The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How D'Ya Do Chord Chart
Karel van Bezooijen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 31 May 2009 4:26 am    

I sometimes tune down the A6th on my new 8 string Frying pan (by dutch builder J.van der Donck, fabulous guitar)) to B11.
I got Sand down pretty well, thanks to a Tab done by Basilh I found on the HSGA forum, and am currently figuring out the other B11 classic, How D'ya Do.
Wondered if anyone got the Chord chart to How D'ya Do, in the Jerry Byrd/Billy hew Len version(Posted some time back ON YT by me)

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 May 2009 6:11 am    

Karel; this is Carroll. I know alot of us have the Byrd argmt however I believe it would be improper to send it out as Scotty has the rights to it I believe in Jerrys course. cc

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2009 12:06 pm    

Hi Karel. Check your email.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 May 2009 1:06 pm    

Isn't "How D'ya Do" an Andy Iona song, dating back to the 1930s? If so, wouldn't in be in the public domain?

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 31 May 2009 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 31 May 2009 1:13 pm    

I believe it might be a public domain, (although I'm a little rusty on the time frame for PD music), but maybe he means the Jerry Byrd arrangement is copyrighted?

Karel van Bezooijen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 12:43 am    

Thanks everybody for responses/remarks.
Maybe "Chord Chart" wasn't the right term, and "Chords"
would have been better !!
Didn't ask for a complete arrangement, just the chords.
Andy told me he will take care of that. As I mentioned to him, B11th can be a a bit confusing at times for me, being a long time A6th player.
By the way: Doug, loved the versions you posted of Sand and How D'Ya Do!!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 7:14 am    

Thanks Karel, below is a chord chart for How D'ya Do. B11 is perfect for this tune because the song has so many 7th chords. B11 has full 7th and 9th chords on the middle strings.

Tab:

HOW D'YA DO

intro

A   A   F7   E7
---------------

E7   E7   E7   E7
A    A    A    A
E7   E7   E7   E7
A    A#   A    A

A7   A7   A7   A7
D7   D7   D7   D7
E7   E7   E7   E7
A    A#   A    A

last line, last time:

A   D9   A    G7 G#7 A

Quote:
B11th can be a a bit confusing at times for me, being a long time A6th player.

Here’s some B11 info from one of my other posts:

Here's how I see B11. It's a combination tuning. Part of it is A6 and the other part is B7, B9, B11.

Strings 1 through 4 are an A6 chord.

The middle strings (omit string 1) are B9 (and B, B7, B11).

Fret 2 is B6, and Open is B9. Whatever 6th chord you are playing, just drop back two frets for the 7th or 9th chord. For example, A6 on fret 12 (strings 1 through 4), drop back to fret 10 and play the middle strings (omit string 1) for A9. That big 9th chord is the basis of songs like "How D'ya Do" and "Sand".

Check out my tab below to see one way to play a I, IV, V pattern on B11.

The chart below shows some of the open chord positions, with root note A, root note F#, and root note B. There are other open chords that I left off the chart... a diminshed chord on strings 3, 4, 5. Also Am6, flat 5, Aadd2, etc.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 7:49 pm    

C.C., I wasn't aware that a chord chart could be copyright ?
What next, Bass lines ?
mine Rolling Eyes

Last edited by basilh on 18 Jul 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 9:34 pm    

Basil, I like your rendition of How D'ya Do. What a sweet sound!

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 11:30 pm    

Ditto, what Doug said about the Basil rendition of How D'Ya Do.

But what about those exquisite harmonics! Cool Wow!! Cool Cool

Good job, Basil.

Aloha, Smile
Don

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 2:06 am    

Gracias tanto mis amigos.

I have to brush up on my Spanish as I'm off to Tenerife for our annual Golf Classic and fund raising week..

A few pics from last year:-

BTW the ugly looking buggah is Daniel O'Donnell, the UK's first country/easy listening artist to breach the 10 Million plus sales. A good friend of both myself and Brolly.
(I produced his first record and played on MANY of his subsequent albums/singles)

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 2:18 am    

Baz, I wasn't aware of it either until about four yrs ago and it abruptly bought to my attention, hired a lawyer, came out ok, learned a lesson. cc

Karel van Bezooijen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 9:50 am    

Thanks again everybody for all reactions,
be it on the forum or by E-mail
Doug: already bookmarked the B11 post but thanks for bringing it to our attention once more.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 1:15 pm    

Daniel O'Donnell is something of a fixture here on Public Broadcasting stations during the frequent "pledge drives", where he sings and makes some appeals to donate to this worthy cause. He is very polished and professional.

Basil, I really think you are living link to a sort of playing that I associate with late 50's early 60's Hawaii calls. It's like you've been transported to our time. Not that you are a Jules or Barney clone, far from it . . . more like "on par" with them with your seemingly effortless lush and romantic style. I never fail to be carried away to that imaginary Tapa Room in my mind when I hear you, and oh how I wish could hear Alfred Apaka singing to your playing.

Al Salmon

Kallangur, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2009 5:04 pm    

I tell you all, after hearing Basil's rendition, I need no further excuse to get a D8....Brilliant stuff! Thanks Basil. Surprised

Josh Cho

New York, NY (orig. Honolulu, HI)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 2:45 am    

Basil,

Epic harmonics! WOW Whoa!

That is truly inspiring! THANK U so much for sharing that!!!!

Josh

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 3:19 am    

Wow...

What a beautiful rendition.

Thanks, Basil.

Karl Fehrenbach

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 1:13 pm    

All this great info and freely shared knowledge- why I love this forum.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 8:43 am     Re: How D'Ya Do Chord Chart

Karel van Bezooijen wrote:

Wondered if anyone got the Chord chart to How D'ya Do, in the Jerry Byrd/Billy hew Len version(Posted some time back ON YT by me)

The Jerry Byrd version is far removed from the original, and it's probably only popular because the tab is so readily available.
Wrong in two respects, the totally unconnected intro (Actually and adaptation of the Andy Iona intro to "Getting Sentimental Over You" ... and also the misspelling of the COPYRIGHTED title.

In spelling it the way one would assume it's meant to be, the royalties will actually go to whomsoever recorded a version with that misspelled title. NOTHING will go to the original writers writers (Andrew Iona Long/Lew Pollock) SHAME on those concerned for that bit of devious copyright manoeuvring.

It's one of the classics from the 30’s that endured and became synonymous with Hawaiian Steel Guitars, and is the subject of the tablature in this June's issue of Aloha Dream .
The definitive version being the Jules Keliikuihonua Ah See version featured on so many broadcasts and also on the Capitol album “Waikîkî ” T772.
THIS one.

Recorded originally by Andy Iona and his Orchestra:
Song Title: How'd Ya Do
Performer: Andy Iona and his Orchestra
Record Company: Columbia
Label Number: 35846 (Alb C-39 7/8)
Country/City: United States / New York, NY
Publication Date: 1940-06-06
Matrix Number: LA 2243-A

NOTE: The correct title (Above), oft now misspelled as ‘How D’Ya Do’. (Deliberately ?)
The above version was an instrumental, later recordings
featured lyrics.

All in all 'tis a Fine "How D'Ya Do" methinks..

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Last edited by basilh on 21 Jul 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 2:02 pm    

That is interesting Basil. I would take "How D'ya do" as introductory salutation.
"How'd ya do" seems to be a contraction of How did you do? Like what you would ask a friend the morning after a hot date. Laughing

Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2013 8:11 am    

Thank you Basil, for this, and all the other tabs, info and music ( especially the Tapa Room tapes)that you have shared with all of us. I agree that Jerry Byrd's intro on the recordings I've heard of How'd Ya Do is somewhat unrelated to the song, the odd thing is, that the arrangement he put in his teaching book has an intro quite similar to the tab you posted. He has a little 4 note chromatic walk up then up to the 12th fret where he stays instead of going to the open string A chord then to the F9 and E9 then on to the melody. Thanks to you I have become a big fan of Jules Ah See. His playing is so tight and at the same time loose. He always sounds like he was having a good time.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2013 9:22 am    

Yes David the title SEEMS to be incorrect, BUT that's what's on the original record label and on the original copyright composers details..

Paul, it always seemed to me that Jules was a consummate musician and was really enjoyed playing with the Hawaii Calls group. His jazz feel and his improvisations leave me with no doubt that he was not just a steel player but had a sound knowledge of musical theory. (Something sadly lacking in the "Fly by Wire" and "Tab orientated" present crop..)
He invented his licks, and any ones that he copied, he improved upon the source somewhat. Which in my opinion is the way to go..

It is no coincidence that two of the best solos by Jules were originally Andy Iona tunes. He DID improve on the original composer's version in a non derogatory sense. He just smoothed out the wrinkles of the late thirties interpretive style, and also improved on the general structure technically.
It is VERY difficult to take an original composer's tune/song and improve it, Jules did without question treat the original with respect.

With regard to the origins of the JB intro, it would seem to be heavily influenced by the intro and other sections of THIS

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2013 1:34 am    

I wonder how many have read this post and digested it ?
Seems to me most forum members just give previous comments in a post (Thread) a cursory glance after reading the OP ?

Idea

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2013 6:38 pm    

For convenient reference, here is a video posted with Iona's version next to Byrd's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pm5I1Hi4o

I must confess that JB's version had been the definitive one for me. It's on a comp with Hui Ohana that I listen to quite a bit. But now I see the liberties he took with the original arrangement.

And since we are talking about this tune, here is Billy Hew Len's live version posted as "How'd Ya Do".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IrSq1rOoL4

Unfortunately, the voice over obscures his intro. He omits the chimes parts, perhaps because it is played here as part of a medley (or because of physical limitation?). In any event, I find BHL's version more faithful to the 30's spirit of Andy Iona--while adding his own inimitable style. I think it should be part of the canon as well...

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 1:59 am    

So right Scott, Billy's version is very much in the slot of the original composer's intent. He omits the harmonics probably because of his left hand, this would present difficulty with the open string harmonic section, not having a 'pinkie' to stop the open strings at frets 12, 7 and 5..

Jules Keliikuihonua Ah See's version was recorded as a single, from a session for Capitol records on July 17th and 18th 1954.
F 2908

Although the label states "Ben Kalama's Islanders", it's basically the Hawaii Calls ensemble.

The other tracks on that session were:-
12861 My Island
12862 Love Song of Kalua
12863 Lovely hula hands
12864 Across the sea
12865 How'd ya do
12866 Kamalani o Keaukaha (inissued)

NOTE the spelling on the single is the same as Andy Iona's, BUT the Capitol “Waikîkî ” T772 uses the "How D'ya Do" spelling on the sleeve BUT the correct spelling on the record label ?

Conjecture about the intended meaning of the title would be alleviated if SOMEONE could post a picture of the sheet music with words..Until then we can speculate as to is it a contraction of How DID ya do, How WOULD ya do, or just poetic licence ?