The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First Post
Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2009 8:23 pm    

Hi All

As Minnie used to say, "I'm just so proud to be here."

Had the pleasure of meeting Ron Sodos a few months back and he kicked me to the doorstep here. Many thanks Ron!

I'm getting long in the tooth, still a pup at steel, and a Country, Country Rock kid at heart _ and sure want to play again.

My professionl experience with steel isn't real glamour-filled but it was a fun ride. Played in Country Rock bands for about ten years, some Opry work in Southern IL, a few studio sessions for other friends trying to make it in the biz and some ole' fashioned country music gigs in Denver on and off.

Gave up playing when a wife came along and only now can have some freedom to sorta start over.

Played lap steel from age 6, everything with strings on it from age 11, (I'm soon to be 65) and picked up steel in 1972.

I am currently looking for a steel so I'll be looking at the For Sale forum as much as possible and also have a collection of steeler's albums to offer up later as soon as I figger out how to do that properly.

Hats off to the multitude of great steelers here. Hope to get to know everything about ya'll.

Butch

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2009 8:50 pm    

Hi Butch,welcome from Alabama,happy picking. DYK?BC.

Shane Glover

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2009 8:55 pm    

Hey Butch !! Good luck finding a steel. So many and so hard to choose !!

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2009 9:24 pm    

Thank you Charles. Been doin a lot of reading here over the last month and feel at home already!

Shane. Thank you sir and you said it right about looking. Although there's a few good steelers in Denver, the only good place to buy (Don Edwards Guitar City) went away years ago so almost everything is somewhere else. Course there's new Precision's being built right up the road from me but I'd have to hock my Cadillac (if I had one) to get something new there.

I cut my teeth on a Sho-Bud S-10 and wouldn't mind another but there's been a lot of advances in technology since and I want a smoother ride with less mechanical noise too. Also want a nice fat PU cause I got tired of the thin mids on the original.

I have a lot to learn about whats new and without a store to go to, here's the next best place - I'm a thinkin'

Marc Friedland

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2009 10:44 pm    

Hi Butch,

Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum.
I recently moved from N. CA and have been living in Fort Collins for a little less than a year now.
You just missed a real good opportunity because the Rocky Mountain Steel Guitar Show was this past Saturday.
There were plenty of different kinds of guitars and amps to see and hear and many steelers to talk to. There were even some builder/dealers there, Del Mullen and Fred Justice.
I’m not sure how far it is for you, but I believe there’s a steel show in Arizona coming up real soon, and there aren’t too many other events like that where you can see, hear and learn so much in one day.

Marc

Cameron Tilbury

Peterborough, England, UK
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 1:03 am    

Hey Butch.

Sounds like my timeline. I started lap steel when I was 7, back in 68.

Moved to PSG about the same time as you and stopped playing almost 30 years ago. I then bought my Sho Bud a few months ago and am lovin' it.

Welcome back.

Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 6:23 am    

Hey Butch,

I live not far from Marc (above) -- welcome to Colorado.

You might want to contact Dick Meis at dmeis@pedalsteelguitar.net

He's the Godfather of Colorado Steel (I say that in a friendly way with a smile on my face) and has good contacts. He should be able to help you in finding a steel.

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 6:33 am    

Hi Cameron

Although there's more than a few years difference in our age the story IS much the same. I wish us both success in this endevour. It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one having to travel this road.

Mark, being a video editor and design person keeps me glued to my home office a lot more than I would like and I have missed much - the show being a good example. Truth be known, I don't know who Fred Justice is. Too bad for me that I was unaware or I could have made it.

Welcome to Fort Collins. Don't know what you do there but it's a growing city for sure. Hopefully, there's a band and gigs for you to be involved with.

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 6:37 am    

Leroy

Thanks for the info and will do. I've known 'about' Dick for years but have never met him and actually didn't know he was around these parts anymore. That's good news.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 7:02 am    

Welcome Butch..
Hook

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 7:07 am    

Hook

Thank you sir. It's nice to have a place to come and share dreams and aspirations with friendly folk.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 7:51 am    

Well hey there Butch,glad you joined up and hope you have fun playing steel guitar again.

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 7:57 am    

Hi Dick

Better your picture on the web than in the Post Office showcase. I was only frightened for a moment. It's also better that you steel FOR folks instead of...

Thanks for the welcome sir.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 8:12 am    

Hey Butch.....sure is good to have you here on the forum...hope you'll find it a place you can't stay away from....I know I do...and been here for 7 or 8 years now.....started playing steel in 1970...did the Nashville scene in the early, mid and late 70's. Hadn't been playing steel very long , but landed some pretty good gigs and studio work. My passion is still the steel guitar...hardly ever go a day without playing....and get all the weekend gigs I can......there are some great guitars to be had from forum members and manufacturers.....good luck in finding what you're after and again welcome to this wonderful forum. HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 8:34 am    

Thanks Hal

I notice you use a Tapco DI box. Do you do any at-home recording with it? If so, how does it work for you?

Reason I ask: I'll probably need one for practice for some time til I get my chops back and I also have a home studio with midi gear for composing so would want to feed myself into a DAW for doing tracks. Your input (no pun intended) would be useful and appreciated.

Regards steel choices, I don't know where to start and it all seems a little daunting but I think I can draw on the huge amout of comments here to help me with that.

Butch

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 10:21 am    

LOL...I'm surprised you got it because I couldn't get it to do anything so I deleted it.

Use it wisely Butch.

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 10:50 am    

Hey Dick

If you'll look, you'll see that the image link is a bit messed up. The address should go between the "img" and the "/img" tags.

I run a forum for video fanactics and it happens all the time there. It just takes getting used to like everything else does. (Like that sweet spot half-point on a bend up pedal move)

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 3:15 pm    

Butch.....yes, I do use it for studio work, but also I come out of the preamp out of my NV1000 and from the DI to the snake for most soundboards, when in a group atmosphere that must have the steel in the house mix, etc. I have several other DI's that work well, but found that this Tapco gives me a little more versatility on gain controls, etc. HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 4:34 pm    

Hi Butch!
Retired I hope? That's when you can really sink your teeth back into all things steel!
You have a couple of years on me but I am retired just the same and lovin it. I figured why not get back into steel. Seems like building the odd one is a great hobby for me. The playing is just so-so. It is just nice to be back in this great circle of steel people, they sure are a great bunch!
Welcome to the forum. May you spend many joyful hours here!
I hope you luck out with a great pedal steel. May you find one that fits like a glove.

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 5:49 pm    

Hi Bent

Thank ye for bein' nice about retirement and yes it's time to get back in the saddle.

I visited your links and see you build them. Great looking PSG's sir.

Matter of fact the pictures brought back to mind the first PS I ever got to sit behind. I was living in Pontiac MI and was out in my back yard on a day off from the car factory. I saw an ole boy a few yards away spraying primer coats on a curly maple SB look-alike hanging on a clothes line. I got interested right away and hopped some fences to get there.

His name was Lee Ferree from AZ (I think) and he showed me around his basement shop and let me mess around with one of his finished guitars. I knew nothing about pedals but always kept my lap steel bits stuck in the brain so he started showing me what pedals could do. I knew that I wouldn't rest til I had one of my own.

That was 1967 and it took 10 years to make that happen but it did. Now it's time to do it again and getting over the initial expense hurdle is the next step but after that it's "Katie Bar The Door"

Just got done with 2 hours of YouTube PS videos and it's awesome to see the greats do their thing. I'm a Sneaky Pete - John David Call type of picker but Doug Jernigan is a long-time favorite and a kick to watch. He doesn't use his RH 2nd finger all that much that I could notice but does nutz stuff with his first and third.

Here's a link to a new guy to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZoPTJNmiCw&NR=1 I think maybe the board prolly knows him but I have missed much in the years in between. His name is Tommy White and he's pretty awesome.

Butch Golden

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 7:35 pm    

Moderator, if this post is in the wrong forum please kick it out or move it as you please. Thank You!

Here are some of my first thoughts for a SG shopping list.

1. I got BIG feet (15 D's) so I need the spacing twixt the pedals like the old ShoBuds had. (Guess I gotta buy a new pair of pointed-toe boots too)

2. I haven't shrunk much yet (6'2.5) and my knees are tall. I do okay without extensions but have to tilt up the backside a little.

3. I had a Don Edwards Light Beam and of course they are almost nonexistent now but I understand there's other light beam types around that do better and think I want to go that route.

4. I dislike thin midrange and want something a bit fatter sounding. New pickup names and information would help a lot.

I know there are tweaked Emmons and ShoBuds around that offer some great fixes for old hang-ups but don't know names or what those do.

E9th Universal is fine with me til I get back in shape. Hope to add C6th back into my sound one of these days but it's very dependent on total cost. Maybe just a Single 10 if a double is too dear.

Last, I need dollar ranges. Even just an outside the ballpark mark to set my sights on would be great.

Thanks for any info that will help me get things rolling. I want to shop armed with some up-to-date-intelligence.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 11:56 pm     Re: First Post

Played lap steel from age 6, everything with strings on it from age 11, (I'm soon to be 65) and picked up steel in 1972.

I am currently looking for a steel

Butch[/quote] Hi Butch.Take it from a 70 year-old with a wide body Sierra U-12 (Boat Anchor!) When you choose your new PSG, at least consider weight, in the equation! That steel guitar, will get heavier quickly, as the years go by! Good luck Smile -Jake-