The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lost my step dad this morning....
Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:42 am    

My step dad, Roger Horton from Waterloo Iowa, died this morning after suffering a heart attack on the 22nd. He had remained on life support until the family had to make a difficult decision to take him off. Thanks for everyones prayers and words of encouragement. Many of you may also know my brother, Terry Stoner who plays the steel in Northeast Iowa...
Michael Douchette's Franklin; Sho~Bud Fingertip D12; Sho Bud S10 6139 Serial #2911;1973 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface; Fender Cyber Twin; VZ Custom Telecaster; Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst; Epi DOT; Copley Acoustic; Copley Acoustic Bass; Hammond E311 Organ; 1941 Chickering Baby Grand Piano, formerly owned by John Prine; 1921 Chickering Baby Grand 100th Anniv Quarter Grand

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:56 am    

Sincere condolences to you and the family Jamie

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 8:56 am    

Very sorry for your loss..

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 1:08 pm    

Jamie, I am very sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing with my mother, over six years ago. The hardest thing I have ever done was to tell her, she didn't have to fight anymore. And that if she wanted to be with daddy, it was ok. She was in a coma and was not responding. To this day I question my self if, I have had made the right choice. My wife told me I did. And looking back, i know I did. The doctor told me the morning before she died, that if she could come back, she would never be the same again. I don't know how close you and step-father were. I hope you were, because after time, you will have some good memories. I know, I have them about my parents all of the time.
May God comfort you and your family at this time
Tommy Shown

Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 1:15 pm    

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was quite close to him. He and mom were together for the past 20 years, and I was closer to Roger than to my real father. He was retired from John Deere in Waterloo, and was able to fix anything that ever broke! He definitely helped me out of a lot of problems...and was always the one I went to when I needed help. He was there for my mom and took care of her right up to the end while she was going through her cancer which lasted close to two years, and she died on June 22, 2007. Rogers heart attack struck him on Tuesday June 22 at around 9 am, which was strangely around the same time we lost mom. Its wierd how the Lord works sometimes.... I deal with death on nearly a daily basis at the funeral home, but it is never easy when it is someone you love.
Michael Douchette's Franklin; Sho~Bud Fingertip D12; Sho Bud S10 6139 Serial #2911;1973 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface; Fender Cyber Twin; VZ Custom Telecaster; Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst; Epi DOT; Copley Acoustic; Copley Acoustic Bass; Hammond E311 Organ; 1941 Chickering Baby Grand Piano, formerly owned by John Prine; 1921 Chickering Baby Grand 100th Anniv Quarter Grand

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 1:43 pm    

Jamie, sorry to hear of your loss. Our condolences to you and the family.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 4:43 pm    

Jamie you are more than welcome, Yesterday,the 25th would have been my parents 57th wedding anniversary. If they were still here. but I know they celebrated it in heaven. And my dad was the same way. One of the funniest things I remember was shen the time he replaced a pot that had gone out in my volume pedal. When he re-wired it, he did it backwards. Every time I would ease back on it, the volume got louder instead of softer. I remember him calling me at place after I got home with it. He asked me if it was working ok? And I told what was going on with it. He told me to bring it back, and he would fix it.
I have a step-son too,and a step-daughter by my current wife and we get along great, it wasn't that way at first. But they realize how much I love their mother and them.That they say I am more like a father to them.
I also have daughter by a previous marriage. She gets along great with me now too.
That's really great you close to him. Because you can remember all the good times that the two of you shared.
Tommy Shown

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 1:52 am    

Jamie,
Please accept my condolences for your loss. It sounds like Mr. Horton was a special man.

May God bless you and comfort you at this time and always . . .

Donna Dodd
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 5:48 am    

My condolences to you JAMIE and to your family and friends may he rest in peace my friend.

K.J. Tucker

Texas
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 7:19 am     Prayers for you at this time of loss

Prayers sent to you & yours in your time of loss.

Tuck & Kay

If you can read this Thank a Teacher , If it is in English Thank a Soldier !

Luck is preparation meets opportunity............ My Grandmother

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 9:04 am    

Sorry for your loss Jamie. Trust in JESUS. HE will see you through this sad time Jody.

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 9:11 am    

It's never an easy thing to deal with. Our biggest consolation is knowing they lived a good life, and are now with their heavenly Father.

God bless.

Rob

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.