The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB - Icons Are Not Correct
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 6:02 am    

When I first got into Band-In-A-Box years ago, they had specific looking icons, especially the main BIAB .EXE application icon.

When I moved the saved BIAB from the xtrnl hdd after the W7 install, what I got, is what you see in the snapshot. BIAB [v11.0c2] runs just fine.

I just don't like the looks of the icons. I'd like to get the real BIAB icons back.

I updated v.11 yesterday and joined the BIAB forum (and posed the same problem); no reply as of yet.

So maybe someone can help me here? Maybe there's a quick fix, maybe not.

John Cipriano

San Francisco
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 2:49 pm    

Chip, do you mean to say that you restored BIAB by copying the folder in Program Files to your new Windows install rather than installing from the CD? Because that could easily cause that sort of problem.

Those icons have to do with what are called file associations, and while you can edit them by hand, the fastest thing would be to do a proper install of BIAB. If you don't have a CD or a downloaded full version installer (not just update), email PG with your license key and tell them you need a full install package, or to ship you a CD, etc. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 3:26 pm    

John is right. BIAB needs to be "installed".

That is also true of most other programs, you can't just copy them to a folder they must be installed using the programs installation routine.

Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 8:07 pm    

Some programs have a choice of icons available. In XP you can right click the icon choose "Properties" choose "Change Icon" and a box may show up with your choices. There may be only one. You can also make your own icons and refer the shortcut to them if you want.

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2009 11:44 am    

Yes, BIAB was copied from the xtl hdd.

I used to have a v.11 CD, but I'm not sure if I still have it. I'll have to go searching. I'm also not sure if I still have my registration code.

I remember now that BIAB actually sent me a replacement v.11 about the time it came out; as the 1st one they sent didn't seem to work after awhile.I'm
learning all the time; and slowly at that.

Thanks everyone.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2009 2:47 pm    

BIAB doesn't have a product key or serial number.

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2009 5:11 am    

Well,

I already sent off an inquery asking for the reg.key, so I guess they'll figure it out.

I haven't used BIAB in over a year, so I've naturally forgotten a lot.

I do remember, though, that they were very helpful, the last time around.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 4:12 pm    

Chip pg music has a chat window on the front page if you will go there and open it up and tell the agent your problem he will look your name up and then you can have him/her send you new disks or he can send download links to your email. If you get the right guy they will send disks for free if not they probably will charge you 5 bucks. Not a lot of people know about that little chat window it use to be up in the right hand corner all the way to the top of the main page. I have caught chat agents there at late as 11:00 pm central time and then at times they are not there at all. I guess it depends what time it is in Canada. Good luck

Bob

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 4:38 pm    

Thank you, Bob

I have not, as yet, got a response from BIAB. They wanna sell ya new stuff. Period.

It's a good program, but I hardly get it. That's why I lost interest in it.

They are "jazz' people who developed it. And their idea of a CHORUS, is way different than what "country" folk think as chorus. AABA or ABAB or BBAA - gets cornfusing.

But again, I appreciate that tip, and I will definitely give it a shot. I'll report back to the boardroom as soon as I get, either buffed, or accepted.
Very Happy