The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame2
Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 12:04 pm    

In answer to the many Members of the Forum, It has been a standing joke as to why I have not been inducteed. I have been ribbed about this for years, I have inturn pulled Scotty"s leg in the way of letters and other forms of practical jokes and his reply to me is you are on the List! I am posting one of my letters to Scotty. I will not post his response to me as I do not have his permission. Please let me add that I have the highest regard for the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, and maybe I just do not measure to their standards.

Don Davis

Any comment would be appreciated.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 12:58 pm    

Don, I always thought it was Dewitt Scott. Smile

Sad to say, I think you are just too guilty of too many things. Sorry. Crying or Very sad Embarassed Razz Smile Muttering

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 3:57 pm    

Don, could have been your steel playing was OK, but your dancing wasn't up to par! After all, those were the days of Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly and Donald
O'Conner.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 9:50 pm     Now wait a minute!

Don was not the greatest square dancer on the Opry, I'll concede that much to you however..........

He did look GREAT in those cute little tights!!!

Don......don't feel too bad now. My super clean living style, my shy, introverted, humbleness, my avoidance of drugs, booze, loose cars and fast women, my obvious lack of talent and creativity, are, I do believe, just a few of the reasons that Scotty has avoided me. I never looped or barrel rolled an airplane as I'm not brave enough........like Bobbe Seymour.

Oh, and I've had too many wives and too many guitars.

Hang in there! Some times they'll acknowledge one's level of mediocraty just to get rid of them. There's still time and it's on your side.

Your friend from out here on the LEFT Coast. I really love your olde Shot Jackson/Jerry Byrd Fry Pan.

Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 2:25 pm    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
Don, could have been your steel playing was OK, but your dancing wasn't up to par! After all, those were the days of Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly and Donald
O'Conner.

Clyde- If my dancing wasn't up to par in the 50's you should see my try to Boogie now! I give up.

Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 2:30 pm     Re: Now wait a minute!

Ray Montee wrote:
Don was not the greatest square dancer on the Opry, I'll concede that much to you however..........

He did look GREAT in those cute little tights!!!

Don......don't feel too bad now. My super clean living style, my shy, introverted, humbleness, my avoidance of drugs, booze, loose cars and fast women, my obvious lack of talent and creativity, are, I do believe, just a few of the reasons that Scotty has avoided me. I never looped or barrel rolled an airplane as I'm not brave enough........like Bobbe Seymour.

Oh, and I've had too many wives and too many guitars.

Hang in there! Some times they'll acknowledge one's level of mediocraty just to get rid of them. There's still time and it's on your side.

Your friend from out here on the LEFT Coast. I really love your olde Shot Jackson/Jerry Byrd Fry Pan.

Ray- I knew I could count on you, I now understand!

Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 2:34 pm    

Bent Romnes wrote:
Don, I always thought it was Dewitt Scott. Smile

Sad to say, I think you are just too guilty of too many things. Sorry. Crying or Very sad Embarassed Razz Smile Muttering

Bent Romes- Thanks for telling me I got Scotty's name Bass Akards - I have been called a nit witt so much, I can't get Dewitt right!

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 9:12 am    

Don, you're a class act and a good sport.
Despite everything you said I hope you get nominated Laughing

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 7:27 pm    

Mr. Davis has been nominated three times since I have been secretary of the Steel Guitar Convention Board (2003), including this year. The documentation for his nomination is current.

Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 11:53 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Mr. Davis has been nominated three times since I have been secretary of the Steel Guitar Convention Board (2003), including this year. The documentation for his nomination is current.

Mr. Steiner-----I appreciate the info in regard to me being nominated several times to the Steel Guitar Hall oo Hame Now I know How Susan Luchey felt. I have also been told that if I am inducteed, I will be with an arestic!

Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2009 6:02 am     Tommy Gibbons

To Tommy Gibbons in NW Tennessee,

Thanks for letting me hear from you. Since I logged on the Forum, I am hearing from some great people. Since my letter of "confession" to Scotty (posted on the Forum) I have only received one negative comment and said "MAY A BAND OF NOMADIC BARBERS GANG LATHER YOU"

Don Davis

Don S. Davis

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2009 8:17 am     Art Aliano

Dear Art,

It was great to hear from you one of the joys of being on the road was when weekend warriors like yourself would come backstage after the show and visit with me.

I am answering you on the Forum because I might be able to explain some things that other steelers might ask.
Many times, on those old videos(I picked on) I was playing someone else's guitar. I would play what ever guitar that was sitting there, so I do not remember what I did on the Carl Smith "HEY JOE".

Jerry Byrd and I were good friends and used to trade "insults". Jerry said I was a scatter brain and said I sounded like I strung up my guitar with bailing wire, so I hope you will forgive me for not giving you a good a answer.

Don Davis

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 5:23 am    

Don at least you owned up to your trangressions. Now go and sin no more. This is the Gospel according to Tommy.
Tommy Shown

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 11:28 am     Re: Art Aliano

Don S. Davis wrote:
Jerry said I was a scatter brain and said I sounded like I strung up my guitar with bailing wire
Finally the secrets come out. What brand and gauge of baling wire did you use, Don? Devil

Per HoFs, all of them have rediculous ommissions and most have members that are real headshakers. The SGHoF is probably one of the few that the latter doesn't relate to, but Don, not having you included is indeed an error that hopefully will be addressed asap. Either way, you've certainly done your job!