The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Norton Buffalo
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 7:26 am    

I haven't seen an official news report, but online blogs are saying that Norton Buffalo passed away last night. He had been diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks ago, and found out it had spread to his brain.

Way to young at 58 years old.

Rest In Peace!

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 9:18 am    

That's a real shame. He was a fine harmonica player. Rest in peace.

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 12:59 pm    

He passed away Friday, Oct 30th. For those who saw Norton in any one of his amazing performances you know we lost a giant among musician's. Take a moment, close your eyes and listen to impression he left in your mind. Gone but not forgotten.
Here is some info on the first of many benefits to help the family deal with his passing.

This note come's from Richard Burleigh of Fire on the Mountain.

"Hi Fire Mtn Friends,

Friday afternoon, October 30, 2009, our beloved friend, Norton Buffalo, passed away. This very talented, sharp minded, loving person is already talking up a whirlwind of ideas in the next world, I am sure. The benefit concert on the 22nd will be quite an emotional affaire. Send thoughts and remembrances to Norton's wife Lisa Flores, 5905 D --Clark Rd, Paradise CA 95969

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 2:48 pm    

Sorry to hear this. I met him many years ago when Cowboy Jazz opened for him at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, CA. He and his group were down to earth, no egos.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 4:17 pm    

I saw him in Glasgow with Cody in 1976. Danced about the stage singing and playing harmonica on `18 Wheels`, then doubling on trombone for the Western swing numbers. Hear it on the `We've Got A live One Here` album.
Just fantastic!
A sad loss indeed.

Arch

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 5:57 pm    

Norton is pretty much a local hero around these parts. I never shared the stage with him, but a lot of my friends did. He was a great player and showman. We'll miss him for sure.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 7:01 am    

A greeat loss, I saw and met Norton in Austin many moons ago, he and his band were great guys.Sure will miss his harpin Sad

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 2:10 pm    

What a sad loss of talent. I saw him live just a few times when I lived in the Bay Area. His steeler, if memory is correct, was Fred Jones, who also conducted a seminar for us at the East Bay Steel Guitar club, or whatever we called it. That may have been a stage name, anyone have info on him? Somewhere I still have a cassette I recorded from that seminar, where my main memory is getting an inkling what the F lever was all about. Later, Jeff Newman filled in the blanks soon thereafter at a Concord seminar hosted by Tom Bradshaw.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 3:38 pm    

Click to read this morning's Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

Crying or Very sad

dlaurice

Yorkville, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 4:35 pm    

John: Are you talking about info on Fred Jones? Fred (as he was known then) did play with Norton Buffalo for a while. Fred dropped the "Fred" long ago and went back to his real name, Daniel. I lost track of him for many years, but found him again a few years ago. He is now a Phd teaching musicology in Colorado. However, he is also a star on the Colorado steel guitar scene. Dan plays with a variety of bands in the Denver - Boulder area and does studio work as well. Just google "Daniel Jones steel guitar Colorado" and you will come up with all kinds of stuff.
Doug Laurice

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 11:26 am    

Wow, cool info, Doug, on "Daniel Jones," thanks so much. Proof that you can't hide on the internet.

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 7:54 pm    

Norton was well known on Maui too. He had many personal friends here and was likely to show up on any stage at any time. He loved Maui and Maui loved him. I remember how great and how ahead of its time was his LP Valley of The Moon. And as wonderful as his harmonica playing was his singing and song writing were just as interesting to me. Rest in peace brother.