The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tilt ed Pack a Seat
Jim Ragan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2008 7:11 pm    

Anyone out there ever sit on a forward tilted Pack a Seat?
I cut down the front legs on mine about an inch so that It would tilt forward. I think it is more confortable now.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 31 May 2008 4:46 am    

Jim,
Not to throw water at your post...But, I would try spacers under the back legs (to see what it felt like )before I did any cutting.

Bill

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2008 8:03 am    

Do you play faster now that you're going downhill? Whoa!

Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 31 May 2008 1:38 pm    

Jim,
I just did something similar to mine awhile back.
I added 5/8ths of extra length to my back legs. It doesn't sound like much, but it does force me to sit up straighter, instead of flat on my cheeks.
That little posture correction also helped to free my left leg up a little more for working the pedals.

Erv,
Yes.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 May 2008 2:35 pm    

The backrest on my new Steeler's Choice Sidekick seat is positioned so I have to sit up straight. But, I wouldn't want the seat tilted.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2008 4:52 am    

I don,t build seats,but a really cool seat would be one with a backreat with an inflatable bladder to give perfect lumbard support.The air could be let out easy for storage or transportation.A little co2 cartrige
would fill it numerouse times.So seat builders this would be a great selling feature.I would like the first seat please.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2008 12:30 pm    

Bob,

There's something at those clubs that inflates my bladder so a deflattable bladder control would be a nice feature.

Maybe they could add spinal decompression too.

Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2008 5:57 pm    

Quote:
There's something at those clubs that inflates my bladder so a deflattable bladder control would be a nice feature.

And with that seat tilted forward, Dick is already half way to the bladder deflating room when the band takes a break! Very Happy

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2008 5:59 pm    

After packin all that stuff in ,a back massage from the bar maid would do a world of good.

Jim Ragan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2008 8:20 pm     The Big Tilt

Seriously Now,
Tilting the seat forward releaves the leg drag when working the levers. Try it with the spacers and you will see what I am telling you. You can even adjust your hight with how far back you sit on the seat.
It really works.

Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2008 5:33 am    

Jims Right.

I jacked my rear legs up with a couple of thin paperback books first, before I made any alterations.

My own discovery was the result of exploring a possible solution for another member who had complained of a problem of his thighs coming into contact with the bottom of his guitar. When I tested the theory for practical use, I personally liked the feel of it, and realized the potential for the same benefits that Jim mentioned.
Unfortunately, I lost track of that thread, and didn't get a chance to contact that member.

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2008 9:04 pm    

I have a seat w/back and I noticed that if I sit back to be comfortable and use the back as intended, the front of the seat does feel kinda high and hindering movement of my left-foot on the pedals and KL's, so; I find myself sitting way forward on the seat to be able to play comfortably. I think tomorrow I will experiment by raising the rear-legs just 1/2” or so. I kinda fooled with the idea before, but; never really did anything about it, because; I'm too fussy about having the seat sitting straight. I think the seat leaning forward l©©ks like I've already been drinking when I first start out playing! If so, they might not serve me for the rest of the night! Maybe, I'll “just try this at home”!

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2008 9:16 pm     tilted forward

i did that to mine over a year ago and it made a big difference for me ,it didnt improve my playing any but i was more confortable playing bad. Oh Well
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.