The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for a teacher
Brian Calvert

Tinley Park, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 3:12 pm    

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am not sure where to post this so I am going to give this a shot. I am looking for help in the southside Chicago area. I have gotten some tips from a couple of really nice steelers on the forum. I would love to be able to sit down with someone to get some ideas. maybe even suggestions for any books or videos to look at. I am not a beginner but I feel I am standing still. Thanks

Brian

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 8:23 am    

Brian,

New England is chockful of instructions. Don't be a stranger!

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 11 Jan 2009 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 9:40 am    

Bill, rather than relocate Brian to New England, dont you think it might be more convenient if we try and help him find a teacher where he lives and works and maybe has family and a home already? Rolling Eyes

Brian, go to the memberlist section of the forum and sort by location. that will show you the steelers i your area. search for a few of their posts and you can very quickly ascertain their skill/knowledge level, send a few pms inquiring about lessons or recommendations for a teacher.

Or maybe one of our chicago area members will chime in and offer their services, that would be best.

Theres also this:
http://www.onlinesteelers.com/
I found a teacher thru that site. He has since passed on, a very good man, good teacher, may he rest in peace.

I bug the local steelers for lessons too, go to their shows and just pester em. eventually they give in and give me a lesson Razz
Everyone has something differnt to show me . awesome.
It would be awesome if i got good enough to do the same for someone else some day.

best of luck Brian.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 11:22 am    

Brian,

Have you noticed of late there are numerous players on You Tube who are teaching step by step how to play the steel properly? They are wonderful people who are directing their instructions to those of us who wish to advance musically. Jerry Byrd moved to Hawaii years ago, on a suggestion from Faron Young. I would much rather he remained here to share his "Touch And Tone" with steel aficionados at closer range. Generosity has become rampant in the business of teaching. Many friends have brought instructional material that has been learned and no longer needed. Attending steel shows will present opportunities to meet other players who are very helpful. Two items of interest that enter into the progress of gaining friends, are shared interests in similar types of music, and working in agreement. These can be the most disrupting, in the presence of dissimilar interests. My personal interests are with harmonies and country music. Depending on a variation of musical preferences, success is more pronounced when a friend has accumulated knowledge in a common interest.

Brian Calvert

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 12:21 pm    

Bill and Ben, thank you both for the tips and the responses. i was feeling a bit left out for a while.
Bill, as much as I would love to head out to New England, I think my wife, boys and my job, (in that order) might have something to say about that. I am a teacher though and do have some time during the summer. We have benn considering the New England area for a road trip. I don't think my wife would mind a day of music and me hauling my steel along. thanks for the invite. Would'nt happen to be a Thoureau or Emerson fan would you?

Ben thank you too for the tip. I feel like like I am bothering everyone but I guess this is why you guys are on this forum. So far, everyone has been great and helpful to a newcomer. Thank you both and a Happy New Year to you.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 3:09 pm    

Brian,

I can understand the compelling need to be so affected by nature. Thoreau and Emerson were two of the most interesting thinkers of the 19th century. My studies of John Muir 1838-1914 were among the most intrepid naturalists ever to breathe fresh air at the rim of a canyon at the tallest treetops, during a violent storm. More recently, I've studied Washinton Irving's, and Louis L'Amour's creations. I've always lived close to nature. Thanks for your inquiry.

Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 3:24 pm    

Believe me, you are not bothering anyone. Chicago is a big town. Maybe you could look up Joel Paterson? doesn't he live there?

Brian Calvert

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 3:31 pm    

Hi Brian,

I am not sure if he does but I will look him up throught the boards. I did find a long list of steel players in the are and a couple of really nice guys have been in contact. Hopefully, something will happen. In the meantime, any suggestions for booksetc would be appreciated. I have seen Mickey Adams on youtube. Great player and helpful. I guess I'm just trying to catch up with the rest of you. Thanks

Brian

Brian Calvert

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 3:37 pm    

Hi again Bill,

I had to ask about Emerson and Thoreau. Two of my favorites along with Whitman and Irving. I am a high school Lit teacher and my students are just starting to do the readings. take this as a compliment. A couple of the sentences in your first reply to me were very much in Thoureau's writing style. Very cool and sorry to bore everyone.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2009 5:35 am    

Brian,

Berklee College of music is located in Boston, MA. Many steel guitar shows have proven to be a source of getting acquainted in and around Massachusetts. The New England States, and New York, have become very popular among attendees who book into hotels for accomodations. The P.S.G.A. memberships are based out of New York, near New York City. They have apparently recognized the need to locate their shows in a more fertile steel guitar oriented showing. The downside that has become more of a tradition, is that the players for future shows are selected well in advance of upcoming shows. This quirk in leadership (Inc.) entices me to resume the once popular "MASSBASHES". Your situation of raising a family in a happy home, combined with teaching English Lit., is not in the least uncommon. The steel guitar is more like a "Bull Of The Woods" to musicians who are preoccupied with special demands, such as ascertaining the progress of individuals in a classroom. Progress on the steel is dependent on a healthy approach, both physically and mentally. The rewards for allowing free moments to study the instrument, increases every step of the way, as you move into the more difficult challenges.

Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2009 1:18 pm    

Brian,

I'd recommend you get in touch with Brian Wilkie or Ken Champion. They're both great players and teachers. I have Brian's info, but not Ken's, if you want it drop me an email.

Gabriel