The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hurley Moncus, great fiddler/vocalist RIP.....
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2009 5:47 am    

Fiddler/vocalist Hurley Moncus of Virginia has passed away. He went into the hospital about 5 weeks ago to have a stint put in his artery. They put him under anesthesia for the procedure and when it was over they couldn't wake him up. He remained in a coma for a month and then passed away a few days ago.

Hurley was well known in this area in both the country music and bluegrass circles. He was in my band about 15 years ago as our resident fiddler/harmony vocalist, and the man who did all the George Strait songs. He loved to play in flats & sharps which is uncommon for most fiddle players. Hurley was retired from the US Air Force and owned an upholstery shop in the area for many years. One of the good guys for sure! We'll miss him..........JH in Va.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2009 3:04 am    

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I had a friend who passed away about three months ago who went under anesthesia and never woke up as well. Odd to say the least.