The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Opinions on Sonar?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 3:21 am    

I'm still looking for upgraded software. I can get Sonar "Studio Edition" at a discounted price (and within my price range). I don't recall seeing much on here about Sonar. I have the "horsepower" and hard drive space on my PC (a second 500GB hard drive).

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 5:42 am    

Jack, I have Sonar producers edition running on my vista laptop with no problems. I am unsure what the differences are between the different editions, but it appears to work well for me. I can't imagine that you'd have much trouble with it. I haven't used it a lot because I am new to recording, but it appears that anyone that is computer minded can make it work.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 11:36 am    

Hey Jack, the difference between studio and producers is studio has less bells and whistles. It is the same engine with less plugins and editing options. It would be a great choice.

I have Sonar 6.2 PE and haven't found the need to upgrade to 7 yet. Sonar is an industry standard in line with Cubase and Logic on the Mac. You wouldn't have to go very far to find many praises about Sonar they are one of the last dongle free bastions of the sw recording apps. As far as I know they are planning on staying that way and thats a big plus for me. Dongles are intrusive and trouble starters in my opinion.

You could very easily make master recordings with Sonar as long as you had some mastering plugins and the skill Smile Sonar has one of the easiest interfaces to me but keep in mind that is very subjective.

Bob

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 1:43 pm    

Jack,
I love Sonar. Using Producer 4, never had any problems and for me not being very computer literate is easy to work with.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 7:08 pm    

I use Sonar 6 producer as well. It's a good program.

Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2008 8:09 pm     Sonar Studio Edition

Jack I got Sonar LE with a Roland Keyboard I just bought. About a week later I got an offer to upgrade to Studio for 99 bucks. I jumped on it and I'm glad I did. The program works great. I certainly don't know how to use all the features but I'm making recordings (audio) with little trouble. I used to use Cakewalk Pro Audio so I was somewhat familiar with the program. It includes a lot of usable plug-ins too. I did have to cough up 19 dollars to get the mp3 encoder activated though. Are you planning on using audio or midi or both?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 3:32 am    

Sounds like Sonar is the way to go. I'll check again but it looks like I can get a "competitive upgrade" price on it since I have Cubase LE.

I'll probably mostly use my Alesis io26 8 channel firewire interface unit, but I do have a keyboard with MIDI I/O and I have a MIDI interface on my PC.

I'm just about done with the (Tommy Cash) tour I'm on and I'll be able to devote some time to learning PC recording.

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2008 1:49 pm    

I went with Sonar last year (ver. 6PE)and now have the current ver. 7PE. Processor power is important as well as a smokin' interface but it really depends on how loaded up you get it (efx/softsynth plugins, high track count, etc...)and what level of latency you'd like. Most of the high-end builders of DAW's agree that the sweet spot for processors (last year) was the Core 2 Duo. I'm still using the Core 2 Duo E6700 but am about to go to the Quad Core Q6600 (pretty amazing price reduction since the time they were first introduced).

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 4:24 am    

Mike, I have a Dual Core D925 processor, Vista Home Premium with 4GB of RAM (although the 32 bit Operating Systems cannot fully utilize the full 4GB)and a 400 and a 500 GB hard drives. I can use the 500 GB drive just for recording if I need to.

BTW, I ordered the Sonar 7 Studio Edition, it was $149 with the "competitive upgrade" discount. Well within my price range.

I also downloaded a trial version of Sonar 7 Producer Edition so that will give me something to "play with" until I get my order.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 9:29 am    

Well Jack welcome to the Cakewalk family. They have a very active forum with lots of info at http://forum.cakewalk.com/default.asp my nick is stratguy over there. I suggest at least you go and check out Sonar 7 forum. I signed up and have enjoyed participating quite a bit. If you sign up send me a pm and let me know your nick Smile

Big Bob

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 3:33 pm    

Hi folks. I am also experimenting with the Sonar 7.0 demo. I am running a P4 Dell desktop with an integrated soundcard (SOUNDMAX) that has a software MIDI synth with it. However, when I run Sonar, I can not hear any midi tracks. Sonar won't recognize it as a midi device. So, if I want to only use audio tracks, then I guess that is it. But if I want to take full advantage of all the loops and effects etc, what do I do? I know that I need to buy a better soundcard because integrated stuff is never very good. Will a SB Live card do it? or do I need more hardware? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 3:40 am    

The SoundMax does not have the MIDI synth, on systems with Integrated Audio you use the Microsoft software "GS Wavetable Synth". I notice the Sonar 7 demo I have does not recognize the GS Wavetable, so you will most likely need some other MIDI synth.

The cheapest way is to install a PCI SoundBlaster Audigy SE sound card (both XP and Vista compatible). They are even available at Wal-Mart ($30). It's a step up from the Integrated audio and a fix for several issues that the Dell SoundMax has (such as not being able to record streaming audio from the web). The Audigy SE has hardware MIDI synths and also the "What you hear" option for recording. The only issue with adding a PCI sound card (any sound card) is that the front panel headphone jack (and mic on many models) is connected to the motherboard with a Dell proprietary and undocumented cable/connector and you will lost the front panel jack capability.

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 10:43 am    

Thank you Jack. That answers my question perfectly. I will now pursue the Audigy Se card. That will also make all the difference in the world with stuff like BIAB tracks as well. I can live without the headphone out jack. I will be using the headphone out from my mixer board anyway. Regards, Rich.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 2:41 pm    

When you get ready to install the sound card, disable the integrated audio in the BIOS first. You don't have to uninstall the Soundmax software, just disable it in the BIOS.

David Hartley

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2008 11:57 am     hi guys

there are a few familiar faces on this recording forum.. doesnt anyone use a good old multitracker these days apart from me.. i just think ears are better than eyes when mixing and hearing music.. i am typing with one finger as i am laying down with backache tonight.. hazard of being a steel guitarist..david

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2008 11:48 am    

Heyya David,

If you're referring to multi-track tape then yep...I still love that sound. I nearly cried the day I sold the Otari 2" machine. The system I went with after analog was PARIS which was originally by Ensoniq and Intelligent Devices. It was digital but sounded like that great analog warmth. (PARIS is no longer developed or supported for the most part)

Still comes down to the ears for the best recordings though...they are the best instrument we've got.

Mike

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2008 4:43 am    

Although I've been digital for a while, with the Fostex VF160, I compared a Steel CD I did with an old 4 track cassette tape Tascam and a Steel CD I did with the Fostex and the Tascam with analog tape made me wish I hadn't sold it.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2008 3:28 pm    

I have an old friend in Fort Worth, and last time I heard, he still had a Studer A800 24-track...

Of course he bought it new (yep, he's got that much money, paid cash if I remember right), now what's it worth???

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2008 8:35 am    

Bill, I can't tell you what they go for today because I couldn't find any on ebay and thats what I judge used recording equipment by. But about a year ago I seen one with less than 900 hours on it got with the complete setup other than the board sell for less than 1000.00 bucks. I couldn't believe it.

What did they sell for new 50k or more? Thats quite a loss for someone that bought one new. But just a thought they might be going for quite a bit more today due to older vintage equipment coming back into fashion. Many folks have realized the vintage recorders and effects still have a place in recording.

If I had the money I would buy one and do my tracking on it and then transfer to digital DAW on the computer for editing and mixing. That way I'd have the best of both worlds. The warmth of analog tracking then the convenience of digital.

Anyway I doubt if they will ever come back into popularity in main stream recording due to the easiness of digital and the high maintenance of the older equipment. Just my thoughts though Smile

Bob

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 2:15 pm    

Before I sold the 2" machine, I xfer'd a ton of stuff over to the DAW. I can say first hand that what Bob is saying will definately work well. Fortunately, I sold that machine before the price really tanked (Otari MX-80) and got around 9k for it. I've seen them lately for around $3,500. You might get some of the older Studers for that but you'd need to buy some spare parts, alignment tape, tone generator, a demagnatizer and...2" tape is not cheap (not to mention they are v-e-r-y heavy).

Another idea is to purchase a handful of channel strips or stand alone tube pre's and run everything through those first and then into the DAW. Again, not cheap but you can definately hear the difference.

Jack, sorry to highjack your post. Sonar is a great program with a lot of depth and will likely be developed for years, especially since Roland has now become more involved in the equity of Cakewalk.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 4:14 pm    

Mike, it's OK. I'm getting a lot of info out of this post.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 8:20 am    

Jack, have you got into doing any recording yet? Or are you still getting oriented with the interface? I'd like to hear some of your music when you get some recorded. I'd also like to hear some stuff from your old Fostex and compare them. I've got a friend in Ca. that is thinking about getting into digital after 35 yrs with analog Smile He's a lot like me he's limited with his fun money. So Fostex is one of the digital machines I suggested due to it's good price and ease of use.

So he's wanting to get an idea of what they sound like. I know you've probably done some projects on the Fostex that have turned out good.

Any way let me know how its going with your new DAW.

Bob

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 9:46 am    

Bob, I haven't done much at all with the new Sonar. I got done touring with Tommy Cash and crashed for a couple of days. I've still got two CD projects to complete for two singers using the Fostex and then I'll start the "learning curve" with Sonar.

I want to do another Steel Guitar instrumental CD this Summer using Sonar. I've got the fabulous lead guitar picker Ray Riggs that has committed to working on the project with me (Ray was also one of the horn players in the old Buck Owens "Bakersfield Brass" trio).

Send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll send you some samples from the Fostex VF160.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 1:03 pm    

Thanks Jack will do Smile

Bob