The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss BR-1200CD Digital Recording Studio
Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2007 5:03 pm    

Anyone using this Machine....I thinking of getting this one, If you have any thought about it, I would love to hear them, pro or con. I have a smaller boss and it works great;

Ken

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2007 5:25 am    

Very nice machine, lots of features easy to use.

I don't think you can go wrong with this unit if it fits your budget..

I have used many Boss machines and they are all very easy to use, spend time playing and recording rather than engineering..

and the results are very good, that is, if we PLAY good Sad

t

Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2007 5:49 am     Thanks Tony

I'm debating whether to get the 16 track or or this machine, and I can't see much difference except more tracks and I think twelve is plenty for what I will do

Ken

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2007 8:50 am    

If you are doing more home based projects on your own ,12 will be plenty..

If you are doing projects where Drum kits are involved you need at least 4 , typically 5 tracks just for drums...

With my 16 tracks, I have 4 dedicated to the drum kit..I can use 5 but usuuallly don't. When I do projects without LIVE drums I use 8 to 10...which includes a stereo pair for the fake 120VAC drummer .

go for it..

good luck

tp

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2007 5:34 pm    

Kenny-My friend Fred Welch has one and brought it over to my house and it seems to be a terrific unit.

He did a beautiful recording and the sound was just great, he played great on it, then it has a CD to burn. Those sliders really work nice, mixer, etc.

I can see that it is a complete recording station. I think the price now is down to under $1000. I been thinking of getting one myself, but I don't do that much recording now to warrant the investment.

Fred is coming over when the weather gets better and record me with BIAB on his Boss 1200. I'll be looking forward to that and his visit again....al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2007 11:39 pm    

I have the Boss 1180CD and find it to be a very nice unit for my needs. I like the fact that the reverb and delay chips are the same as the RV-3 that I use live, so I can just plug in direct and get the sound I'm happy with and it's easy to use after you learn your way around the processing screens. I had the BR-8 and found I could run out of tracks with just 6 to use and have a pair left to mix down on, now I get 8 and a mix pair and so far I've only used 8 once. Good gear, good price.
JE:-)>

Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 1:34 pm     Thanks all

I have the older BR864 and it works great, just a little short of tracks and no burner or hard drive. The only complaint I have about the Boss models are their user instructions. I had to learn most of it just by trial an error....sure hope the newer one are better.

Ken

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2007 3:26 am    

Hi Kenny, how's it going old buddy? I think you would love the BR 12 or the 16. I bought a little old BR-600 and it kicks tail. I more or less bought it for fun and to capture some live performances here in town. I had no idea that it could be a viable resource for doing demos but trust me it is.

Now before you run out and buy one there are lot's of down sides to it the biggest one being only recording 2 tracks at a time but with that being said if you could live with doing 2 tracks at a time it would even work for you and save you tons on cash.

From what I have learned it has the same effects in it that the bigger 1200's and 1600's has in them. You should hear the dog gone mastering effects they really do rival some of them I have in my professional studio recorder. I use Sonar 6.2.1 PE

Anyway let us know which one you decide to get. Knowing you it will be the 1600 just for the extra tracks.

Which ever one you get have fun and be careful who you fire from your band next time they might end up being pretty good pickers LOL!!!!!! your pal

Bob

Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2007 9:21 am     Thanks Bob

Great to hear from you...You're right I will probably get the 16 track...looks like a few more bells and whistles and toys to play with. I'm so busy right now that I wouldn't have time to play with it anyway, will probably get it in a month or so, do you think it is worth the $20.00 for the instructional DVD.

As for the firings...remember the old saying " It's not to smart to outpick the Boss......It's not too difficult, just not too smart. Very Happy Very Happy Embarassed

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2007 9:38 am    

Well let me put it this way Kenny. I can read a manual for hours on end and not get as much out of it as watching 30 minutes of video. It just seems to me watching it being done is easier than reading about it done.

Shoot and all these years I thought I got fired because all the girls wanted me LOL!!!!

Bob

Jim Ragan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2008 8:38 pm     DVD VIDEO ???

I DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS A DVD FOR THE UNIT.
I HAVE A BOSS BR1600, WHERE CAN I GET THE DVD ???

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 11:27 am    

Hi Jim,

You can purchase the DVD here.
http://www.proaudiodvds.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BR%2D1600&Show=ExtInfo

Jim Ragan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2008 11:20 am     DVD

THANKS DERRICK,
I'LL GET ME ONE.
JIM