The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many changer designs are there?
Jim Underwood

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 6:25 pm    

So far in my minimum amount of research, I have found 2 designs on all-pull changers and 1 design on push-pull. I can visual the mechanics of all these designs and how they operate.

One of the all-pull changer has a more complicated finger configuration. This is one that someone on here posted a link to.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/Bent61/Steel%20Project%202/fingersMar25sized.jpg

I have seen this basic design with a few modifications. Nothing major, and they all seem to work the same.

Are there any new all-pull changers out? Is this the current design that most steel builders are using? Has anyone tried to improve on this?

Sorry to ask. I am an engineer and have an interest in mechanisms. I always wondered how the all-pull worked,

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 7:16 pm    

Jim, I posted that picture. I would say that is the very basic all-pull scissors type changer.The only thing that is not common to all other changers is the sealed ball bearing on the lowering bar.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 8:07 pm    

I'd say the Anapeg,Lamar and Excel changers are quite a bit different than anything else and different from each other as well. One thing they do have in common is the strings are pulled laterally instead of with the rocking cam motion found on all the other changers. That's why they don't ever break strings. There are other substantial differences as well - especially on the Excel.

Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 9:04 pm    

Michael Johnstone wrote:
I'd say the Anapeg,Lamar and Excel changers are quite a bit different than anything else and different from each other as well. One thing they do have in common is the strings are pulled laterally instead of with the rocking cam motion found on all the other changers. That's why they don't ever break strings. There are other substantial differences as well - especially on the Excel.

Do the Excels with keys work like that too? Or just the Excel Superbs?

Jim Underwood

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 10:37 pm    

Does anyone know where I could get photos, schematics, or samples of various finger mechanisms?

Stuart Tindall

England, UK
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 12:26 am    

Jim

The US Patents office is a good place to begin, for example,

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6002075&id=EWMWAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=pedal+steel+guitar&ie=ISO-8859-1#PPA1-IA1,M1

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4147086&id=Pp84AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=pedal+steel+guitar&ie=ISO-8859-1#PPP1,M1

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5044247&id=UCYjAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP2&dq=pedal+steel+guitar&ie=ISO-8859-1#PPP1,M1

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4157050&id=QHo0AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=pedal+steel+guitar&ie=ISO-8859-1

There are lots on there, just do a search for pedal steel guitar or pich changer etc

Stuart

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 7:15 am    

Quote:
Do the Excels with keys work like that too? Or just the Excel Superbs?

I think the changer is the same these days on either one. But there's no point in getting a keyed model because then you'd miss out on all the advantages of a keyless. Plus Excel has a fantastic cabinet drop compensating system that will only work with the keyless head.

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 12:58 pm    

ANAPEG has NO cabinet drop. NO compensators, either.

Bill

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 1:43 pm    

The old (cable) Fender steels were the same way, no cabinet drop. Cool

Of course, for most all modern steels it's a not a big issue anyway. Smile

Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 2:11 am    

Do anyone know what changer Fessenden has?

I know that it is an All-Pull, but it would be interesting to know exactly how it's made (withouth disassembling the guitar)

// Anders

Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 2:19 am    

Michael Johnstone wrote:

I think the changer is the same these days on either one. But there's no point in getting a keyed model because then you'd miss out on all the advantages of a keyless. Plus Excel has a fantastic cabinet drop compensating system that will only work with the keyless head.

Okay, thanks...I was just asking cause I got one of the ones with keys a few months ago. Even without the compensating system, there's hardly any cabinet drop at all.

Tony Kotula

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 9:56 am     How many changer designs are there?

This is an interesting topic. I play an older Excel Dl0
model 2000. Can you please explain what you mean by cabinet drop? I have an idea about what it means. But I would like to know exactly what it's all about.
Also, I have a new GFI Uni12 keyless coming soon!
What are your thoughts on this keyless model? Thanks!

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 11:26 am    

"Cabinet drop" refers to the phenomenon that, when pedals are pressed, strings not connected to the pedals being pressed go slightly flat. It's called "cabinet drop" because one idea of the cause of this is that the guitar's cabinet is flexed by the downward pull of the pedals, but there are other theories, and I believe it's difficult to pin down the exact cause(s).

Steve Epstein

Folsom, CA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 11:56 am     Cabinet Drop

I have an Excel Superb and I agree with what's been said here. These are really great guitars. Mechanically superior to anything I have ever played. I have an Anapeg coming around the first of the year and I think they are about the same size. Sorry for deviating from the topic. I have attached a couple of images Noel Ansted recently sent of the cabinet wood for my guitar. He did mention that this was the last one he was going to build, but hey, Brett Favre is playing.