The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1953 Alkire Eharp 10 string lap steel
Ron Dotson

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 11:12 pm    

Hi all,

Got a simple question; what would be considered a fair price for a 1953 Alkire Eharp 10 string lap steel guitar? Found one being offered for $500 and is very good condition.

Have been wanting to get a 10 string lap steel for awhile but they are hard to find. Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

Ron

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 11:43 am    

Hey Ron,

If it's in good condition and plays well I think
$500 is a fair price by all means.

Roy

Richard Shatz

Quincy, IL, United States
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 3:38 pm    

That's not a real simple question.
I think the E-Harps were made by several different manufacturers. Harmony, Valco and Epiphone come to mind. I'm not sure if Valco actually made an E-Harp, but I think so. I've seen the Harmony and it's not very good in any way. If it's an Epiphone, $500 is a great deal, if it's in decent shape.

Ron Dotson

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:19 pm    

Roy & Richard, thank you for your replies and in regards to who made it I will check. Don't want to spend $500 on something that is not worth it.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 6:51 pm    

There were at least three versions of the Alkire eHarp. Each version looks different.

The early ones were built by Epiphone, and they sell for about $600 to $800 in VG condition w/original case. Those are very well made instruments. Cream colored guitar-shape body, rosewood fretboard, ornate Epiphone tuners, late 1940s to early 50's.

Harmony (Valco) made the eHarps in the mid-50s through the early 60s. There were a couple of different styles in that era. The body became more rectangular, and IMHO the materials became cheaper. Those usually sell for about $500 to $600 depending on condition.

This Post has lots of pictures of Alkire eHarps.

Ron Dotson

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 9:48 pm    

Doug, Eharp the lady is holding in the fifth picture looks like the one being offered. Here is the link to the page where it is offered; http://fresno.craigslist.org/msg/769630803.html . I have contacted the seller but no reply as of yet. Would you mind taking a look and giving an opinion? I am looking for a 10 string lap steel.

Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 1:15 am    

Hi Ron,

Ron Dotson wrote:
Here is the link to the page where it is offered; http://fresno.craigslist.org/msg/769630803.html

I have one of these E-Harps (mine has a serial number that is higher than the Craiglist one) and I am very happy with it. It's been my main practice-in-front-of-the-TV guitar for several years and I've also used it on several gigs. I also have one of the older ones made by Epiphone, and while there is a little difference in the weight and pickups, both are great guitars. If the guitar on Craigslist is in good condition $500 is a very good price in my opinion.

-- Jan

Jon Nygren

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:56 am    

Kind of looks valco to me?

bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 7:30 pm    

Hi Ron...Did a search using the word Alkire. Look at the June 18 '08 Instruments For Sale post by C. Dixon.

Ron Dotson

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 11:58 pm    

Thanks Jan for your input, but so far no response from the seller Sad . They might not check their email very often or its no longer available.

Ron Dotson

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 12:03 am    

Bob, looks like C. Dixon already sold the Eharp though it doesn't say that it was sold. Thanks for the info, maybe C. Dixon will chime in and let us know one way or the other.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 4:04 pm    

Hi all.

I was just browsing and found this thread.

Yes I did sell my "Epiphone" Eddie Alkire, E-harp. I sold it for $475 plus the shipping which turned out to be $29.30. from Atlanta, Ga. The guitar and case were in very good condition. Part of the binding on the guitar was coming loose and some of the inlaid wooden frets were coming loose. This is a common problem on old Eharps. They can be glued back down easily. The pots were scratchy.

It had a killer sound. One of the best I ever heard. Little Roy Wiggins played it about 40 yrs ago. He was at a party in Miami, and he did not bring his guitar. So I let him use it.

The late Claude Brownell (sang and played it using the Eharp "diatonic" tuning at the Atlanta Steel Guitar Extravaganza show in '97). He was kind enough to restring it for me using the original E-harp tuning. I left a copy of that tuning in the case for the buyers info.

A gentleman in Washington state bought it within just moments of my creating the thread in the "for Sale section.

I had NO idea what to ask. But I am pleased, and I believe the buyer is pleased. I was born for PSG's and I suppose I will die that way. Very Happy

I owned it for almost 50 yrs. Played it only a few times. A dealer in Ftlauderdale, Florida gave it to me. It had hung in his store with no takers for a long time.

thanks for asking.

c.

Ron Dotson

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 9:37 pm    

Thanks C. Dixon for filling us in on the out come of Eharp. Glad to hear it has a good home.