The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Joe Turner winner at St. Louis
Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Joe Turner winner at St. Louis
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:37 pm    

Joe Turner Plays What is in Front of him. A Lot of these players Change Steel Guitars about as often as they Change Socks and Underware. Joe has been playing this Marlen S-12 for as long as I have known him, About 8 Years that I know of on this one guitar, He's not hunting around for that Sound, He has Found it and thats the mark of a true Pro.

In addition To being a great Steel Guitarist, He is also an Excellent 6 String Finger Style Guitar Player.

That is a Deluxe Memory man in that little black case and as far as I know, He has used that as Long as The Marlen.

I have Seen Joe Sit between Hal Rugg and Tommy Dodd at a Saturday night Jam Session at Saluda and hold his own. Thats Pretty good company in anybody's book

Joe has been one of the Strongest Supporters of the Southern Steel Guitar Convention at Saluda S.C. and To The Best of my Knowledge from what Buddy Walker told me, he had the Banner made that Hangs From The Stage at Saluda and Presented it to Buddy Walker.

You won't find a better man in any respect than Joe Turner.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 8:32 am    

Congrats Joe. Well deserved you are a great player with great tone and feel for the steel guitar. I really enjoyed your set and I hope I get to work with you again soon.
...Roy

Debbie Johnley Glaub

St. Louis Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 11:18 am     Congrats Joe!

Joe,
Congrats to you! It was such a pleasure meeting you and Brenda, enjoyed your company. You are a dynamic player with a sytle all your own. I know you have alot of hero's and am sure they have been an inspiration to your accomplished talent.
Here is one of the pic's I took!
Tell Brenda hello!
Debbie

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 3:25 pm    

Joe, You did a great job my friend. Thanks for letting me see the Gretsch. She's a keeper. Send me a picture. Bobby Caldwell 10949 Mugan Dr. St. Louis, Mo 63123. Thanks again. My best to your and yours. Bobby

Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 4:39 am     Congratulations & Thanks !

Joe, you did your thing ! Congratulations are certainly in order....and your lovely bride,Brenda right there with you.....as we were. You are a PRO !!
Ron & Leslie

Mike Meese

Dover, Ohio, U S A GO BUCKEYES! (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 9:29 am     tour?

will there be a Steel Guitar Idol Tour?

Winking

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 10:20 am     Yes!

Southern Steel Guitar Convention, Saluda S.C. Mid November Winking

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2008 7:08 pm     Post from ....................Joe Turner

Joe Turner ask if I would post this for him

Quote:
I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO THANK SCOTTY, STONEY, ROB, AND THE REST OF THE FINE STAFF, AND STAFF BAND FOR ANOTHER SUCCESSFULL INTERNATIONAL STEEL GUITAR CONVENTION. THERE IS NOT ANOTHER STEEL SHOW IN THE WORLD LIKE THIS ONE. (KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK). I HAD HEARD A LOT OF GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE CONVENTION FOR MANY YEARS, BUT DIDN'T GET TO ATTEND UNTIL '91. I HAVEN'T MISSED MANY SINCE. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE GETTING TO MEET & CHAT WITH YOUR STEEL GUITAR HEROES, AND MEET & MAKE NEW FRIENDS.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK RUSS HICKS & WHO EVER ELSE WAS INVOLVED IN GETTING THE CONTEST TOGETHER, ALSO THE JUDGES. IT WAS ALOT OF FUN. ALL THREE OF THE OTHER CONTESTANTS WERE WINNERS IN MY BOOK. (EACH ONE PLAYED REALLY GREAT!!) THEY WERE NOT ONLY GREAT MUSICIANS, THEY WERE ALSO SUPER NICE GUYS, AND TO BE ABLE TO PLAY ON THE SAME STAGE WHERE OUR MENTORS AND HALL OF FAME MEMBERS HAVE PLAYED OVER THE YEARS REALLY MADE US ALL NERVOUS.

THANK EACH OF YOU FOR ALL OF THE NICE COMMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED. MAY GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU.

THANKS TO LONNIE, GLENN, AND HOWIE AND THE GUY THAT BUILDS THE BEAUTIFUL WALLACE GUITARS FOR INVITING ME TO PLAY IN THE FULAWKA ROOM. (I HAD A BLAST). ALSO TO MY FRIEND CHARLIE STEPP AND HIS FINE STAFF FOR INVITING ME IN TO PLAY ONE OF HIS FINE DERBY STEEL GUITARS. AND TO JEFF AND GLORIA WITH SHO PRO, THANKS FOR BEING SO NICE TO BRENDA AND ME. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR GREAT GUITARS. WE LOVE YOU ALL. AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO DANNY AND PATRICIA HAMMERS FOR THEIR ENCOURAGEMENT AND FRIENDSHIP.

PS: THINGS WERE NOT THE SAME WITHOUT DON HELMS AND JOHN HUGHEY. WE LOVE AND MISS THEM BOTH.
JOE TURNER

It was my pleasure Joe
Danny
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Jim Meiring

Highlands, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2008 5:03 am    

I'm glad more folks are getting to hear Joe Turner. A really great player.

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2008 11:42 am     Joe

You know, there,s not a lot of players in this world that can play straight from their heart , like Jimmy Day and Don Helms and Roy Wiggins. Joe has that God given talent to do that. It really dosen,t matter what song he plays, it,ll put a lump in your throat. Joe is truly a Pro.

Jack Jones

Kinston, NC, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2008 9:30 pm     Hey Joe

Hey Joe: Congratulations to you. You are a great Steel Player. Have not seen you in several years. Just got in from a gig- started playing again. Hope to see you soon. Congratulations again! Jack Jones, Kinston NC.

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 7:50 am     Joe's Web Site went on line ..................Sunday Sept 14

Joe's Web Site went on line Sunday Sept 14

www.JoeTurnerSteelGuitar.com
or
www.JoeTurnerSoundTracks.com

It has been a pleasure to do this project for such a nice guy, good friend, and great steel player.

Take a look
Danny
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Ken Latchum

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 6:00 pm     Congratulations Joe- You have always been a winner to me

I want to congratulate you Joe. You have always been a winner to Arnett and Me. We both Love you like a brother and happy as can be for you. As a MASGA past president for 2 terms and Vice president for 1 you have always supported me and supported all the MASGA Steel Guitar Events with all your talents and Money. Thank You.

I know you miss Don Helms but I know you got to be happy that you got to work with and completed the CD project with Don. That was a wonderful Project.

I know all these folks probably don't even know about all the fantastic recording back up tracks you made possible for the folks to get from you. I know you don't agressively push your projects Joe but these folks that read this post need to know that you have some of the most beautiful back up tracks available today and a lot of folks would love to have made them made available. Joe has (I think) 5 projects completed and a new one he has just finished or about to finsh. If you have ever heard Joe play with sound tracks, you most likely heard him playing to his own sound tracks. If anyone wants more information about Joe's sound tracks you can call me (Ken) at 434-251-1207 and I will give you the information you need to know or you can click on Joe's web page listed on the post above this one. You can also listen at samples of Joe's Tracks. You can also listen to a sample of Joe and Don Helms final project together.

Again Congratulations Joe, Job well done.