The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  No longer looking for a Carter Starter or better...
Carl Morris

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2008 8:04 am    

[edit: found what I was looking for, see update at end of thread]

I've never played any type of slide guitar before, but I'm getting the bug. I've played rock and jazz music on bass and guitar most of my life, but played traditional country with my older relatives when I was a kid. Got together with those guys again in March for the first time in years and had a blast playing old Merle Haggard and a bunch of other stuff that I don't even know who did it. Plus I love the stuff David Gilmour did with Pink Floyd on a steel, and it's all starting to click into place for me that it's something I'd like to learn.

I'm looking for something used, [edit: removed price range, I understand quality costs Smile], mechanics and playability important, cosmetic appearance not so much. A hard case would be a plus. If you have a dinged up one that plays good, let me know. I hope to pick one up in the next month, but if I can't find the right deal I'll wait. I see that they usually go in the 500s here and on ebay.

If you have something equivalent that you'd like to tell me about, that's fine. I'm just concentrating on Carter Starters because everything I've read here so far made it sound like that's what I'd be happiest with for now.

Last edited by Carl Morris on 23 May 2008 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2008 6:51 pm    

Hello Carl,

I have a like new, Carter Starter, no chips, dings, or mars, WITH volume pedal, two audio cables, set of picks, tone bar, string winder, gig bag, and instructions for $695 plus $30 shipping.
I know this is a bit more than you wanted to spend, but it is available now, and I can take your credit card, Pay Pal, or a money order. If you are ready to buy, give me a call. Thanks for your consideration.

Larry Jamieson, Walton Music, Walton, NY 13856 607 865-5670.

Carl Morris

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2008 7:41 pm    

Thanks for the reply, but yeah, that's more than I'm looking to spend for a CS. At that price I'll be looking for something in the Zum Stage One class, and even then I'm not sure if I'd spend that much.

Just looked up the pictures your ad, what's the make/model of that volume pedal?

Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 11 May 2008 10:50 pm    

Carl,

You "might" find a fully loaded starter including a volume pedal etc for less than Larry's asking for that Carter but I wouldn't be holdin' my breath waiting. You might find an older Maverick in the $400 range but it won't have much in the line of levers and such.

Keep an eye on the "Instruments for Sale" section.

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 4:07 am    

Carl,
The volume pedal is made by Carter to sell as a package deal with the Carter Starter. A local guitar player bought this package new a few months ago. He tried to play it once or twice, then gave up and decided to sell it. It was not even in tune when he brought it in.
I tuned it up, tuned the pedals and demonstrated it for him. It plays and sounds good. I even offered to give him lessons, but he thinks he is too old to learn, so... Still available!
Larry J.

Carl Morris

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 7:44 am    

RC Antolina wrote:
Carl,

You "might" find a fully loaded starter including a volume pedal etc for less than Larry's asking for that Carter but I wouldn't be holdin' my breath waiting. You might find an older Maverick in the $400 range but it won't have much in the line of levers and such.

Keep an eye on the "Instruments for Sale" section.

Thanks. Yeah, I know that a pristine one will always go for over $500, I just thought I'd see if anybody had one that had seen some hard times Smile. But I've read enough in the last week or so to see that I don't want to go cheaper than a CS. I'm fairly picky about the quality of my 6-strings, which is making me wonder if maybe I should just go Zum or better right from the beginning. When I see posts about the really long knee throws on the CS versus pro instruments, it makes me go hmmmmmm. I haven't even played a steel yet, but that makes me think of something annoying like really high action on a guitar or bass, which I hate.

Carl Morris

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2008 12:42 pm     Bought One

Bought Norris's CS, it got here while the board was down, no complaints at all on my side of the transaction. Been playing it for a few days now, I'll start asking noob questions shortly Smile. Thanks for the space...