The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. The Jazz show at ISGC
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  The Jazz show at ISGC
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 3:55 pm    

First of all, thanks Jim and Barbara Stahlhut for all of your hard work putting on another great show.

Jim Cohen did his usual great playing, he always seems so relaxed, I don't know how he does it.

Russ Wever played a good show again this year.

Jim Loessberg was a newcomer to this show, but proved he can hold his own on Jazz as well as Country.

What can I say about Buck Reid but "GOOD LORD, WHAT A PICKER". I have had several conversations with older players wondering who's coming up to take the place of the older greats who are fading away. Well, Buck is definitely one of those players. I think he has the skills of Emmons, Hughey, and Rugg, all rolled into one. He did a great job in the Jazz room as well as on the main stage.

And my favorite steel player of all time, Maurice Anderson. The music he can get out of a non-pedal Superslide, would be tough for most players to get out of a pedal steel. His tone and technique are always great.

And then there's Dave Easley. If any of you guys haven't seen him play, you need to make it a point to do so. Even if you don't like Jazz, it is amazing how much music he can get out of that old Emmons, with the "knee string". Just watching him play is a real treat, and if you like a variety of styles on pedal steel, his is definitely different.

Then there was the backup band, Jim Stahlhut on guitar playing great Jazz guitar as usual. Bob DeBoo, playing upright bass. I thought I had seen some great bass players before, but I think this guy is right up there with THE BEST, and he is a really nice guy too, very easy to talk to. And last but not least, Kyle Honeycutt on drums. He always seems to know exactly what to play, and when to play it, never trying to steal the spotlight, as do a lot of drummers we have all worked with.

I think a Jazz show would be a good addition for other steel shows too. It would reach out to another group of players such as myself, who really don't care a lot for Country music.

I can hardly wait until next year.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 2:34 pm    

I just wanted to thank everyone who came out to listen in the Jazz Room. And of course the players: Jim Cohen, Russ Wever, Jim Loessberg, Buck Reid, Reece Anderson, and Dave Easley. Also thank Bob DeBoo and Kyle Honeycutt. This year was a tough year to set up so I also need to thank Jim Cohen for his help in contacting players. Colm Chomicky did the video and I can't wait to see that. Everyone played great and there was a nice diversity of players. Darvin is right Buck Reid sounded fantastic. He had such deep roots in steel guitar but yet a voice of his own. Wow, what a player! Dave Easley and I had played some Jazz gigs in the last year so it was so easy to play together. We did some of each of our originals (more modern Jazz) and they sounded great. It was the same with Reece since we recorded a CD together "Out of Nowhere". I had a blast playing the show like I do every year. I put so much time into arranging the Jazz Room but I get payed back by playing with all the players. I enjoyed playing with each and every steel player. Next year we will do it again. I had so many listeners thank me personally for putting on the show, that was very gratifying.

Thanks again to all the players and listeners,
Jim

http://jimstahlhut.com/

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:13 pm    

Jim, are the videos you spoke of going to be put up here on the forum? I really enjoyed the ones from last year.

Steve Morley

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:28 pm    

Good post, Darvin. Thanks.

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 5:30 pm    

Billy,
They will be on youtube and Jim Cohen's Steel Guitar Jazz site. Colm Chomicky and I are working on getting the best sound and video put together. I think Jim's site will have the highest quality.
As I checked this I was listening to the first 3 Jazz Room players: Jim Cohen, Russ Wever, and Jim Loessberg and all 3 sets were burning!

Jim

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 8:14 pm    

I was lucky to hear some of that Jazz on Steel Radio. It was really great! Thanks everyone...al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus