The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Voice recorder
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 9 May 2008 7:58 pm    

Today I ordered an Olympus digital voice recorder, about $50. It seems over the last few years, when I have an idea, or some ad comes on radio, I can't remember the idea long enough to get home, or get to my computer.
My forgetter's gettin' better but my rememberer is failing.

Now, I will be able to retrieve what I put in. That should help jog the memory.

Anyone else use a voice recorder?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 May 2008 2:08 am    

Ken, I have 3 portable mp3/wave recorders , I usually forget to take one with me Sad

But thats a different problem I guess,

Good luck, buy two, one for the car, one for home.

tp

Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2008 8:03 am    

You could also try calling your answering machine or voice mail, to leave a message (hopefully no one picks up the phone when you think no one's home).

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2008 8:41 am    

some cell phones have a recorder built in for saving lists or things you want to remember.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 8:27 pm    

Ken, for many years I've been using very compact, handy little Olympus recorders for the exact same purpose as you're intending. Great for capturing to-do lists while driving, song ideas, even steel lick ideas. Every morning I type them into my Palm Desktop, some things go to the daily calendar that rolls over, don't ever need to retype stuff, or into a bunch of Memos all organized by them and alphabet. Great system, you just have to learn to take giant lists with a grain of salt cause you capture EVERYTHING! But I just scan the lists, focus on the priority stuff, ignore the other stuff that it's be "nice to do someday."

You ever worry whether you closed the garage door when you're miles down the road on your way somewhere? I actually watch the door, then record myself saying, "Friday, May 16, garage door is closed, I'm looking at it, all is well," or words to that effect. Dorky, yes. But very reassuring that the home front is safe and sound when you live in a not-so friendly city environment. And if I'm not sure later in the day, I have an audio record to ease my mind.

Mine is the VN-1800, has 3 file folders, lots of record time, fabulous. Fits easily in jeans pockets, and batteries last a long time (2 AA's).

Hope you'll try it, I've turned lots of people onto these gizmos, they love 'em!

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 8:44 pm    

John: I ordered the VN-4100. It's not here yet but should be here early next week.

Your description is exactly what I want to use it for.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 May 2008 4:12 am    

I just bought one last week.Great little tool.I have a serious case of KRAFT.Been talkin to my self for years antway.Now I get answers. ...PJ...

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2008 7:26 am     Tony Palmer

It's a little late to add this since you already bought one, but I and a bunch of other musicians use a Sony ICD-SX series stereo digital recorders, which not only do all the voice recording you want but record excellent live music and easily burn to a cd.
In addtion, you can slow down the music to half speed without changing the pitch.
Here's an example: http://members.aol.com/ribrass/TomMorrellSample.mp3

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2008 6:27 pm    

Actually, the first one I picked, don't remember the brand, had all that capability. It was more expensive, but that didn't matter; but the site wouldn't take my credit card, so I shined them on.

I thought since I already had an H-4 I didn't need the recording/MP3 capability, so I bought the plain voice recorder. Haven't used it yet, but it's there when I need it.