The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bennett Lap Steel, opinions?
Robbie Roberts

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 3:58 am    

Hi,

I'm mainly concentrating on learning pedal steel but am thinking of getting a (far more portable) lap steel too, so that I can work on right/left hand technique when I'm away from home.

Music Ground in Manchester have a couple of Bennett lap steels that I haven't had a chance to check out yet, does anyone have an opinion on them/ own one? His pedal steels seem to get a decent write up on here but I couldn't find much info about the lap ones.

Thanks, Robbie

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 7:34 am    

Robbie -

They could be fantastic lap steels. But the name is not well known. If I were you, I'd stick with popular vintage brands - that way, you can always sell it easily when you want to upgrade or if you decide that Lap is not for you. You can scan the forum and get an idea of what the popular vintage lap steels are: (i.e. Ricky, Gibson, Oahu, National, etc)

- Tom

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 8:08 am    

I hadn't heard of Bennett lap steels before you asked. This Stones Music blog entry includes some photos of the end of the lap steel. I haven't heard one (obviously) but what I notice about the guitar is the placement of the volume and tone knobs and the input jack, at the far end of the guitar.

It looks like a pretty nice guitar for the money, but I don't have any experience with them.

Robbie Roberts

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 9:11 am    

Thanks for your input Brad and Tom.

The guy said they do the 6-string version for £299, that's the most I want to spend. Vintage lap steels seem a bit thin on the ground over here and the few I have seen are above my price range. They apparently have a vintage Gibson in the same shop but that is £650.

In the new sub-£300 market there doesn't seem a huge amount of choice beyond the really cheap Artisan type ones and the Gretsch one that know one seems that keen on.

There's a couple of other shops I can check out at the weekend, so might find a vintage bargain yet, you never know.

Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 9:26 am    

Hi Robbie,

I live in the UK too and I have bought a few vintage National lap steels on US eBay at very good prices. A post-war National New Yorker, just an example and a great instrument, can be found for around $350-$450 if one looks hard enough, and even with shipping (about $80) and customs duty and VAT (about 20%) that is much cheaper than a similar vintage lap steel would be over here, if you were to find one (as you say, vintage lap steels and lap steels in general are scarce). RF Charle, a shop in Paris, sells a New Yorker for €1,300! Shocked

Supros and other Valco-made steels from the late 1940s-1950s era are cheaper than the Nationals (around $300-$400 these days for a good deal) and highly regarded for their string-through pickups.

Cheers,

Fred

Jim Brookman

Cornwall, UK
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 12:25 am     Bennett Lap Steel

Hi Robbie,

I tried a Bennett lap steel at Gerry Hogan's shop some years ago. I found the volume and tone controls awkwardly placed and I just did not enjoy playing it. That's just my personal view and you may feel differently. Have you seen the ABM 8-string that is imported by Eagle Music in Huddersfield? Here is a link:
http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1.asp/ProductID/5182/sid/178/ABM_Slider_Special_8_String_Lap_Steel.HTM

At £249.99 it is good value and quite well made for the price.

Why not try both and see which you prefer?

Regards, Jim

Bill Leach

Cheshire, england
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 1:47 am    

Hi Robbie,
Bennett steels are made on the Wirral. I was told that he does do custom orders so it may be possible to contact Ron Bennett. I've heard good things about them, a friend of mine recently bought a double 8, but I've yet to see it.

Iain Carmichael

Scotland
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 1:50 am    

Hi Robbie,

Fred's dead right. I got a MINT 1962 National with Aiello-ised magnets for a total cost of just under £300 from an American gentleman on this forum. From eBay I got an as-new West Coast 8-string Hawaiian for about £200 (new cost all-in about £600)That was from Canada. You can, fairly easily, get a good vintage Valco-made Supro or National or some such on eBay for under £300 (including shipping and taxes.) As Fred says, it's the Valco strings-through pick-up you want. Much better than a cheapo new one, I'm convinced. Anyway, good luck. Let us know how you get on! Smile

Robbie Roberts

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 6:29 am    

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I was pretty much hoping to just walk into a shop and buy something without complications. I take your points on board though and it does sound like you can get a great deal buying from accross the pond. I agree that the volume and tone controls do look in a slightly odd position on the Bennett. I'll just have to try one out at the weekend and any others I can find, then maybe think about whether it's worth spending the extra time waiting for an ebay bargain.

As I say, I'm mainly concentrating on learning pedal steel so I'm not neccesarily looking for the holy grail of lap steels, just something practical and not too expensive.