The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GarageBand Questions.. help please
Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 5:03 pm    

Hello and thanks in advance,
Can a person get a professional sounding recording with GarageBand? Can I transfer a song to a CD straight from Garageband without making it an Mp3 first?
How do I save a song as an archive? Another forum member advised me to do this but I can't figure it out. Don

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 7:09 pm     Re: GarageBand Questions.. help please

Don McClellan wrote:
Hello and thanks in advance,
Can a person get a professional sounding recording with GarageBand?

yes with a knowledgeable engineer

Don McClellan wrote:
Can I transfer a song to a CD straight from Garageband without making it an Mp3 first?

Yes under the SHARE menu, go to BURN SONG TO CD

Don McClellan wrote:
How do I save a song as an archive? Another forum member advised me to do this but I can't figure it out.

Home Index

Saving a project as an archive
If a project contains Real Instrument loops or a movie, you can save the project as an archive. When you save as an archive, Real Instrument loops or a movie added to the project are saved in the project, along with your recordings and changes.

Saving as an archive is useful if you move a project to another computer that may not have the same loops in its loop library, or if you ever move or delete any loops a project uses.

To save a project as an archive:

Choose File > Save As.

In the Save As dialog, select the “Save as Archive” checkbox.

Saving a song as an archive adds any Real Instrument loops that are not part of the original GarageBand loop library to the project. Saving as an archive can increase the file size of the project. If your project uses a large number of loops, the file size can become very large.

If you intend to open a song containing Software Instrument loops on another computer, the other computer must have the Software Instruments for the loops installed in order for them to play. You can also convert the Software Instrument loops to Real Instrument loops and they will play on any computer.

Hope that helps

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2008 12:52 pm    

Don I replied to your email, but in case anyone else is interested:

I think you only need to save as an archive if you're going to take the session to another computer that doesn't have your loops on it, all it really does I believe is convert the loops to actual audio files and save them with the song, I'm not sure you need to do this. My guess is that the "save as archive" only becomes available when you have loops in the session, if it's all audio files, the option is probably grayed out.

That said, you should absolutely be backing up your projects on to another drive that you keep somewhere else, if you're recording anything important, I use a program called Retrospect to archive projects but there are lots of other options.

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2008 11:13 am    

Chris, Thanks again but two songs I recorded, both with midi loops and real instrument loops, as well as effects and lots of minute editing, would not open from a data CD made from the same computer. But I think I just figured the problem out. Evidently you need to "Save as Archive" a song with real instrument loops in order to save it onto a CD even if you only intend to reopen it into the same computer you got it from. This is a good thing to know and not have to learn the hard way. Don