The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Buck Reid
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Buck Reid
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2008 8:54 pm    

Wow! Buck Reid was truly a highlight at this years ISGC 2008. Seriously ripping, very tasteful, and just plain unique and interesting at every turn. We get spoiled with so many great steelers, but Buck is doing something really special that stood out. A real-deal torchbearer of steel mastery in my opinion. I hope he's back again next time.

Brad Sarno

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 6:19 am    

Buck was a real jaw-dropper. What a wonderful unique tone he had, not to mention the great licks both fast and slow. What was he playing through on the main stage?

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 8:24 am    

Buck was playing his JCH, and man did he ever make it sing.

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 1:23 pm    

Brad, I concur times 10. Buck is deserving of the highest praise. Ear candy of the highest level.

At the risk of hijacking this, may I praise Mike Johnson and his family just as much?

I'm always glad when I can praise someone face to face. Buck and Mike were very humble and sincerely thanked me for my comments. I love to hear the steel taken to the "bleeding edge". Buck and Mike did so. But I love humility and sincerity almost as much.

Buck and Mike, I thank you again for making this convention most memorable and special.

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 3:38 pm    

Buck sounded GREAT in the Jazz Room too. His lines and tone were inspiring. His set was one of the best for sure. I loved it and I was up there playing with him (nice benefit for me and the rest of the band). Buck told me he didn't think he played that well but next year he'd be ready. He sounded fantastic this year so look out for next year, WOW.

Thanks for playing the Jazz Room Buck!!!!!

Jim

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 4:02 pm    

I agree with everyone else, I think Buck was the highlight of this years show, in the Jazz room as well as the main stage. I hadn't heard him play for several years, and he must not have done anything but practice all of those years. Smile
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 4:47 pm     Yup

Yup...None better!...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 5:51 pm    

Buck was the highlight of the show for me. I am so amazed when someone can play at that level with almost zero detectable mistakes. Jim Stahlhut, thanks so much for what you are doing. By the way, I forgot to tell you that Danna Moore said to tell you hello; I am doing a jam with her this coming weekend; that goes back a few years, doesn't it!
Dan

Matt Hughes

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 7:55 pm    

Buck Reid on the main stage Saturday night.
Absolutely a highlight of the convention!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 8:23 pm    

Great photo, Matt!

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 10:09 pm    

I don't know how to say thank you to all of you for your kind and generous comments. Playing Scotty's convention this year was THE culmination of a 30+ year dream of mine! I am in awe of all the hard work that Scotty,Mary and family put into this show year after year. Some of you may know that 8 days prior, I just finished a tour with Lyle Lovett in which we worked 48 shows in 59 days and I wasn't sure I'd be up for Scotty's show but couldn't turn down the opportunity when he called and asked me to play. Thank you so much Scotty for making one of my dreams come true!! The Jazz show was a plus... thank you Jim Cohen for inviting me and thank you Jim Stahlhut for your great guitar playing and help with the less than adequate charts I sent you. I promise to have better charts next time! Smile Also: thank you to Kyle Honeycutt on drums and Bob Deboo on bass for providing a stellar rhythm section. You guys are AWESOME! In a nutshell... I am very humbled and grateful for the chance to be in the same setting with so many great players and hope to do it again!!

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 11:05 pm    

Hey Buck, I know that you don't know me from Adam as the old saying goes but please let me complement you on your sincere humbleness and fantastic playing!

But most of all I just have to tell you that your humbleness makes you a king among Kings! It is way to seldom that in this business that we run into a humble gentleman and a gracious person such as you!!!!!!!! and plays on your level!!!

I have only heard you play 2 times live and a few more times on recorded material and you always stood out as a great player but above and way beyond your playing your attitude had made you such a wonderful character as well as a fine steel player.

Please accept my sincere congratulations for your performance at the show as well as your terrific attitude towards the music business and the musicians involved in it!

It is very seldom that we find one player so humble and so deserving of respect and praise! Do me a favor as well as the rest of the steel guitar community please don't ever change anything about your personality or attitude or even picking as far as that goes don't even change your playing style unless it is to just play sweeter and more tastier than you do now and I doubt that it would be possible to play sweeter and tastier than you do now!!!!!!!

Please accept these kind words in the manner in which they are intended! I just want you to know your many years of playing and hard work have not gone unnoticed by your fellow musicians and brothers Smile

May God Bless you and keep you from here on out!!!!!

Big Bob

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 6:32 am    

Buck was the highlight for me too. It was nice to hear some new licks and new sounds; nice to hear jazz chops on "Donna Lee" that at the same time as being jazz allowed the steel to be steel -- something no sax or horn could do. And with such ease and confidence. I liked his original tunes too. Way to go, man.

Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 6:41 am    

Buck is "The Bomb"!!! At least he is for me...jeff bradshaw

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 10:40 am    

Buck is in a class of his own!! SUPER!!! Whoa! Whoa!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 11:37 am    

On my way to Scottys this year I had fond memories of past shows and sitting on the floor in front of the stage watching Buddy Emmons with Phil Baugh and a band from hell. Other times we'd sat and watched the GREAT late Jimmy Crawford,John Hughey,Don Helms,Gene O'Neil,Julian Thorpe,Zane Beck,Billy Bowman,Speedy West,Hal Rugg,Jimmy Day and countless others perform their steel guitar artistry year after year and had always taken for granted they'd be around forever. In my artist vocal show I do a song by George Jones titled "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes". With all these greats now passed on it hit me, "Whos Gonna Fill Their Shoes"? Well folks, I think my question was answered this past weekend at the show. Buck Reid is one of them and rest assured, the steel guitar community is in good hands. Thanks Buck, glad to know ya my friend. Very Happy WC

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 1:37 pm    

Buck, great job in St. Louis. You are a wonderful player and a dear new friend. I was an honor for me to work with you. I hope we can do it again next year. My best to you and yours, Bobby

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 5:28 pm    

Mr Buck,
Such a great presentation of your music, and your guitar. You sure didn't leave anything in the 'bucket'..Great show..I certainly hope you are back next year..
Thanks for your talent, and your time my friend.
Peace to you and yours.
RP...'come on in'...

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 5:11 pm    

Bobby, my thought's go back to 1980 when my Dad and I saved up enough money to fly to the convention from my home town in upstate NY. I was blown away then by your talent and am so thrilled all these years later to finally get to perform on the same stage with you! I thank you for our new found friend ship and keep you in my thought's and prayers for good health. Thank you does not cover it but I was so happy to have the opportunity to play with you at Scotty's and you sounded great as always.
And Mr. Rob, I have heard you sing with many of my Steel Guitar heroes and get goose bumps thinking about some of those outings. Thank you for your kind words and maybe we can pick together one day soon! Smile And to Big Bob Martin... easy big fella... you almost had me in tears there! Smile Dirk, Jeff, Junior Knight(what can I say),and W.C. , thanks so much!!!!!!!