The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Lapsteel for sale....
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2008 10:58 am    

I have a 1950's Eddie Alkire "Eharp" that is in very good condition, for sale.

Except for a few aging problems, there are no dings or blemishes. The case is in remarkable condition. All the latches work fine. The keys look brand new and work flawlessly.

It has a tone to die for. And yes, both pots (volume and tone) are scratchy. Not sure whether spray will cure it or not.

It was strung with the "Alkire Diatonic" tuning by the late Claude Brownell. Who was one of the world's incredibly great diatonic tuning player/singers. But most players I am sure, would restring it to one of the standard 10 string tunings.

The diatonic tuning will be in the case just in case. Claude made it for me, when he played at my SGE show in '97. It has not been outside the case since.

I played it once. And Little Roy Wiggins (25yr SG player for Eddy Arnold) played it once at a party I attended. Outside that, it has been in the case for over 50 yrs in my home.

As you can see, the binding is coming loose on the top edges of the body. I am sure this can be glued back. It is of course aged normally while sitting in the case for over 50 yrs, except for a miniscule few times I have had it out.

Also, the frets are typical Alkire inlaid contrasting wooden frets. They are quite beautiful. But a couple of them have raised up out of their grooves slightly. I am confident, they of course could be glued back down.

Notice the 2 screw holes on the top of the body near the PU. Actually there are 3. Many Alkire Eharps came with a wrist wrest. On this guitar it was made of plexiglass and had a half circle shape that followed the outline of the guitar's body.

Would you believe the danged thing simply disentegrated IN the case. Imagine! but it is true. A little piece of 1/4" plexiglass shaped, cut and sanded nicely on the edges; and 3 round half inch longer nylon spacers; and 3 stainless steel phillip's head screws; and you would bring it back to as though it was on there from the factory. Garonteed! Very Happy

Outside that, the guitar is in very good shape I would say.

The price is $495.00 PLUS shipping and insurance.

Thanks for your interest.

carl
770-448-8455

Pat Goodbla

Longview, Washington
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2008 2:15 pm     E Harp

Carl....

Please check your email. Cool

Pre-RP Mullen D-10 10/10

Pat Goodbla

Longview, Washington
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2008 7:40 am     E Harp

Carl....

It was good to talk to you. Please consider this sold, per our conversation this morning. Very Happy

Pre-RP Mullen D-10 10/10

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2008 8:28 am    

Ok Pat,

It was indeed nice to speak to you on the phone. You have such a nice voice and you sound like a gentelman's gentleman.

I am headed to Fed EX to get a shipping price for you. And I will then email you post haste with it.

Thank you for buying it dear friend,

carl