform many times the last 8 or 10 years, while he was playing with Johnny Bush. Once in Bryan Texas, several years ago, he helped a young steel player in the Band, who seemed not to be familiar with Johnny`s songs. He stood near him and would nod or use his bow, signaling him when to make his runs.
Jeff was an outstanding preformer with his fiddle, and singing, and is truly missed by friends, family and the people who knew him.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 3:50 pm    

Jeff was a great musician, vocalist, and a dear friend. I get teary eyed every time I think about him. He used to come to the JAM sessions at Jody Camerons house and pick with us. He should have been a nation wide country music star. Thanks Steve for the rememberance. Jody.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2009 9:44 pm     Jeff

The loss of Jeff was a big blow to the Texas music community. I had the chance to know all the guys in Texas Pride and later Chance. Jeff was a great musical talent he played pretty darn good steel guitar on top of being a great fiddler and guitarist. John Anderson and Billy Hafer and Jeff and his brother Mickey made some great music together. I'm sure Jeff is smiling down on all of us that still play music and enjoy the gift that it is.