The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Message To All Members Of The Forum
Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2009 5:27 pm    

RE: STEEL GUITAR HALL OF FAME

Now that the annual steel guitar hall of fame convention has wound down some of you have already heard that I have respectifully asked that the powers to be remove me from contention from being inducted. I have been nominated and rejected many times to the point that it has become a joke and I have asked to be removed from the laff track. I am among you steelers that climed up on consession stands at drive in theaters with our guitar and amp, dressed in coal bins at theaters and played on flat bed trailers at fairs, and the beat goes on. I am also the guy that let you steelers in the back door at concerts that only picked on the weekend and worked during the week at an auto parts store.
Since there were only a hand full of us in 1945 when I hit the scene and picked on hundreds of records and sweated on Saturday nights at an un airconditioned Opry and traveled in an un airconditioned cars, I hope you forum members will understand, us steelers are a differend breed.
And we all realize we will never be mentioned in Forbes Magazine and I commend the Steel Guitar Convention for letting steelers play in front of of an audience.

Love You All
AS EVER B/4
DON DAVIS

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2009 9:58 pm    

How many times was there three of you riding in the back seat and the middle guy was a stand-up Bass Fiddle with the neck hanging over the front seat and it was 200 miles to the next gig.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 7:28 am    

Musicians do not need plaques, trophies or medals to commemorate their achievements. It is obvious, Don, from your forum posts that you have a rich musical history. The adulation of your friends, family and musical peers is all that's necessary to feel a sense of pride and accomplishment about your experiences in music. There are thousands of unsung heroes out there; many have walked in the same shoes you have, and many haven't. You must cherish your own personal memories and share them with those who are interested in being enlightened about the way it was, and how easy we have it today in comparison.

The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame is a good way to recognize those who have made major contributions to the instrument. However, not getting a plaque does not mean one has not made a difference. We musicians did not get into this racket for the gold; we got into it for the girls! Ha!

Anyway, please continue to share your stories with us younger players. It's always great to hear about the escapades on the road and in the studio back when music was raw and pure.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 6:51 pm     Ray Minich

Any time awards are given, someone is gonna be disappointed at not being picked.

Ah, the story of my life...

Get over it and have a good time again.

There be a segment of us folks from the woods that are happy that the steel is being recognized at all... I thank Scott and the SGHOF dudes for doin' what they've done so far, so I could see it for the first time this year. i'm inspired by it.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 7:24 pm    

Don
Many worthy players are nominated for the Hall of Fame. Few are inducted.

If you are, as you've now stated a few times, a laughingstock amongst your friends and acquaintances because you haven't been inducted yet, I would suggest to you that they are not truly friends of yours and that you should associate with others more sympathetic to your needs and desires, people unwilling to enjoy themselves at the expense of your feelings.

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 7:34 pm     The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame Members

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Hello fellow Comrades of the steel Guitar Forum; Can anyone tell me whom was inducted into this special Organization this year at St.Louis? I have spent very little time here on the forum this summer, so have missed out on a lot of the news, concerning the Steel Guitar World of Music..
Thanks..Bernie Whoa! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 7:37 pm    

Barbara Mandrell, Ron Elliott, and Bud from carter steels

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 8:13 pm    

Don,
Tell us more. PSG players were pretty rare even in the early 70's... I mean if you owned one a band would hire you to just sit there. Back in 1945 was the big-band era. Right? I'd like to hear some more stories about PSG back in those days. I think you underestimate how the younger crowd here would love to hear those stories.

Does the Hall of Fame have a website?

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 8:37 pm    

I would consider it an honor just to be nomimated. Confused

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 9:04 pm    

Don S. Davis said:
Quote:
I am among you steelers that climed up on consession stands at drive in theaters with our guitar and amp, dressed in coal bins at theaters and played on flat bed trailers at fairs,

Don, to me your a hero. You know why? Because, you've survived "the trenches" of this crazy music biz. I'm sure in the above statement you haven't even scratched the surface of all of the great things you've experienced.

So, whatever you do, don't feel rejected.

I think it would be great if b0b had a place here on the forum where guys (like you) were encouraged to share some of those great memories.

The stories may seem silly to you, but to guys like me, they are like precious gems.

It's just one of the many things I love about this forum. Smile

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 9:12 pm    

Danny Bates wrote:
I think it would be great if b0b had a place here on the forum where guys (like you) were encouraged to share some of those great memories.

The stories may seem silly to you, but to guys like me, they are like precious gems.

Isn't that what the Stories section is for? Confused

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 9:17 pm    

Yes, it is b0b, maybe we need to encourage these guys to quit being so shy and cut lose with more of this stuff! Smile

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 9:24 pm    

I agree, lots of crazy things happens out there,I'm not afraid to tell on myself. Don't be bashful guys,lets hear those stories. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2009 6:56 pm     Being A Winner In Your Own Band

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Hi fellow Forumites : I , too , have never been nominated for a grammy or a place on the Steel Guitae Hall of Fame , during my 54 years of being an active steel guitar musician, working Gigs as a Week-end Warrior for a bunch of years. But for me, the biggest moment for me while actively working with a great band..was the time that our lead singer; in be-half of the other members of our band, presented me with one of the nicest and most beautiful wall plaques ; declaring me as the world's number one [ &the greatest ] steel player in all of Northern N.Y. Area in which we were most active, at that time.
Naturally, I didn't believe that for a minute, but was so proud that my fellow musicians had that kind of love and respect for me.. I shall cherish their jesture until the day my Lord calls me home..It was more to me than a spot on the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame..But hang in there, friends, some day Scotty will be handing you an App. for membership.. Enjoy..Bernie Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2009 10:05 pm     Don Davis, Johnny Siebert, Billy Robinson & Jerry Byrd.

These were the early-day steel players that really opened the door for the imaginations of we next generation wanna-be steel players.
I too, spent many a summer, playing on a blistering hot, bouncing flat bed trailer in some dusty, grimey, dirt parking lot outside some rodeo or fair ground or beer tavern.
Don's distinctive style, like Johnny Siebert and Billy, etc., were so 'special' and some of us worked very hard to learn all of their solo's and fills on the records they'd cut with the BIG STARS.
They were our challenge! They made it interesting for all of us. Without them, most of us would never have made it as far as we did, as humble as that might be.
Not a plaque on a basement wall but Don, each of you remain high atop our list of musical hero's.
Thanks for being there and for giving your creative all...........

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 6:39 am    

In talking to some people their thoughts and mine seemed on how Barbara Mandrell could make it in before Sonny Garish and Russ Hicks or Big Jim Vest whose very Idea it was to form such a show..?.Never the less Barbara is more than worthy...Certainly more popular and already famous..The selections are taken from nominations and voted on by the selection committee...I don't see any undeserving names on that wall.Are there those more deserving that have been overlooked? In any system there always is..Next years nominees are already voted on and selected...But how much room is left on that particular wall to actually put everyone deserving?? I'm hoping that an international player will make it as I'm amazed at the players over there and their abilities..And this is called the ISGA I believe..

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 7:36 am    

The Country Music Hall of Fame has some that should be in that are not and some that are in there that are questionable, in my opinion. The same way with the SGHOF. It will be that way with ANY Hall of Fame.

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 8:40 am    

Don, you have said it right, I to have climb that latter, 50 years of the same type musical experience as you have had. Bars, VFW , American Legion, Shrine, Moose lodge, Theaters, you name it, I been there playing my Steel or Guitar. I would not trade those memories for anything. The love for my Steel Guitar and TRADITIONAL country music is what keeps me young at heart. I will be 77 on 30 Sept. KEEP STEELING, Shorty

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 10:34 am    

Shorty,my buddy you got that right,There are more of us than there are of hall of fame members.There are plenty of guys like you and I that have spent decades in plush clubs,shull orchards,chicked wire joints,smokey honkey tonks that will never be in a hall of fame,[or even in a hall of shame] But ain't it fun ? Your buddy Charlie. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 11:43 am    

Barbara...Mandrell...??? You're kidding, right?
Muttering

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 12:41 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Barbara...Mandrell...??? You're kidding, right?
Muttering

Donny, I don't know how much Barbara Mandrell has done to warrant being inducted into a Steel Guitar Hall of Fame but have you heard her play pedal steel? She's really quite good.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 12:48 pm    

I'm sure there are steelers worthy of this honor maybe more than Barbara. BUT she was a fine player at a VERY early age.Guess it was a novelty at the time. If you ever enter a talent show with a CUTE kid or CUTE animal.Just pack up and go home. No matter how good you are,you WILL lose. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2009 1:03 pm    

Quote:
. . . have you heard her play pedal steel?

http://www.gazotube.com/E2WGso5Yhpo.html

http://www.gazotube.com/F1T0vGP2DEk.html

(Didn't figure it was "You Can Eat Crackers in My Bed Anytime" that put her over the top.)

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2009 11:57 am    

If she wasn't so talented--singing, acting, playing multiple instruments--maybe she would have had time to concentrate her time and energy on the steel guitar. I have always enjoyed her talent. Joe

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2009 1:48 pm    

Andy Sandoval wrote:
Donny, I don't know how much Barbara Mandrell has done to warrant being inducted into a Steel Guitar Hall of Fame but have you heard her play pedal steel? She's really quite good.

Sure Andy, I've heard and seen her many times, and she's a good player. But, I had thought that that was only one of the many criteria for nomination.