The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB Summary...Please tolerate!
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2009 10:31 am    

I know all the little bits of info on BIAB are in this section, but it would take a while to go through everything, so, at the risk of repeating duplicate information, can someone summarize the features, or rather the quality and ease of use, of the newest version?
For the record, I bought a version from Jim Baron almost ten years ago and I think it went away with the 386 computer it was loaded on!
It came with his CD of 4100 songs and was well worth the money.
But, the overall midi sounds were kind of cheesy. To be fair, I never upgraded anything and was in fact, running it on a clone 386 puter with god knows what for a sound card.
So, conclusion: What can I expect with the newest version, do I need a special sound card and should I get it from Jim again (if he still sells it)?
My goal is some realistic backing for recording.

Jim Baron

Madera, Ca.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2009 1:14 pm    

Hi Tony, I'm still around..))) Sent you an e-mail. Jim

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2009 3:36 am    

Tony, I expect that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality level, and the relative ease of use.

While the instrument sound quality is still definately MIDI, as opposed to real musicians, there are real instrument tracks available for BIAB, especially drums, which helps a bunch.

I've done some recording using BIAB tracks as backup, and honestly, the average listener never knows the difference. Musicians on the other hand will notice it.

Hope that this is helpful!
David

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2009 11:53 am    

Thanks, David. You mean there are real instrument sounds available for BIAB? If so, why doesn't everyone use them?
Anyway, I'm waiting for Jim to give me a call.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2009 12:11 pm    

Tony,You need to go to PG music site amd listen to the demos of real insturments..They are pretty darn good..
http://pgmusic.com/

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 7:42 am    

Thanks for the update, guys. Big Jim filled me in and helped me out once again. I should be on my way to backup track heaven in a few days with a great deal.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 1:38 pm    

I have a Sound Blaster Audidy 2 sound card in my computer at home. It generates good sound but recently I invested in an EMU 1616m digital Audio System. The sound card mounts in the computer and then there is a cable that runs to an external MicroDock with lots of inputs and outputs.
I'd kind of like to get going on some recording.
Your BIAB will only sound as good as the sound card it's connected to.