The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal Bracket - Problem Solved - Please Close
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 7:46 am    

I have a nice volume pedal that I think was one made by the Emmons' Company back when Ron Lashley was building these pedals. I need to locate the bracket that is mounted to the pedal bar, then allows the pedal to be mounted to it. This pedal is a casting that has a "hook" on the front end that clips to this bracket. The bracket itself is a rather heavy piece of aluminum extrusion that is mounted to the pedal bar by a couple of screws. Without that mounting bracket, the pedal is worthless. If anyone knows where such a bracket can be purchased, please alert me.

I suspect that owners of these pedals know what I'm talking about. If I'm not clear, I'll figure out a way to take a picture of the bracket I want (since I have two of these pedals and one has the bracket with it). I plan to sell both pedals when I get them polished up, but suspect if I can't find the bracket that one of them needs, it will be a worthless accessory! ...Tom

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 18 Oct 2009 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 8:43 am    

Tom, there really isn't a bracket per se. There's a hole in the top of the pedal bar for the pin, and 2 rectangular pieces of aluminum on the bottom of the pedal bar that the vp's rubber feet rest on.
Those pieces are available from Emmons, or can be made by a metal shop. And you can drill a hole in the pedal bar...that's what I did on my Sho-Bud years ago.

There are actual brackets that have been fabricated to attach to pedal bars that are of a different design, like a late-model Sho-Bud pedal bar, for ex.
I have one that I was going to use on a SuperPro. Let me know if you need a pic and I'll dig it out and take one for you.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 12:08 pm    

The bracket Tom speaks of is a small 90 degree
bracket mounted from the front of the pedal bar
with 2 screws. It has a 5/16 hole in the center for
the pin to drop through after it has been put in the
top of the bar and run thru the pedal. Without this
the pedal pin will not hold it.
Ron Lashley may have it or you could make it.

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 12:18 pm     Bracket?

That being what you say, then this isn't an Emmons' volume pedal; my mistake. I'm going to have to take a picture of this puppy and post it. Most all of the pedal (base and treadle) are castings. The front end of the pedal is made like a fish hook, with the "barb" pointing skyward. The pedal's mounting bracket is then mounted to the bottom edge of the pedal bar where a couple of holes must be drilled into it. The pedal has to be lifted at an angle for attaching the "fish hook" to a horizontal pin mounted in the bracket. Following this attachment, the pedal is lowered and rests against the bracket (slick!). The guitar and pedal can then be moved about without taking the pedal from the guitar (just like other pedal brackets permit).

Like I said, I'll have to take a picture of this unit unless someone knows the brand of pedal. ...Tom

P.S.: Paul, just as I posted the above, I discovered that you had posted. The attachment bracket you mention is not how this pedal is mounted to the pedal bar. I'm familiar with the mount you have. MSA drilled a hole in most all of their pedal bars (on their 1970's and '80s guitars) to accommodate the MSA brand of volume pedal.

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 12:52 pm     Is it really a Sho-Bud pedal?

Hey all. I examined the pedals and found a Sho-Bud decal on one of them. Am I blind or what? I don't know if someone just put this sticker on or not, but I have to think it is a Sho-Bud pedal, not an Emmons. I've got to take a picture of this. ...Tom

Howard Hughes

Roanoke/South Norfolk, Virginia - Now Living In Junction City, Kansas USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 10:49 pm     Sho-Bud Clip-On Volume Pedal

Hay Tom,
Here Is A Picture Of A Sho-Bud Clip-On Volume Pedal Like I Got From Jeff Surratt At Showpro, Maby Some One With A Machine Shop Could Make One of Those Clips?, Or They Come Up For Sale Every Once In A While, Tommy White Was The Last Member I Seen With One For Sale!, Hope This Helps?, Good Luck, God Bless, From The Land Of OZ - Howie Whoa!

Italia Maranello Gold Sparkle Guitar/6-string Lap Steel Guitar (LDG-Green)-Custom Made By Andy Hinton, (August 10, 1933 - July 3, 2011). "RIP My Friend!!", "I Think Of You Everyday & Really Miss Our Talks!!"/Coated Finger Picks By Andy Hinton/"KEEP ON PICKIN"/Blessings!/ "May You Always Have Love & Wealth To Share, Health To Spare and Friends Who Care!"/Your Fan & Friend - From The Land Of OZ - ♫Howie- "The Wizard"♫ ☺ ♥

Last edited by Howard Hughes on 19 Oct 2009 4:51 am; edited 5 times in total

Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 5:45 am     Bracket

I once had a Emmons V. P. that sounds like yours Tom, the "hook" went inside of the pedal bar then up thru a hole in the top flange. there were two thumb screws with rubber feet that sat on top of two flat pieces of alum that screwed to the bottom flange of the pedal bar, the thumb screws wold hold the pedal in place so you could carry the guitar with the pedal attached.

Al

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 7:35 am     Attachment Bracket for Sho-Bud pedal

Thanks to all, but I solved the problem. Since I posted here over a month ago, and couldn't find the bracket I wanted, so I made one myself. It was a bit of work but functions perfectly Sad . ...Tom

Howard Hughes

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 12:17 pm     Sho-Bud Clip-On Volume Pedal

Hay Tom,
I was Just Wondering If The Following Pictures, Are Like The Volume Pedal That You Was Having A Problem With, and Fab a Bracket For It?, If So Just For Your Info: Stuart Tindall, England, UK is Having the Same Problem!, Maby You Could Tell Him How to Fix It?, Thanks, From The Land Of OZ - Howie Whoa!

Italia Maranello Gold Sparkle Guitar/6-string Lap Steel Guitar (LDG-Green)-Custom Made By Andy Hinton, (August 10, 1933 - July 3, 2011). "RIP My Friend!!", "I Think Of You Everyday & Really Miss Our Talks!!"/Coated Finger Picks By Andy Hinton/"KEEP ON PICKIN"/Blessings!/ "May You Always Have Love & Wealth To Share, Health To Spare and Friends Who Care!"/Your Fan & Friend - From The Land Of OZ - ♫Howie- "The Wizard"♫ ☺ ♥

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 2:08 pm     Pedal Bracket

Hi Howard. Yes, the picture you provided is of the pedal. The problem was, I didn't have the bracket that attaches to the pedal bar. After not hearing from anyone regarding buying one, I made one myself. It took a lot of hacksawing with different piecs of metal, but I got the job done. When I sell this pedal to someone, they will be pleased with the bracket I made. ...Tom

Howard Hughes

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 2:38 pm     Sho-Bud Clip-On Volume Pedal

Tom,
Thank You For The Info, I Hope If Stuart Tindall, From England, UK, Gets In Touch With You, That You can Help Him?, He has the Same Problem!, Thanks, From The Land Of OZ - Howie Whoa!