The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho bud, clip on
Stuart Tindall

England, UK
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 12:56 pm    

I bought a Sho Bud volume pedal, the clip on type, some time ago and am currently modifying it to fit my home built steel. It needs some work as it has already been modified.
Does anyone have a photo of how they actually attached to a Sho bud pedal bar and at what angle. Any info or opinions of these pedals will be most appreciated.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 1:35 pm    

I have the exact volume pedal you do. On my Sho~Bud guitars pedal bar, there is a attachment mounted to that bar. It has a horizontal, round bar, about 3/16" thick. On my pedal, there is a hook on the front of the pedal, that hooks onto that bar, and I hook it, from underneath, so it can only unhook, by lifting the pedal up. On your picture, I do not see that hook.

Hope this helps you. Ronnie

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 9:39 pm     Re: Sho bud, clip on

Double post. Sorry

Last edited by Jeff Hyman on 16 Oct 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 9:41 pm     Re: Sho bud, clip on

Stuart Tindall wrote:
I bought a Sho Bud volume pedal, the clip on type, some time ago and am currently modifying it to fit my home built steel. It needs some work as it has already been modified.
Does anyone have a photo of how they actually attached to a Sho bud pedal bar and at what angle. Any info or opinions of these pedals will be most appreciated.

Stuart,

Ronnies photo is on the money. This is an item you probably can get from Bobbe Seymore. What mods are you making? It should work best as it is, without any mods. I have three of these... as I find it a real PITA to change that wax coated string on the volumne pot.

Stuart Tindall

England, UK
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 12:12 am    

Thanks Ronnie,
thats put me in the picture as to how it would clip on originally.
However, my problem is that someone has removed the hook, presumably to fit on of those brackets that fit over the pedal bar, probably on a different guitar to a Sho Bud. Now there is no bracket fitted just 2 holes.
So to answer Jeffs question I now need to fabricate something to make it attach onto my steel.
Just 1 more question Ronnie, Does the front foot that the string goes under rest on the ground, when in use or if not how how much gap is there underneath?

Thanks

Stuart

Howard Hughes

Roanoke/South Norfolk, Virginia - Now Living In Junction City, Kansas USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 11:56 am    

Stuart,
I Would Get In Touch with Tom Bradshaw, I Think he had the same problem last month, and I Think He Fab a Bracket to Make It Fit? His Email Address Is: tommybradshaw@gmail.com I Hope This Helps?, From The Land of OZ - Howie Whoa!
Italia Maranello Gold Sparkle Guitar/6-string Lap Steel Guitar (LDG-Green)-Custom Made By Andy Hinton, (August 10, 1933 - July 3, 2011). "RIP My Friend!!", "I Think Of You Everyday & Really Miss Our Talks!!"/Coated Finger Picks By Andy Hinton/"KEEP ON PICKIN"/Blessings!/ "May You Always Have Love & Wealth To Share, Health To Spare and Friends Who Care!"/Your Fan & Friend - From The Land Of OZ - ♫Howie- "The Wizard"♫ ☺ ♥

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 12:53 pm    

Stuart, I have the same pedal. It looks to me like you have the start of the hook there. How about taking a round file and round out/ deepen the corner of the hook and then turn the adjustment screw (for height) to make the hook touch the cross pin of the bracket. That should work.
Bent
By the way, it looks like you are missing the adjustment screw - in the hole next to the hook

Last edited by Bent Romnes on 18 Oct 2009 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 12:54 pm     Pedal attachment

Stuart, here is the URL for Tom's thread.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=167197&highlight=

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2009 6:56 am    

To your question, no that bracket is off the ground. Only thing that touches the ground is the 2 back points. I thought in seeing your picture, that the hook part was missing. it wouldnt be hard to fabricate a hook for the front. And also, yes that string is a real pain to put back on when you change pots, or it breaks. The worst part is setting the pot so it is not hitting the internal stops, when you have the pedal off, or all the way on. Good luck. Ronnie

Howard Hughes

Roanoke/South Norfolk, Virginia - Now Living In Junction City, Kansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2009 7:54 pm     Sold

Stuart, (I'm Sorry, The Seller Has Already Sold This Bracket!)

, This Is A Volume Pedal Bracket, That I Beleave Might Work For Your Sho-Bud Volume Pedal?, Good Luck, God Bless, From The Land Of OZ - Howie Whoa!
Italia Maranello Gold Sparkle Guitar/6-string Lap Steel Guitar (LDG-Green)-Custom Made By Andy Hinton, (August 10, 1933 - July 3, 2011). "RIP My Friend!!", "I Think Of You Everyday & Really Miss Our Talks!!"/Coated Finger Picks By Andy Hinton/"KEEP ON PICKIN"/Blessings!/ "May You Always Have Love & Wealth To Share, Health To Spare and Friends Who Care!"/Your Fan & Friend - From The Land Of OZ - ♫Howie- "The Wizard"♫ ☺ ♥

Stuart Tindall

England, UK
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 1:20 pm    

Hi all,

Many thanks to everyone that gave information and advice and tried to solve my issue. Here's what I came up with as a result,
This is a picture of the hook I fabricated, by riveting an extra piece of aluminum onto the existing pedal, using 2 1/8 inch brass rivets made from brazing rod, and shaping to form the hook below. I also added an adjustment screw which was missing.

Here is the bracket I built from stainless steel and a block of hard rubber.

The rubber block slots into the channel at the back of my pedal bar and then the 2 hex screws are tightened a turn or so to nip the rubber onto the channel (works great)
The pedal is then hooked in as normal.

Stuart

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 4:29 pm    

Way to go. You did a fine job on that pedal, and the bracket. Very professional looking. Smile

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 4:59 pm    

Stuart, so you tighten up the 2 screws and that pulls the metal rod against the rubber and makes it expand, which in turn squeezes into the pedal bar? Like the stoppers in the old thermos bottles? Ingenious!