The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scratchy volume pot
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 2:14 am    

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times--but what's the best way to clean the pot? (Goodrich 120)

Derby SD-10 (#316) NV-112, TruTone.

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 2:40 am    

Ray,
If the pot is a claristat you might be in luck.
One type can be cleaned the other is a throw away.
I took mine out and took the back off........carefully pry up the prongs holding back on. If the pot has "knuckles" riding on the carbon you are in luck a commercial cleaner will work then put it back together. If the pot has a tiny brick of carbon riding on the other carbon.......throw it away.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 3:58 am    

Buy one of Tom Bradshaw's Dunlop Hot Potz units and install it. Better still, buy two, and you have a spare. You can get a complete Goodrich volume pedal from Tom with the new pot installed, if you think having a spare volume pedal is worth the effort (many do).
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Trevor Fagan

Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 6:25 am    

As a temporary fix, I find that good-ole WD-40 does the trick quite well.... but a scratchy pot will have to be replaced.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 7:15 am    

Ray I used contact cleaner on my Clarostat. It worked for a while, then it got scratchy before too long. I then gave up and installed a new Dunlop and my worries should be over for the next 1 million revolutions...

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 9:56 am    

Often, a scratchy pot can be sorta fixed by just simply working it a bunch of times. That's the very first thing I always try! Just pump the pedal a whole bunch. You may be lucky.

Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 12:26 pm    

Ray, I just put a new pot from Tom Bradshaw in my Goodrich and it made all the difference!!! Very Happy

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 3:58 pm    

The pot in my pedal was cleaned once after about six months, that has been over three years ago. Just waiting to see.

Joel Meredith

Portland,Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 11:03 am    

"Deoxit"

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Deoxit&rkg=1&gclid=COyU9-S65Z0CFShGagod_ltSMQ

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 5:26 pm    

Go to Radio Shack and get a can of spray "cleaner/lubricant" for controls. (Make sure whatever you use has some lubricant in it.) Remove the back cover of the pot, and spray it vigorously while working it back and forth. Then put the cover back on and try it out!

I also recommend the same procedure for new pots, before they are installed. Shocked Many players think the quality of pots has declined in the last 20 years. Whereas, it's my belief that they simply stopped lubricating them when they are built. Whether it's a car engine or a pair of hedge clippers, Any mechanical device will fail sooner if it's used continuously without the proper lubrication.