The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Dry passed away
Larry Henson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2009 3:13 pm    

Fiddle player Jimmy Dry passed away this morning. Many of the Houston area and some Nashville musicians will remember him. He worked in the 70's for several years with Jack Green and Jeannie Sealey. He lived in Gilmer, Texas the last few years. I don't have any information about the funeral arrangments yet.

Larry

Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2009 5:36 pm     Pap-Paw !

Jimmy was a great talent, great singer, great fiddle player, and a great friend.
Our condolences to the family.
I had the pleasure of working with Jimmy while with Jack Greene & Jeannie Seely. Jimmy was a good man and truly one of the "Jolly Giants" of our music world.
Rest in Peace,My friend.
Ron & Leslie Elliott

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2009 5:54 pm    

I worked on a show with Jimmy in Tyler,Tx. about 1950 or 51. Also did a gig or two with him when he moved back from Nashville. Saw him play in the Texas Throwdown Band many times after that With Bobby Bowman and Doug Boggs. A great musician and a super person. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always. Jody.

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2009 8:40 pm    

My prayers and condolences for Jimmy's family, and friends. He was a talented musician, and a good person to be acquainted with.
Sad to lose these people.But our Great Protector knows what His plan is .
Peace to all of the family of friends.
RP...'come on in '...

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2009 8:51 pm     Jimmy Dry

My prayers and condolences for Jimmy's family.He was a great musician and a nice guy.I knew him from when he was working with the Jack Greene show.and when i was working the Western Room in Dallas. Rudy
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Larry Henson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 7:10 am    

Funeral services for Jimmy will be Thursday, June 11, at 2:00 P.M. at Croley Funeral Home in Gilmer, Texas.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Henson on 10 Jun 2009 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 8:30 am    

The Croley Funeral Home is located at 305 Harrison St. Gilmer,Tx. Harrison St. is just before you get to the town square coming north on SHWY 271. There will be a Chevron Store and a furniture store where you turn left off SHWY 271 on to Harrison. Phone :903 843 2555. Hope this helps. Jody.

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2009 9:25 am    

I remember seeing Jimmy with Jack Green's Jolly Giants. What a band they were. Such great talent. I guess there will never be another time in country music as good as those. Such great talent playing great music. They also looked good on stage with matching outfits. Can you imagine? I never got to meet Jimmy but I wish I had. For me talent like that will always be missed. My favorite country album is "Jack Green and Jeannie Seely Live at the Grand Ole Opry". Get a copy and see what I mean. BTW Ron Elliott is all over it. Great stuff. Well rest in peace Jimmy . Bobby

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2009 12:06 pm    

I got to play a couple of times with Jimmy - super guy and great talent. I will miss him. jc

Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 3:55 am     Jimmy at ETSGA

Jimmy was personal friend to me. He came several times to play for us at ETSGA in Tyler. We played together a couple of time at the Mt. Pleasant Opry. It was always a pleasure to see and hear him play. I talked to him just a couple days before he died and he sounded very weak and troubled. Previous commitment with Dr. kept me from his funeral.

He will surely be missed as those of us still here await our calling to join him again. My sincere condolences to his family. He is now in the presence of his wife who passed away a short time ago.

Rest in peace friend.

David Thornhill

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 7:34 am     jimmy

Jimmy and I never played together but we fished alot.One cold winter night on Center Hill lake Jimmy and I hadn't caught a fish, when we saw a boat in the back of a cove. Jimmy said that it looked like Porter Wagoner. Jimmy hollowed, is that you Porter? And Porter responded, is that you Jimmy? Porter had a stringer of Bass. We had a good visit that night. I will miss my good friend. Dave Thornhill

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 9:37 am    

Bobby Bowman and I attended his funeral yesterday. Jody.