The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB Intonation Off !
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 7:49 pm    

Usually I have no problem tuning my guitar to a tuner (set to A=440) and then playing along with BIAB tracks. But yesterday I found that the track was WAAY FLAT. I had to find the setting in the GM menu called "Master Tuning" and reset that from zero to (get this): 2432 to get it in tune.

Now today, I find that I have to re-set it back to zero to be in tune -- but only for some songs! Now this is not, as far as I can see, a per-song setting, since it appears to be a setting of the sound card and the setting remains when I change songs.

So, WTF??

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 8:22 pm    

That can be dependent on which sound card, which OS and current drivers.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2009 2:08 am    

BIAB audio is generated from MIDI. If the reference is off, the PC's "clock" (frequency, not time) or the MIDI Synth is probably the culprit. The PC's audio is only converting whatever digital is sent to it, to Analog audio.

If other audio sources, e.g. wav or MP3 files or audio CD's are OK then it's not the PC's audio sound card (or integrated audio module) that is causing the problem.

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 6:08 am    

Could be different issues depending on:

1. MIDI tracks only

2. Audio (Real Tracks) only

3. Combination of MIDI and Audio

4. If MIDI only - each "instrument" is tuned to a pitch - in otherwords, a tuba will be tuned to the octive range of a tuba while a stringed instrument will be tuned to the octive range of strings. These can get whacked to the point that a tuba sort of sounds like a piccallo (not really). If the "way low" tuning is a true octave (or multiple of the octave) it is most likely that you have one or more instruments assigned in the songs that are out of "tune" because of an incorrect octave setting for that type instrument.

If it is not an octive issue, each instrucment can be set to + or - cents off tune. This actually can be used to "sweeten up the tracks" but only if you use a few cents of change. You do not say what you are using to generate MIDI tones with - if you need help on that let me now what you are using.

Also, you can change the key of the song's chord structure that shows in the chord sheet while the
"Audio" tracks don't change (I think this is correct, I'll double check?) If so, the chord sheet may show a song in C but the Audio track is still in the original key.

I guess the best way to check is to take one of the DEMO songs that come with BIAB and use that key to tune the PSG too. Then, if one of the other songs is "out of tune", you have an issue with that particular song.

Let me know what you find as I have not seen this before.

Blessings, Bo Baker

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2009 6:38 am    

Replace the CMOS battery if the system clock is drifting. The CMOS is the chip that contains the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) computer startup instructions. If you need instructions, perform a Google search for "how to replace cmos battery."

If you do replace the battery, get it done quickly, to avoid losing your CMOS/BIOS settings. You have about 30 to 60 seconds of stored power in the chip with the battery removed. I'd keep it to 15 seconds for safety sake. If you have a digital camera you can open your BIOS and photograph each page of settings, just in case they are lost during the swap process.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 7:18 pm    

If you have a digital camera you can open your BIOS and photograph each page of settings, just in case they are lost during the swap process.

Wiz
The camera thing is a good idea. Every time I prowl around this site I learn something new.........

Thanks
Joe[/quote]