The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Winnie Winston
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2009 12:54 pm    

Today is the 4th anniversary of Winnie's passing. Let's take a moment to remember Winnie and his huge contributions to steel guitar. I also ask you keep his wife, Gwyneth, in your hearts and thoughts.

Jim

Geoff Cole

Marrara N.T. Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 4:30 pm    

Thanks for the reminder Jim. I'm with you , Winnie was a wonderfull man.

Geoff Cole

Marrara N.T. Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 4:31 pm    

Thanks for the reminder Jim. I'm with you , Winnie was a wonderfull man.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 4:36 pm    

I am there as well. Winnie was a great guy.

Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 8:23 pm    

Ditto all of the above.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 12:47 am    

I agree. Winnie was not just a fine player, and the author of the book from which so many of us (including me) learned, he was a really cool guy, and a good friend.

Winnie chose not to fight his prostrate cancer but to spend his last years to traveling around the world instead, seeing as much of it as possible. Among the places he went and the things he saw were the great pyramids in Egypt. He told me that the roads there were the worst he had ever seen.

He also told me that there are no good Mexican restaurants in New Zealand, so on his second to last trip to America, I took him to one of L.A. best. As sick as he was, he seemed to really enjoy the meal.

He returned to L.A. once more after that, a couple of months before he died. We went for a short walk along the Venice canals, which he really liked. Aside from the airport personnel, I was the last person in America to see him before he died.

I miss him.

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 8:02 am    

Winnie was real sick four years ago. He came, with his doctors blessings,to the ISGC in St. Louis. He wanted to play on the show and play he did. It was the very best I ever heard him play. I guess he knew his time was about up. It was saying goodbye for the last time. He was a great guy with tons of talent and a dry sense of humor. I miss him and think of him often. He was a dear friend. Bobby

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 8:18 am     Forty Six Years Ago In The Moonlight

In the early sixties there was a Folk Festival at Indian Neck in
Connecticut at this large mansion. I "borrowed" my dad's 1963 Chevrolet Impala convertible because I had heard that a lot of top folk talent was going to be there. I pulled up to the place and the whole thing was lit with candles and a few lanterns. As I went from room to room I found Maria Muldaur, a banjo player named Paul Cadwell,parts of Jim Kweskins Jug Band. It was truly mystical. Out on the porch there were two guys duking it out with two banjos,song after song each one trying to gain an advantage. One of the protagonists was a skinny kid from New York. I asked who it was and they said oh thats just Winnie Winston....I never did find out who the other player was....might have been Keith. The memory is just as bright today as it was back then...the moonlight the ferocious sound of two Mastertones...those were the days and Winnie with a never ending roll cascading the notes and saying oh you play that too huh and one upping the ante....Peter

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 9:15 am    

Winnie was a great man and a greater friend. A true renaissance individual, he was devoted to bluegrass, steel guitar, teaching, homeopathy, industrial design... all the humanities.

Not too many folks know this, but he had a nice collection of classic firearms. Ken Bloom... an even older friend and musical colleague of mine than Perlowin, if that's possible Smile... was a musical collaborator of Winnie's and received a part of WW's collection.

What a legacy he left us! We should all be so generous with sharing what little talent the Lord has blessed each of us with.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 10:00 am    

This was the last Steel Guitar Convention Winnie did, you can see the expression on Bobby's face as he knew it was close to the end.....Rest in peace dear friend.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2009 4:34 am    

I had corresponded with Winnie from when I first got his book,
and we finally got to meet at this last ISGC.
He grabbed my hand and pulled me closer and said
"We should have met sooner and picked some bluegrass."

We had two or three nice talks during the weekend.
All memorable for the breadth of subjects and clarity of ideas.
He is missed for sure.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2009 7:24 am    

I am a big Winnie fan too. His passing was a great loss. Enjoyed his special performances at the ISGC. I saw his last performance there.

Like many of you, I was among the thousands that got their introduction to steel guitar instruction through Winnie's book.

Considered the bible of pedal steel guitar instruction for many years. Probably still is.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 3:28 am    

Add me to the list of people who began their musical journey on the steel via Winnie's book, and was quite gutted to learn of his passing. In my sea of musical ignorance about the steel-guitar, Winnie was a lighthouse.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 6:05 am    

i too am 1 of the 1000s that got into the pedal steel Thanx to Winnie
He sure did us a solid & won himself many blessings
of course it's the bible,why the good Lord still wants his endeavor to carry on

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 7:10 am    

i to got started on winnie's book and, i still have it
and teach my student's thru his book . i am sad that i never saw him play Crying or Very sad i heard he was a heck of a banjo player too...

p.w

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 12:25 pm    

Just received from Gwyneth in New Zealand:

Quote:
Hi Jim,

I took a few moments to go online and read the comments from so many. I am tearful as I read those memories, knowing that he is missed and remembered with so much affection by so many. He was a man of so many stories, and a great storyteller. I miss him and always will. These comments brought him very close. Thank you. I know that he would be so happy to be remembered this way.

Please will you post this to the list as a big thank you from me. I am deeply grateful, even for the tears I am shedding.

Also do remind folks that his final Steel Guitar music CD 'Misty Morn' is still available.

Gwyneth Evans (Winnie's beloved)

The CD, "Misty Morn" is available here at the Forum (http://steelguitarmusic.com/music.html)

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 5:12 pm    

Jim it doesn't seem that long ago that Winnie and I sat in my lounge with our steels facing each other having a bit of an exchange of ideas --- which went on until the wee small hours ! He used to come down to my neck of the woods regularly for a big folk and bluegrass festival - mostly with his banjo playing, but he always bought his steel with him.

I miss the guy a lot ! I started out with his book as well.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2009 12:28 pm    

My memories of Winnie,having known him because the ISG Convention, was his friendliness and that he had no hang-ups about any style music. It was all good to him.

Naturally I was attracted to him because of his steel guitar skills and his publications,but more and more I began to appreciate his uniqueness
as a music lover with his arrangements that included bluegrass instruments,dulcimers and anything else that took the steel guitar into new realms.

He never let his his super intelligence go to his head and he was always so down to earth. So glad to have known him.

So glad he is in the Hall of Fame. Very deserving.

Jim, thanks for the remembrance.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2009 12:32 pm    

louie hallford wrote:
So glad he is in the Hall of Fame. Very deserving.

Louie, unless you are leaking some information here, last I knew Winnie was not in the Hall of Fame. Of course he should be and hopefully will be before too long.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2009 11:14 am    

I too started out on Winnie's book and met him at a convention in Ct. back in the late 70's...what a nice guy! RIP Winnie and thank you ....

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2009 2:14 pm     Winnie Winston

Some years ago in the 1980's Winnie was traveling through New Mexico and came to my home for dinner. He was into holistic foods and my wife and I were semi-macrobiotic. We had a wonderful and very interesting evening. What a gracious man... I was so honored at his presence in my home. Truly a night to rememember.

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2009 9:21 pm    

Even though I didn't know Winnie, like so many of us,
I spent my first few years wearing out the book. His contribution goes on. I've recommended the book many times.
For those of you who knew him, is there any insight into why he chose not to have a treatment for the prostate cancer? I'm currently dealing with it myself, so it's of particular interest.
Thanks. You can respond by email if you like.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 4:07 am    

Yes Jim I remember Winnie.I went with a Freind to N.Y.to pick up a Brand new Emmons back in the mid 70s and I beleave it was from Winie Winston.Great person and Steel player.Don't we all wish we could play like him.Anna and I will keep his wife in our prayers.
EX Pres.& Founder RISGA
EX Pres.& Founder NESGA
Mamber MASGA
Member PSGA

Gary Kelley

Pine Hill New Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2009 9:01 pm     winnie winston

I met winnie when he was living philly in a refurbished fire house.a friend and myself hauled or steels up to the seconed floor and spent the evening learning and playing with one the greats. he really was a personable guy. his book was the bible for many steel guitar players. I have seen him in st. louis and in psga shows in new york and he always had time to say hi. In new york one year he played his version of desporado without the back up band,all I can say, what a moving experience.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 6:26 am    

I bought Winnie Wiston's (and Bill Keith's) book about ten years before I got my first steel. I'm still grateful that he made this big effort to release it.