The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Maryland Country Musicians
Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2008 2:56 pm    

Brian,

I played the Triple Nickle several times with the Country Ramblers in the mid 70's. I was much younger back then. I enjoyed watching the prostitutes doing their job and upsetting many of the wives in the band. It's always best to leave 'em home :-) ... the wives that is.

For all you pickers that bring your wife or girfriend(s) ... I'm just kidding. I sure don't want to start a feud more then what goes on at the band table right now. :-)

Tommy Wayne

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2008 3:00 pm     triple nickel

Same place our singer got shot in the knee....By the owner!

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2008 4:07 pm    

Tommy Wayne! What a treat to hear from you! Who got shot? Herman North or Ron? :-) How's that Hank Sr. Show in CA goin? Did you ever locate an 8 string lap?

Tommy Wayne

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2008 9:26 pm     triple nickel

Hellooo Jeff! Great to hear from ya. The answer to these and other ?'s in an email. We're bringin' back the good ole days now! Tommy Wayne

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 5:35 pm    

Tommy, if you want to get together sometime, I'm game. I'd rather do a basement jam or casual get together, though. I'm not much into "working" at this stuff anymore! Wink

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 6:43 am    

Hey Donny, count me in too? And how about leaving some room for Jeff, his ShoBud kicks..... Very Happy

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 4:53 pm    

Gary, it may be worth coming just to meet Donny. I've heard through the grapevine that he's one hell of a picker. Besides, you guys would have a good laugh hearing me play :-) I know where I fit in the food chain... way below you and Donny and Curry and Buddy G. and the list goes on. Heck, I'd be happy to listen but someone has to be the guy that walks away feeling like selling all his equipment after the show <g>.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 6:44 pm    

Jeff, apparently...you've been listening to the wrong grapevine! Shocked

'Round heah, Gary Lee and Curry are the "big dogs". I's jus' a ol' barroom hacker. Cool

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 7:05 pm    

Donny,

Stan Howard is the guy that speaks so highly of you. I've only played a few gigs with him recently in between his heart problems. He talks about the old days with Frank Turner. Back in those days (mid 1970's) I was doing regional gigs with the Paradise Pickers, and the other side of the city were doing house gigs (Stables, Pops Tavern)... where their amp was "screwed to the wall" as Stan put it. Its been many years since I've seen Bobby Gotze, Spider Web, Chick Hall and that fabulous crew. With all this said... where did you fit into that mix? Your name does ring a bell, but I just cannot remember what circuit you were doing back in those days.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 11:32 pm    

Jeff, some time last year, Donny came to Paul's for an afternoon jam. We picked for about 5 hours straight, excluding time to pop a top and make a contribution to the WSSC. Donny handed our musical a$$ on a platter, he played that well. So, you chat with Donny, and let me know what weekend you guys want to come over. Heck, how about your pad?
gary L

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 4:28 am    

Gary, I guess I owe you a bottle of that "Chapeau Nerf Du Pappy" for those kind remarks! Smile (Actually, I think everyone was playing quite well that day.)

For those of you who don't know, both Gary and Curry are former students of Buddy Charleton, and both of them possess some pretty impressive chops.

Jeff, as Stan said, I was pretty much a fixture on the south side of town, playing first with Joe Straker, then doing some road work with Ernie Cash, then on to the Roane Bros., Frank Turner, Stan, and finally...many years with Dave Nicely. Now, I just do fill-in gigs or a session once in awhile. Back in the day, we worked so much we rarely got a chance to see other bands, except at the occasional jamboree. Yes, I've been fortunate enough to play with some pretty fantastic guitar men like Bobby, Chick, and Spider, all of whom I've stolen various and sundry licks from! Wink

Once or twice a year, a lot of us get together at Frank's Farm in Virginia for a picnic and reunion, and many of the old Baltimore crew are in attendance. You should join us sometime!

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 4:51 am    

Donny, thank you for most generous offer, but I would like the honor of providing our next bev Dejour. You may do the pouring.....

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 9:52 am    

I forgot about Bob Moore shooting a band member at the Triple Nickle.. I heard about from a drummer from Frederick, John Wroten. I was playing there, I guess it was in the late 70's and 80's. I missed the Circle K days but live near there now.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 3:25 pm    

Gary, I say, that is quite good sized bottle, and will do nicely to quench my thirst!

(But be sure to also bring along some for yourself and the other guys, too! Cool )

Wayne Wallett

Shermans Dale, PA USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2008 9:46 am     Steel Guitar Benefit 9/20/08

Hello Tommy,
Was good seeing you again, been a long time. Enjoyed your playing as always, good job. I also enjoyed seeing a lot of other pickers I hadn't seen in years.
Regards,
Wayne

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2008 5:08 pm     Re: Steel Benefit 9-20-08

Thanks Wayne, Yes, it was nice to see and hear you play also. I spoke with Gordie on the phone wednesday night. I suggested that he should do another one in maybe March. If he does, I'll be there
Tommy

John Cisco

Alexandria Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 3:51 pm     Hey Tommy

he-he.....It only took 8 months to start getting some replies........count me in on bass....I'm fast and good.......unlike me playing steel where I am slow and bad.

*Small change can often be found under seat cushions in taxicabs*

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2008 1:11 pm    

BUMP TTT

Ron McNuss

Manassas, VA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 2:18 pm     Maryland Playahs - Open to NVA, too? :-)

Hello all...

Hope you don't mind a hack in Virginia chiming in...?? Surprised ...at the very least, it'll bump this fine topic up a bit...

I'm finally back playing again after a long hiatus. Hard to believe that I found a band that would put up with my pathetic excuse for playing, but I guess I got lucky again!

I heard Gary Lee years ago playing with Jay Henley, and he flat-out TORE IT UP!!! Incredible player! And, I imagine like fine wine, he has only gotten better...

Happy New Year!! *hic*
(Gee, ya think I like Emmons?!??!)
'60s Fender 400 S-8 (4P/1K)
Peavey Nashville 400
Peavey TubeFex

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 3:19 pm     baltiimore players

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 5:46 am    

Is BoB G moving to Baltimore?

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 6:07 am    

Did this jam ever happen? I would love to sit in with y'all.
I was in B'more not too long ago playing at the Catina.. great crowd.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 6:29 am    

Bo, I played there with the Jay Henley Band a while back. I recall during break time, their DJ blasted music so loud, I could feel bass vibrations from head to toe. The dance floor was saturated with 900 pounds of dancing dust, I had to use a gallon of Head and Shoulders to get back to normal, and that was just for my steel.haha Are things still the same there as I've described? I don't miss that joint at all....
I'm not too far from Baltimore, wanna attend a small in house jam, about 4-5 of us picken with BIAB tracks?

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 7:37 am    

Gary, the place is the same.. you have to cover your steel between sets... the bull on the wall is a smoke machine and the residue covers everything on the stage. Our poor drummer got the worst of it.
On the bright side, the women there were awesome.
I'd love to come down and pick with y'all ... I might even learn something.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 8:07 am    

Bo Borland wrote:
On the bright side, the women there were awesome.

Indeed, wifey use to make an honorable mention, reminding me....., as I headed out to that gig Laughing
I'll let ya know when we have our next jam.