The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB on new hard drive
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 6:06 pm    

Now that my C drive is toast on my main computer, do you suppose there is a way to load BIAB back on the new hard drive, or do I have to buy it again? Any one have that experience?

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 7:46 pm    

Sounds like you downloaded instead of hard copies. Call PG Music and they should fix you up with another download..They have it registered.That's why I pay the extra $5 for the hard copies..

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 9:34 pm    

Ken, I would definitely look into obtaining some back up disks. I upgraded from 2004 to the 2009.5 UltraPak and it came on an external hard drive.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 6:56 am    

I'm just having a new computer built for me. I was having trouble with my old one. I think the size of the hard drive was part of the problem. The BIAB files are gettings sooooo large that you really need a computer with a large hard drive. The last upgrade from BIAB came with 10-12 DVDs. Those "real band" files take up a lot of room.
I'm like Papa Joe, I like to have the disks in hand.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 5:42 pm    

I have discs. All but the first are updates. That means I have to start with something like BIAB 8 and go up from there. Such fun.

On second thought, I['ll call BIAB. I don't want to have to wait for 6 or so discs to be loaded in.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 6:00 pm    

I've never been successful with the downloads.Some of them don't always work.And if you think it's gonna be faster to dowmload,you're in for a huge dissapointment..Believe me the disc's are much faster.Take your time and do it in order and you'll be fine.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 7:08 pm    

Papa Joe's right about the dowloads. Some of the ones I downloaded didn't work and I had to download certain ones again.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2009 3:35 pm    

I talked with PG Music via their online service. He told me to reload 2006 as it's a full disk, even tho it says update. Then put in 2008. It worked fine, tho there are still some styles I have to add.

I asked him about having BIAB on two computers, one here and one in New York when we start spending summers there. He said as long as it was for my personal use, no problem.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2009 3:45 pm    

Yeah,I have it on two computers too..The full 2009 with all the bells and whistles on my music recording PC,Which never goes on line,and a basic load on my online PC just for getting and sending files.I burn the files to CD then move them to my music machine..That way I can catch any nasty stuff before it gets to my recording machine..

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2009 4:56 am    

You can download your BIAB to a USB external hard drive small enough to put in your shirt pocket. You just download the Basic BIAB to your computer.
You run BIAB on your computers hard drive and let your USB external drive run also.
This doesn't take up much of your computers internal hard drive because the basic BIAB is being run from your computers hard drive and Real Tracks are being run from the external hard drive. Store your creations on your computers hard drive and do not save files to your external hard drive.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 6:58 pm    

Just to pass on some of the fun I'm having, I loaded BIAB 2006 and then 2008. It works but I'm missing a whole bunch of styles and other things. They are on my saved files but not in BIAB. Because they didn't go thru the installation process, they aren't recognized by BIAB. I realized they were from BIAB 10 Mega-pak. which won't load because the disc is apparently bad, after 10 years. I had to buy another biab ver 10 Mega-pak disc. Not bad, only $5 + shipping.

This is soooo much fun.

By the way Stuart, all my tracks are on a seperate hard drive. At least I didn't lose them when the C drive quit.