The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Latest six string score..........I love it! (Ibanez)
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 8:19 am    

I stopped by the local Guitar Center a couple of days ago and found this prize on the wall for only $399...... I've been looking for another Ibanez Artist for a good while now as I love 'em, this one is a 1982 vintage. I had a black one at one point but gave it away to an aspiring rock guitarist friend of mine who was in love with it........

I've set the action very low on this baby and with the ebony fretboard it's a dream to play. The finish is very nice! It's a pearl like faded yellow with gold binding and hardware.

I'll be doing a wiring change in a few days for some added sounds. I'm taking it to the gig tonight as my only six stringer. Anyone else ever had an Ibanez Artist?.....JH in Va.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 11:01 am    

I think that's a great deal for an early-80's Ibanez Artist. Very fine guitars, I've had a couple over the years - both a solid-body like this and a ES-335 type semi-hollow Artist similar to what John Scofield plays, but made in 80 or 81 before he started endorsing them. The necks were great, and they sounded excellent.

The pickups on mine sounded good, but were pretty overwound, as compared to an old PAF. But they still sounded good - I thought about changing them, but didn't wind up doing it. Still wound up trading them away. But that semi-hollow was the best "335" I ever had.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 2:12 pm    

Those and the "Musician" series were killer guitars - the Artists were like a great Gibson back when Gibson wasn't (great Laughing) and the Musicians were a poor man's Alembic, only more normal. There are some great basses from them, too.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 8:16 pm    

Cool guitar. I have an Ibanez just like it in black. Picked it up at a garage sale for forty bucks with a hardshell case. It wasn't cosmetically perfect, so I didn't feel bad about mounting a Roland GK2 pickup below the bridge pickup to make it my MIDI guitar. Mine has the Ibanez super 70 pickups, which I like very much.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 4:09 am    

I just took it to the gig last night and used it for about 60% of the songs. I'd have used it for the whole night but I missed my B-bender on some things. Here's a shot of the other Ibanez guitars I have........JH in Va.

Cleat Wooley

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:33 am    

The third Ibanez ,I [ cleat wooley]. us't to own one. I played every Wed. Night as J. Swaggerts Minstrys. Also in the single Ministry. And some Sunday morning there . They even use it on there college Mag. On my web site go to cleatwooley.com go 1st. or 2nd. page I belive the picure is there if not will be. GREAT GUITAR.!!!! Very Happy cleatwooley.com

Cleat Wooley

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:46 am    

Thats, HOME Page ,2nd. Page. cleatwooley.com correction . AT J. Swaggers Mins. Trying to adjust to new glasses !@?. Rolling Eyes

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 6:49 pm    

Hey Jerry,Nice score...I notice that on your Jr. you have a little B bender that looks the kind my friend Richard Bowden used to make,What kind is that?Stu Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 7:35 am    

Hey Stu, the mechanism for the B-Bender is mounted on the back of the guitar and is strap actuated just like a Parsons/White. It's made by Paul McEwen in Conneticutt. I think it's called a "Slingshot" bender or something like that. It works very well and with the P-90 it's a lethal combination for country playing. Here's a couple of closer shots of it!

..........JH in Va.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2009 9:37 pm    

I got an Artist like that in sunburst for $50 at a yard sale some years ago, a very fine guitar. Most of The Ibanzes from that era I've played are stellar guitars. Wish I still had it!

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 11:33 am    

Very very nice guitars.. I had an 82 Ibanez Artist AM205 for some time. It was a really nice guitar.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 2:49 pm    

I had one of the deluxe models with the tree of life inlay on the fretboard. Heck of a good guitar!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 4:29 pm    

Nice looking guitar, Jerry - where are you going to put it???

Very Happy

best to both of you...

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 4:11 am    

Good question Roger, I don't have any closet space left for guitars so I'll probably put this one on a stand and leave it out as it's so purty, I know Kay'll love that!.........JH in Va.